Wildflower Wallet - Spring Is In the Air Challenge Entry

I made myself a wallet using this pattern. Now, no matter the season, I’ll be able to experience a Springy explosion of wildflowers any time I pull this out of my purse!

In 2020, I absolutely fell in love with Kona Cotton’s color of the year, ‘Enchanted.’ I bought a little over 6 yards, but haven’t used very much of it since then. While at a quilt show this year, I came across a half yard of canvas fabric from Rifle Paper Co’s Meadow collection. I instantly imagined myself using it to make a wallet. When I got home after purchasing it, I pulled out various stash fabrics to see if I had anything that would complement it. I wanted to use a solid in order to prevent the wallet from becoming too busy and I was thrilled to see that my Enchanted Kona cotton worked perfectly with the floral fabric. Now I’ll get to see that rich green color anytime I pull my wallet out! I had originally planned on using a green thread that would basically disappear into the green fabric, but after reading a tip about using contrasting thread, I started thinking about my thread options. I decided to use some gold holoshimmer thread I had on hand. Not only is it metallic, but it has a holographic shimmer to it and it looks looks very luxe against the green.

I made a few changes to the wallet pattern. I flipped the zipper pocket so that my zipper is closer to the top of the wallet rather than the card pockets. I also chose to show more of the patterned fabric rather than the solid fabric when constructing the pockets (to see the differences I’m talking about, you can click the link above, and see a few pictures of wallets made according to the pattern instructions). The instructions were well written and I love my new wallet. My only complaint, is the wrinkled fabric at the wallet fold. I tried everything to get rid of those wrinkles and get a nice crisp crease, but all my efforts were in vain. :woman_shrugging:

It was really hard to capture the actual color of the green fabric. This pic comes the closest to how it looks in real life.

And last, but not least, an action shot :smile: .

31 Likes

This looks great! I love that you found that beautiful fabric AND it matched your beloved solid!

It is very classy. And your little custom changes to suit you are great too. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I love that floral print! And the green color is beautiful, as you say. I would love to have a wallet that looked like that!

1 Like

Wow!! That floral is gorgeous and the green solid is the perfect compliment. I love the little tassel on your zipper.

Seriously impressive and a great springtime contest entry!

1 Like

So pretty! I love your fabric pairing and that thread(!) - it’s really cool.

1 Like

So excited to try this pattern. I had a store bought fabric wallet many moons ago which I loved. I’ve never found one since that I liked as much as it. You just don’t see fabric ones these days. Definitely bookmarking this one.

1 Like

So glad you used up some favorite stashed fabric! Always nice to be able to customize a wallet to how you want it!

I really love the hardware that you used…I had not seen anything like that before! Sure makes the wallet much more secure!

Did you try ironing over cardboard to make a nice crisp crease? I sure wouldn’t worry about it…it is in the inside … You could also try just stitching down the center with matching thread or the nice topstitching thread you used everywhere else.

Great job!

3 Likes

Thank you so much, everyone!

I decided I’ll call this my ‘wildflower wallet,’ so I changed the title of my post to reflect that :blush:.

@AIMR I did consider stitching a line down the middle, but I wasn’t sure if it would make a difference. I did not try ironing over cardboard, I will definitely tuck that tip away for future projects!

You’re right! In all reality, I probably won’t even notice it while the wallet is in use.

3 Likes

Absolutely STUNNING my friend! What a great way to start of the Spring is in the Air Challenge!!!

1 Like

This is soooo gorgeous! The fabrics are sooooo pretty and make me think of better spring days ahead.

I actually purchased a wallet made with the same pattern at a craft fair (even though yours is prettier) and it’s a super smart idea to put the zipper the other direction! I used mine until it started to wear out. It’s a lovely design and you can stuff a LOT in there! I will tell you that the crease becomes more prominent the longer you use the wallet. You won’t notice it after a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is beautiful! The print and the solid work so well together, for this wallet pattern, and with that hardware!

1 Like

Thank you, all!

@J-squared - Here is another fabric wallet pattern I came across (if you look through her shop, you can see multiple examples of the wallet with different fabrics). I’m used to having more card pockets, so I seriously considered using this pattern instead, but I finally decided that since I had already bought the pattern and hardware for the diva frame wallet, that downsizing the amount of pockets wouldn’t be that big of a deal (and I was right, it wasn’t :smiling_face:).

1 Like

I made a small card case to carry all the reward cards, excess credit cards, etc. I have them if I need them, but not in my wallet. You could do that with some of your leftover fabric…

1 Like

Pretty! I recognized that fabric as Rifle Paper Co because we sell some rugs where I work that are also a collab with them and the flowers looked familiar!

1 Like

That fabric is gorgeous! The entire things looks amazing. I am glad you will get to see your beautiful colored fabric all the time now!

2 Likes

So pretty! I love that this fabric that you fell in love with is something you’ll get to see all the time.

2 Likes

Great job…it’s beautiful! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind comments!

@AIMR, great minds think alike! I actually put all my extra cards into a little zipper pouch the last time I changed my wallet :blush:.

@MegAskunk, I looked up their rugs. Very pretty (and very pricey)!

@gozer and @Bunny1kenobi, I love that I’ll see my enchanted green fabric all the time! Just earlier today I had the thought, ‘do I need to buy a bolt of that fabric? Would I even be able to find a bolt of it?’ Lol, I still have 5 yards of untouched fabric, I do not need a bolt of it :laughing:.

@Robynsteiner, thank you and welcome to LettuceCraft (the best place on the internet :relaxed:)!

4 Likes

:tulip: :sunflower: Congrats! This project is bloomin’ fantastic and one of this week’s featured projects! :sunflower: :tulip:

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

1 Like