2024 DeStash Along

This month I ended up with more yarn than I started with - my grandma gave me a bunch of yarn! I meant to start a project for her using some of it, but got distracted making mushrooms. :laughing: Next month!

Yarn!

This baby blanket was made completely from stash!

Mushrooms! I used up some yarn that’s been in my stash for a long time.

ATCs used up a little bit of paper - two pictures are blurred because they’re still in the mail (spoilers for gozer and bluebird):

9 Likes

Gorgeous projects!!

1 Like

June Themes

Imgur

Color: Orange
Pattern: Geometric
For: Outside
Challenge 1: Use a supply in an unexpected way.
Challenge 2: Craft in public

6 Likes

I’ve really made some progress over the last week. I’ve finished two quilts, a third is almost finished. 2/3 are scrap quilts, too. I’ve started sewing a scrappy binding for a fourth that I hope to finish soon.

I went through my cross stitch and embroidery UFOs and decided I was never going to finish one of them. I salvaged the thread (I salvage all good quality leftover embroidery thread, which is why I have most colours in my stash) and the half-finished piece itself is on the way to Canada.

I’m working on another large cross stitch project now. I started it in college and it was meant for my future baby’s nursery walls. For a long time it got me down, but not anymore, so when it’s done I’ll put it in my own room instead.

I’m also collecting all my Christmas WIPs in one basket for the upcoming Christmas in July challenge in the Christmas Craftalong!

4 Likes

I am not ready to start Christmas crafting yet. :flushed: I feel like I somehow just got done with that.

I busted 500g of cotton yarn that’s been in my stash for a few years. Bonus, now it’s a cute sweater!

12 Likes

That’s a great cardigan, looks really comfy and versatile!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I used up a spool of sewing thread! Not a big thing, but I’ve got so many different colours of thread, and this was an odd shade of green. I currently have two boxes of machine sewing thread, filled to the brim and I’d like to see that reduced to one. One is similar to this one, 40 SPOOL THREAD ORGANISER | Thread organisers | Work boxes and storage | Equipment but twice as many spools in it than it should have, plus there’s a plastic ice cream container that holds even more. It would be different if all the shades were different but a lot of them are similar. I think at least half of them were inherited or otherwise passed on to me, I only buy new when I really have to.

7 Likes

I managed to pass on a carrier bagful of yarn to my Mum’s friend. Then got told off by her husband as they are trying to declutter!! Ooops!!

7 Likes

I have now completed four sundresses completely from stash.
It has been up to 110° this week, so they are getting a lot of use!

9 Likes

I finally listed my loom for sale. Here’s hoping it sells soon and I can reclaim some space!

10 Likes

I took stock of what’s in my pantry and I found a sausage-making kit that was gifted to us a while ago, so we made sausages this weekend and put them in the freezer. Not sure if that counts as crafting but it felt like stash. We have a small freezer, only two drawers, we actually eat what’s in there.

I also listed a few things for free pickup and they all have new homes now. I realized that a lot of the things I end up destashing, whether it’s a cross stitch kit, diamond painting kit, tea or laundry detergent (a sample that came for free with our grocery delivery) are things that were gifts. I only get a handful of gifts every year and I don’t feel like I’m a person with impossibly high standards, but it seems like a lot of gifts are just stuff I’d rather not have.

8 Likes

I might have a buyer :tada::tada:. She needs to measure to make sure it will fit in her car but if so, she should be coming to pick it up on Friday!

Edited to add - this is only one of my looms, I’ll still have plenty all over my house :joy:

9 Likes

But it still creates space, right? And reduces the looming to-do feeling of languishing supplies and tools.

(Looming, ha!)

7 Likes

Yes! Now I can finally put together the Alex drawers I bought to go by my easel. I’m looking forward to having more storage space.

3 Likes

Ahahaha!!

The woman is coming to pick up the loom tomorrow :).

Then on Saturday I’m going to a weaving meetup where I already have confirmed buyers for 3 small looms, some books, and some cross stitch fabric. And interest in some yarn and shuttles.

Feels good to rehome supplies to people who will use them!

12 Likes

I tackled my yarn stash today and re-organized it. Everything got grouped into projects. I searched through patterns on ravelry and got almost everything into my queue (pattern + yarn). The sock yarns (that will probably all be used for vanilla socks) and the one-off skeins (which can easily be turned into hats and mitts) don’t really need to be queued up - I’ll use those up as I need small, easy projects.

I’ve come to terms with the fact that those pretty cotton gradient yarns aren’t getting used for the crochet shawls/baby blankets I intended them for. Crocheting aggravates my bad shoulder. So, I’ll be destashing most of those.

11 Likes

Ok in the last 2 days I’ve sold 5 looms, 5 books, 2 shuttles, and 33lbs of yarn. Now I need a nap.

13 Likes

I came across this picture on pinterest: https://pin.it/5bjREzNe2

There’s no pattern but it would be easy to figure it out, and it would be a great way to use up bits of yarn.

3 Likes