Art Journaling Craftalong - 2022

Does anyone know what brand of pad I could buy? (the small colorful papers she used for the collage?)

Wow, I hope youā€™re having a fabulous time!!

Not sure about scrapbook paper pads but I plan on using my stash of painted papers/gelli prints from previous art making and swaps. If I wanted to buy paper Iā€™d probably go to Michaelā€™s or Joannā€™s and find a pad that appealed to me.

I donā€™t really buy patterned papers by brand, just colors and designs that appeal to me. If you donā€™t have patterned papers already and donā€™t want to buy any you could just make some painted papers. Nothing fancy just spread some color around.

If you do want to buy something, like @photojenn says - just go to a craft store and buy what appeals to you. for this purpose probably paper on the thinner side.
Of just buy a sheet or 2 of the loose patterned papers they sell.

Also, you could use magazine pages, tissue papers, wrapping paper, etc. It doesnā€™t have to be scrapbook paper. Although some papers may be a bit more fragile to work with.

2 Likes

here are a couple videos on making painted papers for collaging.

Also, thought this would be a good topic to put in the top post with all the reference materials.
Also maybe a Collage Fodder section.

So if anyone has any good free links for background papers or collage fodder let me know

5 Likes

I quite buying scrapbook papers long agoā€¦I used to buy whatever huge pad was on sale at Joannā€™sā€¦they also have single sheets, and I do sometimes buy them but only if it is for a specific project. I would rather use my underpaper scraps, junk mail stuff, or security envelopes.

@kayrunā€¦I can send you some paper if you wantā€¦what colors do you like? Seriously, when you tear them up for collage, they all blend together anyway.

5 Likes

I definitely have magazine & catalog pages I could use!
and thx for the video ideas

1 Like

oh, the security envelopes are a good idea, too!
Iā€™ll message you about paper colors ā€“ that is so sweet of you!

1 Like

Iā€™m going to be offline for a while this morning so if anyone else signs up I can send you the zoom link about an hour before it starts.

3 Likes

Here is the post talking about colored pencils

@AIMR i did this journal page using the black paint wash, stencil, baby wipe technique

3 Likes

Here is my page from todayā€™s zoom. I feel pretty happy with it.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s fabulous @geekgirl, I think the added stencilling and high contrast around your focal point works so well!

Hereā€™s where my one got to, Iā€™m pretty pleased with it too. I always enjoy using the neocolor II.

Thanks for a great session, I really appreciated a little island of creative happiness in the week :smile:

12 Likes

Here is mine before I decided I didnā€™t really like it. It just felt too large and unfinished.

So, I cut it in half and put in a few words. I like it much better now.

It was wonderful to see you guys! I always feel inspired and a sense of kinship when we take time to do art together!

I also feel the urge to buy all the suppliesā€¦Zoom Day is Amazon Shopping Day!

11 Likes

@jemimah thats gorgeous. Love those muted colors.

@AIMR love how cutting it down and adding a sentiment turns it into a whole new page. Looks great. Like how the words are torn out.

I need to start buying smaller journals.

2 Likes

Thanks! I can use the other half for ATCs or collage fodder!

love it!
thanks so much for running the zoom session today! it was great fun (although I had to tune in late due to a FaceTime call by the worldā€™s cutest grandbaby!) So fun just hanging out together while crafting, since I have no one IRL to do that with

one question ā€“ you showed the stickers that are different words/ phrases, and of course Iā€™m interested in buying someā€¦do you have a link or a search term for me to use? :computer: Thanks!

@jemimah , the teacups are just adorable! and the phrase is fantastic

@AIMR that looks wonderful! cutting in half was a good move! and I agree, now I want to shop for more supplies!! teehee

Iā€™ll take a photo of my project when itā€™s daytime

1 Like

I am sending you a bunch of fun papers to use for collage and those stencils tomorrow. I did order some of those bottles @photojenn mentioned.

2 Likes

These are ones I got. Cheap, if youā€™re happy to wait for slow delivery.
ā‚¬ 2,25 37%OFF | 406PCS Vintage Small Talk Text Collection Stickers DIY Scrapbooking Collage Phone Diary Album Happy Plan Gift Decoration

ā‚¬ 2,28 55%OFF | 30PCS Love word sticker Crafts And Scrapbooking Stickers Book Student Label Decorative Sticker Kids Toys

ā‚¬ 0,90 34%OFF | 10/20/50pcs Inspirational Stickers Reward Motivational Stickers for Water Bottle Laptop Trendy Positive Word Quote Vinyl Decals

3 Likes

Thanks for the links!
And thanks to @AIMR for the offer of paper supplies! :heart:

1 Like

Ooh, that looks brilliant @AIMR! I liked it in the larger version, but cutting it down and adding the words makes a much more focussed composition. And your contrasting colours have fantastic energy.

2 Likes