Wizard Tabard

So this year we went to a huge renaissance fair in Colorado. We were determined to be well dressed for it, and I decided I would make my husband part of his outfit. I was filled with so much undeserved confidence in my own sewing abilities. I’ve made face masks and drawstring bags, and skirts for my kids. My sewing skills are extremely novice. I’m not sure why I thought I could take on this endeavor, but I did and I totally succeeded!!! Not only is this adult male XL sized but it has PIPING!! I’ve never done piping, or anything adult sized. I must say that all the credit goes to the maker of this pattern and her awesome tutorial that went with. I used a linen blend for the main part of the tabard, and a cheap black cotton for the lining. I went rogue a bit and did eyelets instead of the sewn in loops on the sides of the tabard, because it was hurting my head to figure it out. We also found these metal clasps that I hand sewed at Hobby Lobby that were ultimately useless, but they looked nice. I don’t recommend them.

20 Likes

Totally awesome! And love the action shots; it looks great on him!

2 Likes

Look at you, fancy-sewing! Nice!

1 Like

Fantastic costume! You did an amazing job on it!

(And he helped by growing that beard!! :grin:)

1 Like

Way to go with your bad self!

1 Like

Oh, Jillybeans this is so great I’m so glad that you guys went all out with the outfits.

1 Like

Nice level up! The piping looks great; can’t wait to see what you do next! :wink:

(but yeah, those metal clasps only really stay clasped when they’re under a little bit of tension or strapped down, which is why you only really see that sort of clasp on belts in actual historical things.)

1 Like

It came out so awesome!!! Go you!!

1 Like

You did an awesome job! He looks great.

1 Like

:bulb: Congratulations! This brilliant project is featured this week! :bulb:

1 Like

Happy birthday, @jillybeans ! I hope you have a magical day! (See what I did there? Lol)
:man_mage::cupcake:

2 Likes

Ah-mazeballs! You did a wicked job with this.

1 Like

You are an excellent seamstress!

1 Like

That piping really sets this off, that gold really complements the burgundy! The eyelets were a good alternative to the sewn in loops. I would’ve never guessed that they weren’t original to the pattern.

I would say that based on this project, you’ve definitely earned the right to be confident in your sewing abilities!

1 Like

Thank you!!! <3

1 Like