Wolf Mug Mat

The adventures in sewing continue! Using this tutorial from the In Color Order blog, I made this mug mat for my aunt who loves wolves. Tried out some free-style quilting, which came out…ok? I wasn’t trying to be perfect. But the back is a little puffy. I still haven’t quite got the hang of my Brother machine, which has feed dogs that can be lowered. This was done on my Kenmore which is only good for regular sewing.

FRONT:

BACK

I think I may have the wrong kind of open quilting foot for my Brother, I think I bought a high shank instead of a low shank foot. damn generic presser feet from Amazon… Anyone recommend a site to purchase parts for a CS5055 PRW Brother?

14 Likes

Great fabrics, love the woodsy green.
Maybe check out the brother site for parts numbers, then Google that.

1 Like

I have a Brother…if you are going to do a lot of quilting, I would get a walking foot. I got mine on Amazon for about $20…I have had it for years. I use low shank for both my Kenmore and my Brother. I prefer my Kenmore which basically does nothing…lol

Nice job on the mat…it looks very good!

1 Like

I think the mug rug looks wonderful! Great fabric choices, too!

1 Like

You know, I bought a walking foot, and I keep forgetting to try it. But I heard those were not great for curves? Only good for straight line quilting?

I did try that, but I run into trouble with 3rd party sellers listing every machine brand under the sun as compatible for they part… maybe that’s just a problem on amazon. I’ll have to look again. And confirm whether or not my Brother is high or low shank…

1 Like

Makes me nuts how they allow random keywords to influence search engines. I search for 100% cotton king sheet set, and I get results for twin microfiber flat sheets–apparently because there’s an ad for cotton kings on the page.

Try the shopping tag on Google. That will show more vendors than Amazon. It’s still a slog to sort it all out.

3 Likes

I use my walking foot for anything that is more than three layers…it just takes practice. Of course, for free motion quilting, I really prefer the regular quilting foot with feed dogs down (not engaged?)…your quilting looks excellent…so you are doing it right however! lol

2 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

This is gorgeous!

1 Like

It looks great. The expression of the wolves is so intense!

2 Likes

Thanks guys! She’s also getting a face mask of the wolf fabric. LOL. Gotta use it up!

Really great pattern paired with the moss green. This is NOICE !!!

1 Like

Rad! Looks well made and fierce!

1 Like