CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

You don’t have to ask this lady twice to assemble when you have that many stacked cookies :heart: Hand 'em over lol! But in all seriousness, I really like this page and all the elements in it.

1 Like

I have a question… a while ago I found a post that explained what the different types of projects were (zap, research, tutorial, etc…) and now I can’t find it. Can someone direct me to it?

I was also wondering if this post would be considered a tutorial:

Thank you for any clarification :slight_smile:
P.S. I’m so glad I found this site, and I appreciate you all :heart:

2 Likes

That’s the first post of this thread; the breakdown is a ways down, under “The Points” (after the team and header info).

It’ll also be in the first post of any season’s thread – when the fall Games start, the new thread will have the info again so you don’t have to hunt down past seasons for it.

3 Likes

I think that counts as a tutorial. Welcome to the Nerd Games! :hearts:

2 Likes

Prompt: August- Dish Soap
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: Chest and coins
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made the chest last year but painted it for this project. I also made all of the circular coins and painted them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August- Bleach
Project Name: Phantom ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Christine’s dress is pastel blue
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Prompt: Textbook - Big Time projects
Project Name: Wizard Tabard
Project Link: Wizard Tabard
Brief Description: I made this wizard tabard for my husband last month for the renaissance fair! It was the first time I’ve ever done anything this large and wearable! I was pretty nervous about it, but I did it! It even has piping and eyelets! It was definitely a lot of work!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Pop art (July)
Project Name: Candy Corn Coasters
Project Link: Candy Corn Coasters!
Brief Description: This was a stash buster project that I made for the Grab Bag swap! Cut up scraps of fabric into 1.5" strips and sewed them together. Then I cut out the candy corn shape and added backing! The bright colors definitely make it pop-art! :wink:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Dish Soap (August)
Project Name: Lemon Pom Pom Garland
Project Link: Lemon Pom Pom Garland
Brief Description: I made two of these lemon pom pom garlands for the grab bag swap. They might but circular in shape, but they still somehow look like lemons!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: All-Purpose Cleaner (August)
Project Name: Sausage and Mushroom Quiche
Project Link: Sausage and Mushroom Quiche
Brief Description: I was craving quiche last week, so I made this one for my lunches that week. It was a bit time consuming and had multiple steps but in the end was so worth it!! It was amazing!!
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: July - Cubism
Team: Sherlock Holmes
Project Name: Card set
Project Link:
Brief Description: A set of cards has many pieces.
Project Photo(s):
washicardset-sm

Prompt: July - Impressionism
Project Name: Bear 1 ATC
Project Link: Pocket Letter Trios
Brief Description: This bear looks soft and his fur is textured. (one of a trio from the mini pocket letter swap)
Project Photo(s):
23acs3bfn1-sm

Prompt: August Battle - Vacuum
Project Name: Bear 2 ATC
Brief Description: If this little bear shed, I think the vacuum would be the best way to clean it up. :slight_smile: (one of a trio from the mini pocket letter swap)
Project Photo(s):
23acs3bfn2-sm

Prompt: August - All Purpose Cleaner
Project Name: Bear 3 ATC
Brief Description: There are multiple colors in this card (one of a trio from the mini pocket letter swap)
Project Photo(s):
23acs3bfn3-sm

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: MMmmmm…Strings! ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: The texture of the paper gave it a speckled color texture.
Project Photo(s):
23acsmmsbah-sm

Prompt: August - Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Tweets of Love mini cards
Project Link:
Brief Description: All these little notecards are square! (2"x2")
Project Photo(s):
twolctbtsgb

Prompt: August - Bleach
Project Name: Owl & Bunny envies
Project Link:
Brief Description: These envies are pastel colors!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Dish Soap
Project Name: Cat & Raccoon envies
Project Link:
Brief Description: These envies feature a round-ish cat with round eyes and roundish address area plus a blue envie for the raccoon.
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

The animals on these envies are sooo cute. I especially love the owl :heart: :owl:

1 Like

Welcome to the Games, LindyBlues! I’m so glad you jumped in and can’t wait to see more of your creativity!

2 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Midnight Burger Fan Art
Project Link: Zebulon and Effie Mucklewain
Brief Description: I love the podcast Midnight Burger! It’s heartwarming and quirky and hysterical! This little piece depicts 2 of my favorite characters (who am I kidding—they are ALL my favorites!) who live in an old-time radio. They are Zebulon and Effie Mucklewain from Toadsuck, Arkansas (and they are, apparently, “the Hot Ones”. If you listen, you’ll know why that’s kind of funny). They offer advice, support, and hysterical commentary. I laugh out loud every single time I listen!
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Added a link. :point_up_2:

2 Likes

Anniversary/Retrospective

Finally joining the Nerd Games. Some of my favourites from the past 10 years. (A few of the more recent ones have been posted):

9 Likes

Awesome projects @SewCrafty ! I’m so glad you hopped into the fun!

4 Likes

Yay, another nerd! So glad you all are joining us!

3 Likes

Those bears are unbearably cute! :wink:

3 Likes

That dress (tunic?) :heart_eyes:

I love the variety of projects here.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Prompt: August Battle–Dish Soap
Project Name: Stuffed Zuchinni (vegan or vegetarian)
Project Link: Stuffed Zuchinni (vegetarian or vegan)
Brief Description: A way to use up those giant zuchinnis… and have lots of leftovers. While making this, it has to simmer, which means it bubbles just under the boiling point :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

I forgot to take a photo before I cut it up to store it in the fridge… oops!

I hope I did this right; it’s my first entry besides the anniversary one :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Project Name: Ugly storage
Project Link:
Brief Description: I recently moved and trying to find effective storage for things can be tricky. We have WAY too much stuff. So I cobbled together bits of moving boxes and made these storage bins (the ones with the orange and blue tape on them) so that I can slide them out of the cupboard kind of like drawers, to make it easier to find stuff. They are not pretty. They are not even “pretty -adjacent”!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Chaos x-stitch
Project Link:
Brief Description: This cross stitch will likely end up in my STS shop.
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Prompt: August Battle - Broom
Team: Team Columbo
Project Name: Esquites
Project Link:
Brief Description: We got corn on the cob from our CSA and I made esquites. I used a broom to clean up all the corn strewn around my kitchen after cutting it off the cob. :sweat_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Bloomin onion
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner found an air fryer recipe for a bloomin’ onion. I tried to do it. It was okay…but definitely not good. The air fryer is not a deep fryer, lol. The onion was very delicate after cutting it.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Dish Soap
Project Name: Felt donut
Project Link:
Brief Description: Continuing my easy bed time craft kits, this felt donut is circular and may end up living in my kitchen.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: Card folders
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve been upping my card writing game, and decorated some card folders with washi - many of which are speckled with images (and also rubbing off that tape residue is very gritty).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Bleach
Project Name: Chili
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made a big pot of delicious chili. My best batch in a while. And the house smelled wonderful for a day. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - All-Purpose Cleaner
Project Name: Felt taco
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made a felt taco, too. Has multiple colors, shapes, and parts. He’s got a clip so he can hang off a bag (or maybe be a huge keychain, lol).

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Felt kitty
Project Link:
Brief Description: And a felt kitty in a pumpkin.

Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Chorizo Tacos
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made tacos. I actually made two batches, but forgot to take a photo of the ones with fried shells.

Project Photo(s):

tacos - Copy

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Needle punch
Project Link:
Brief Description: I did this needle punch kit over the past few days. I frogged it so many times I’m actually surprised the fabric was still holding together at the end.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Superman Magnet
Project Link:
Brief Description: One of my card recipients likes Superman. I made a superman magnet with my printer and Zyron. It’s about 5 inches across at the widest part.

Project Photo(s):

superman magnet - Copy

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Lunch
Project Link:
Brief Description: This looks so dumb to submit, but I made a fancy mustard sauce for the croissant sandwiches, which you can barely see on the bottom under the cheese, lol. It was mayo, dijon and whole grain mustard, lemon juice, honey, and garlic powder. Yum.

Project Photo(s):

8 Likes