A walk in the Unicorn šŸ¦„ Forest mosaic blanket

This is my second Sholach blanketā€¦ and my favorite!!! The rainbow colors are vibrant, and make me think of unicorns, magical forests, and other mythical beings. It is really early to call it, but I think this will be my favorite finish of 2022 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Here it is a closer up view:

Here is the full view:

And here it is even closer up with the flash on to see the colors a little better:

37 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing and must have taken so long, crazy awesome!

2 Likes

Itā€™s so so so pretty! For some reason it makes me think of cozying up by the fire in a log cabin! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ummmm I want this blanket!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love mosaic crochet! Your blanket is amazing :blush:

1 Like

Wow, I just love this! Tree images are a favorite of mine and something about the stripes and the color changes reminds me of Pendleton blankets (also a favorite of mine).

2 Likes

This is amazing! Hard to believe itā€™s crochet, wow. It reminds me of a warm cozy sweater.

2 Likes

Youā€™re killing me with these trees. I loved the other one you did and this one is even more ā€œwow!ā€ Definitely a favorite of 2022!

1 Like

Just gorgeous! You are making me want to buy that pattern!

1 Like

Gorgeous!!!

1 Like

Right? Iā€™ve looked at it a few times since the first blanket was posted but I am stopping myself until I use up some yarns I already own (which, of course, are not suitable for this! Ainā€™t that always the way? haha)

3 Likes

Beautiful!! I need to learn to crochet one of these days.

1 Like

Itā€™s amazing the detail you can get with yarn! It reminds me of weaving!

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Ooh, this one is a stunner, wow.
Whatā€™s the edge finishing like? Are there lots of yarn ends like other mosaic crochet?
Iā€™m temptedā€¦ I have a ball of mandala rainbowā€¦ I could try it lapghan size.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning!

1 Like

This is worked from side to side, bottom to top. You cut the yarn at the end of every row, so you have several choices. Incorporate the ends as fringe (I donā€™t like fringe much, and definitely not on the sides of a blanket), weave in a bazillion ends (HAHAHAHA! Yeah right), or do an envelope border.

I did the envelope border on this. There are video tutorials on it, but you surface slip stitch all the way around the top of the blanket. Then on the wrong side, you work several rounds of double crochet (I did 3 rounds) in the back loop of the slip stitches (this is the worst part of the whole blanket. It took me four hours to do the first round because itā€™s a pain to get the hook in that tiny space, but itā€™s worth it. The remaining rounds went way faster). After you work a few rounds on the back, you cut the yarn and flip over and work through the back loop of the slip stitches on the front. This side is much easier to work than the first round.

Once you finish your final round of double crochet (again, I did 3 rounds), you then join by single crocheting around through both layers. This creates an envelope that hides those ends. I love how it the border is sturdy. I hate it when I do a single thickness border that is floppy and looks too wimpy.

Anyway, I hope my novel length description didnā€™t scare you away. Do try it! :hearts:

4 Likes

How long did the entire blanket take you? It looks incredible and super snuggly and toasty warn. Youā€™re going to have a hard time beating this in 2022!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t time the project. More than 50 hours. I am making a third one in a different Mandala yarn color. I am timing this one as I go to have a rough idea of how long it takes. :smiley:

Edited to add: It looks like I started this on December 13. I had to take a break from it for 3 days to make 10 washcloths, plus I didnā€™t work on it Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or NYE. So it took me a solid two weeks to finish it if you subtract out the days I didnā€™t work on it. Iā€™m sure I skipped a few days here and there as well.

4 Likes

Whoa! That is crazy amazing.

1 Like