ALL NEW, REIMAGINED Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring 2024

Thank you!

Awesome journal!

1 Like

Thanks! Junk journals are so much fun.

1 Like

Wow @tendstowardschaos that journal is FAB!!

Prompt/Challenge Title: Crafter’s Choice
Project Name & Page Link:JoshyBear’s Comfy Cardi
Team: Quibbler
Brief Description:
A dolly YouTuber I love shared this pattern. I got through the first sleeve and partway through the 2nd before figuring out I didn’t have enough yarn. I ended up frogging back to a short sleeve and was able to finish the sweater with about 8" of yarn left LOL! I love how it turned out and will definitely be making more!

6 Likes

Thank you!

That’s a super cute cardi!

1 Like

That’s really cute!

1 Like

:sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles:

Four whole months into our reimagined Craftalong! Apologies for my extended absence during baby birthday, house guests, and Garage Sale. I’m back now, and thrilled to have carved out the time for a points update. Let’s take a look at where we stand in terms of project submissions

:woman_mage: Witch Weekly :mage: :crystal_ball: :man_mage:
4 readers, 220 beans, for an average of 55 beans per reader.

:newspaper_roll: Daily Prophet :newspaper_roll: :owl: :newspaper_roll:
3 readers, 480 beans, for an average of 160 beans per reader.

:cyclone: The Quibbler :cyclone: :sparkles: :cyclone:
3 readers, 500 beans, for an average of 166.66 beans per reader.

:cloud: Which Broomstick
2 readers, 70 beans, for an average of 35 beans per reader.

:sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles: :unicorn: :beers: :owl: :zap: :broom: :mage: :sparkles: :european_castle: :octopus: :zap: :books: :crystal_ball: :sparkles:

How have you all faired this spring? We are scheduled to end this round of the HPC on May 31, giving us just 2 weeks left before we delve into a new round for Summer. Can you believe it?!?! What are you all looking forward to this summer?

4 Likes

Spring has been pretty great. However, this May is exceptionally busy and I’m not a fan of that. I’m so nervous about summer. I do not tolerate heat well. The sun is brutal here.

We have a few vacations this summer that will be fun for the most part. Again, the heat. Even though I have seasonal affective disorder, I think winter is my third favorite season and summer is last.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying spring! It’s finally nice enough out to do yard work, so I haven’t been crafting as much.

This summer I’m looking forward to our yearly camping trip! I’m also looking forward to finally cleaning up the rest of my flowerbeds - they’re pretty overgrown, so it’ll be a lot of work, but they’ll look so much better when it’s done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A New Minister for Magic Mission has been posted!
Remember, completing one earns you 30 Beans!

4 Likes

Prompt/Challenge Title: Privet Drive
Project Name & Page Link: Black + Rainbow Quilted Tote Bag
LC Contest/LC Swap/Charity Item: LC Garage Sale
Team: Witch Weekly
Brief Description: Tote bags are relatively mundane, but necessary for day to day life. Hopefully this one is a bit more cheerful, and a bit less Muggle, with the inclusion of rainbow scrappy patchwork.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Cupboard Under the Stairs
Project Name & Page Link: Stitch 'n Witch Halloween Sampler Quilt
Brief Description:
This quilt perfectly fits my (October) style. I love Halloween, I love black, I love purple, I love witchy things. They all come together in this project.

Prompt/Challenge Title: The Zoo
Project Name & Page Link: When Life Gives You Lemons Quilt
Brief Description:
In any quilt, hopefully the thread disappears into the quilt itself, letting he patchwork shine. For this quilt I used a soft blue thread to quilt the layers, and blend into the blue, white, yellow and lime background.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Dudley’s Second Bedroom
Project Name & Page Link: When Life Gives You Lemons Bottle Coozie, Pillow & Napkins
Brief Description:
My fabric stash is always in need of decluttering, and organization . I try to keep on top of it with cutting and sorting scraps into specific sized precuts, but I also try to avoid adding to the mess by using up as much fabric, scraps, or spare blocks as possible, when creating the main piece. In this instance, I didn’t want the yellow & blue scraps even going into my piles, so I turned them into a Bottle Coozie (lined with Insul-brite), a throw pillow, and picnic napkins.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Gringott’s
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Sari Silk Trivet
Brief Description:
I consider all my pieces of sari silk ribbon yarn to be precious indeed. Maybe its the vivid jewel tones that make me want to hoard it all, and never let it out of it’s safe, cozy yarn drawer? Whatever the reason, I have trouble letting it go. But for this project I wanted to use the good stuff to create something beautiful for the Garage Sale.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Forbidden Forest
Project Name & Page Link: When Life Gives You Lemons - Insulated Tote Bag
Brief Description:
This project contains a component of the natural world: cotton! All coot quilting fabrics and cotton batting to be precise. (With an extra layer of Insul-brite and some interfacing for strength. Shhh, don’t tell.)

6 Likes

Everything looks so good!

1 Like

Wow! Such amazing sewing. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Prompt/Challenge Title: Minister for Magic #1
Project Name & Page Link: Yellow & White Wreath
Brief Description: My husband and I have been working on curb appealing our home. He’s done tons of back breaking yard work, while I did some shopping and decorating. Unfair, it’s true. But he doesn’t want to shop for planters or make wreaths, so the division of labor works for us. For this I took a wreath I had from our last house, that contained magenta and pink peonies, and removed all the pink flowers, then replaced them with white peonies and yellow ranunculus.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Minister for Magic #2
Project Name & Page Link: Repainted Wicker Chair
Brief Description: Since I’m trying to decorate on a budget, and a new wicker chair would have cost a few hundred dollars, I picked one up on Facebook Marketplace for $30. It had been painted flat black and has a shoelace holding part of the arm together, but I don’t really care. No one will actually sit in it. So I brushed it down, sprayed it with 2 coats of Espresso satin spray paint, replaced the cushion, added a throw pillow, and surrounded it with flowers. It’s right outside my studio window, and makes everything more cheerful as I work.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Minister for Magic #3
Project Name & Page Link: Hanging Flowers for Screen Porch
Brief Description: The back screen porch has a vaguely Boho/world traveler vibe. I was able to reuse the furniture and decor from our last home out there, but it’s still a bit blah. A previous owner left a hanging planter, with a very dead plant in it. Since I refuse to water real plants that hang over my head, I took the planter apart, removed the old dirt & coco liner, replaced it with a new liner, and used some silk flowers I had on hand to refill the pot. It doesn’t get direct sunlight, but it is exposed to the elements of a Midwestern winter, so I think it should last a few years at least, before I have to replace the flowers.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Crafter’s Choice #1
Project Name & Page Link: Rainbow Fruit Kebabs
Brief Description: Our neighbors across the street have a little girl Ada’s age, and are expecting again. We were invited to a Gender Reveal party at their house, and were advised to dress in pink for Team Girl, blue for Team Boy, or Rainbow for Team Yay Baby. I wanted to bring something to share, so I decided to continue the rainbow theme, and made rainbow fruit kebabs. I was worried they wouldn’t get eaten, but everyone grabbed one, kids to adults. They were so popular, I made them again this weekend for another friend’s son’s 3rd birthday.

Prompt/Challenge Title: Crafter’s Choice #2
Project Name & Page Link: Custom LC Tumblers
Brief Description: I actually made 3 of these recently, but one has yet to be shipped out, and I forgot to get a picture of the other one. Here’s the one I did get a pic of. I had ordered a set of 12 tumblers from Amazon, and made individual ones for everyone attending the Midwest Meetup last year. I had 3 leftover, and asked if anyone would be interested in one on the Garage Sale thread. Gozer took me up on it, and I made the other two as surprises. Each one contained what I put in the Meetup ones, a fat quarter of fabric, embroidery thread, stickers, etc. But I also included one of the LC Critters I had printed on Spoonflower, and some sari silk tassels/purse jewelry I made a while back. Gozer’s contained a cosmic cat sticker, and a cat charm on her tassel.

5 Likes

I might have to steal your faux hanging plant idea. My front porch is brutal on hanging plants but really needs something for aesthetics. Nice work!

I’ve been all about yellows for a while now, so don’t be surprised if i steal all yoir yellow ideas, too! Lol

1 Like

Feel free to steal away my dear! And watch for sales from Joann’s. The hanging plants were $50 full priced, but I got them for 50% off. And check Joann’s coupons & try shopping YOUR local store online. Often you can check to see what is in stock at your location. And if an item is on sale, there are coupon code to get an additional 20% off everything, if you order online for curbside pickup. I buy batting & fabric that way now, to get the best price, even though I then sometimes still go into the store for other items I need to see in person.

1 Like

Those flowers look so wonderful! All together it really makes your housefront cheery.
I would like to do something to my front porch. We have some fake flowers in pots from the previous owners, but they’re looking sad and I noticed that the pots they’re in don’t even match in color.
I do have different front door decorations, garden flags, and a small bouquet for every month but the space around the side of our doors isn’t appealing. I’d like to have a tall floor planter box or something so postal people can hide packages behind it.
Of course, the ones that I like are in the $200 range for only one.

1 Like

All of those flowers really do make for an inviting space!

1 Like

Seriously, check out Homegoods or Marshall’s/TJ Maxx right now. My biggest pots were $30, the medium were $16 & $20, and the small were $12. The same sized large ones at Home Depot were $60+.

3 Likes

Prompt/Challenge Title: Gringotts
Project Name & Page Link: Itty Bitty Doll Dresses
Team: Daily Prophet
Brief Description: To sew on this scale (to fit a 4 inch doll) you need the lightest fabric possible. Liberty Lawn is about the only print option I can find, but it is super expensive, and getting harder to source in the small quantities I need. So I always spend a fair bit of time agonizing before cutting into my stash and keeping my fingers crossed that my machine doesn’t try to eat the seams.

5 Likes