2020 DeStash-Along

I utilized my ‘work on the first thing you see’ method again. I was in the mood to sew an actual project, lately all my sewing has been mending, so took down a random fabric box and got started. I have had this fabric for at least 10 years. I fell in love with colors.

Simple kimono/jacket thing, basically just 3 rectangles.

10 Likes

It’s gorgeous.

2 Likes

It’s very pretty. I love the fabric!

2 Likes

I can get three of the size directly above out of a fat quarter, but that’s one of the “larger” sizes I make.

@TheMistressT I had to google what a bahn mi was, but they sound delicious. How did the baguettes turn out? And as always, your pop-up cards are amazing.

@lady4feet That looks so comfy! How wonderful to be able to just pull something out of stash and whip up a beautiful garment.

I have my patented May Monthly Reckoning to share

This past month I made

• 6 surgical masks
  • 2 itty bitty boxy pouches
  • 29 doll dresses
  • 1 doll sweater

So that means I used up

• 1 yard + 25 inches of fabric
  • 84 inches of elastic
  • 67 inches of ribbon
  • ~ 40 yards of yarn
    plus some buttons and key-chain findings

Someday I may even get some pictures, but for now I will bore you with the numbers.

7 Likes

Love it! I have failed at my attempt to sew what I come across…too many distractions!

Can’t wait to see what you destash next!

2 Likes

Thanks! The baguettes turned out really well! Definitely better than the baguettes we can get at our local grocery stores, probably not as good as from a specialty bakery - any of which we’re about 25 miles away from. :wink:

3 Likes

:orange_heart: June Themes :orange_heart:

by accident by splityarn, on Flickr

Color: Orange
Pattern: Swirls
For: Teachers/Educators
Challenge: Make something “green” using things found in nature or from recycled materials

7 Likes

I guess I have been doing some paper stash busting over the last month or two as many of my Cricut-made projects have been made from mostly or all stash!

M-DayNests01

02Buttons

Whew!

I am excited that I think my next project might cover two of May’s themes! I hardly ever can follow a theme!

10 Likes

You have some serious cricut skills! Your projects look amazing.

1 Like

Aw, thanks! It’s mostly about following directions and little bit of experience.

1 Like

@TheMistressT That butterfly box is amaaaaazing!

1 Like

THANK YOU! The recipient was tickled!

2 Likes

I’ve made a dent in my fabric stash…not as much as I would have thought with all the mask making, but I did get rid of some fabrics I probably would have never used otherwise.

I’ve produced somewhere between 200 and 300, and probably closer to 300 masks so far. I lost count along the way and it really doesn’t matter.

Now that all hospital employees are returning to work in our state, reusable masks are in demand again. And we have a wear a mask rule, though CVS did not enforce it’s “you are required to wear a mask” rule today. 2 out of around 10 shoppers did not have masks. But they were pretty good about distancing.

11 Likes

@marionberries - That’s a really impressive number! And aren’t masks great for putting a dent in stash? The hardest part is figuring out what fabrics to part with. Do I spy some holly berries in this batch?

1 Like

Yes, Christmas in June! Oh well, so far the masks get snapped up so fast I don’t think most healthcare workers care what’s on them. It should get a chuckle out of folks.

And yes, it’s hard picking out the fabric, on one hand, if I think it is ugly, why am I making masks out of it, but if I like the fabric, it’s hard to part with. :laughing: I am getting to the better-looking fabric out of necessity. Sometimes you just have to give up the good stuff. Such a small sacrifice in these days. And then I can always buy more!

4 Likes

I helped Delia put together a bread bag for TheMisterT for Fathers Day! It uses orange what I am going to consider a swirl so YEY ME for getting a couple of the prompts for once!

BreadBag03

ALL STASH! I used most of the rest of the cotton canvas I had, all but a few inches of the twill tape I received from another crafter years ago, hem tape from a thrift store bag-o-trims, and cross stitch supplies on hand. WOO!

8 Likes

I did another all stash project this morning: catnip kicker toys. I intended to make only one as a gift, but by making 3 I used up ALL of this old Ikea fabric. Everything else was stash, including the catnip that I found last week from putting it away at xmas.

KittyKickerToys01

6 Likes

Well, I’ve been rubbish at paying any attention to the monthly challenges. But I did do some destashing this week, making a little suit coat for my 10 yr old ds. Here’s the full post: Starry suit coat and tie

3 Likes

@marionberries almost 300 masks! Holy smokes!! That’s awesome! I made 4 and was tapped out of motivation lol.

I have been home all week from work so decided to tackle a UFO. I started this backpack last year, intending on having it finished to use on last summers vacation. But part way through I realized I should have planned better because installing a liner was going to be a pain so I sat it aside. And I was right, I ended up having to handsew the liner in. I started trying to make the stitches perfect but quickly gave up and am happy with the results.

The straps, zippers and back piece were scavenged from a old backpack that had to be retired. The pattern part of the liner is a piece of fabric I got years ago in a swap, it was the perfect size! The Sakura figurine I decided to use as a zipper pull I received in a swap too. She has been waiting on a shelf for years for the perfect job.

10 Likes

Really pretty backpack, @lady4feet! And, way to go, tackling an old UFO and finishing it up.

I’ve had this wool in my stash for years. I dyed it with food coloring, but used too much dye, so it was bleeding everywhere and I didn’t want to touch it. I finally got it back out, spun it up and set the twist and the color at the same time.

10 Likes