Chunky Houses Halloween Edition 2023; SO October 16th

:skull: GALLERY :skull:

Made by artsycandice, photo by thanate

Swap name: Chunky Houses Halloween Edition 2023
Lettuce Craft member who is organizing this swap: irid3sc3nt
Sign-up date range: September 4-12
Send out Date: October 16

Limited to a certain number of people? 25
Restricted to people who all live in the same country? Nope, everyone can join!
Additional Age requirement? 16+, per swap rules

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:

Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES
Is at least 18 years old: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:

Has been a member for at least one month: YES
Has posted at least 15 times: YES
Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
Does not have any negative feedback: YES
Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 16 years old: YES
Has posted a comment in this thread and will check regularly for swap updates YES
If within the US, understands that Tracking number is required for this swap: YES
If outside the US, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YES

:bat: :derelict_house: :jack_o_lantern:
Need Inspiration? Here is my Chunky Halloween Houses Pinterest with ALL of the past Halloween Chunky Houses!

In this swap, participants will make and send out one house to each member in their group according to their partnerā€™s themes. Participants will be put into groups of three. This means you will be making two houses.

Houses should measure equal to or less than 5 x 7 in (12.7 x 17.78 cm). Decorate the houses front and back then sign the back with your LC name and date. We want everyone to remember that great house you made.

Please use a base material such as chipboard, thin wood, foam coreā€¦ anything that can stand on its own without flopping over. Your house does not have to be freestanding. Think about your designā€¦ is it saturated with paint? Maybe chipboard isnā€™t the answer. Do you have a lot of fiddly windows? Foam core is going to be a pain to cut. Use your crafty intuition. ā€œHousesā€ is a loose term, itā€™s more like ā€œchoose your own adventureā€ within the guidelines of 5x7 and your partnerā€™s Q.

Since this is a papercraft swap, no tracking/delivery confirmation is required, HOWEVER, you will have to remake and resend any packages that fail to reach their destinations. No exceptions.

Please send your house sandwiched between some cardboard in an envelope or in a padded envelope. Write ā€œDO NOT BENDā€ in red ink on both sides of your envelope/package. We want that chunky house that you spent so much time creating to reach its new home in good shape.

Communication is important.
It is your responsibility to:
-PM all of your partners and the organizer when you have sentā€“you must send to ALL of your partners at the same time (this seriously helps me with organization)
-PM your partner and organizer when you have received
-post your comments, questions, thoughts, teasers, etc. in this thread
-post individual photos of your received chunky houses in the gallery within one week and thank your partner

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO @irid3sc3nt VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.
Also, remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find other rules about participating in a swap.

:black_heart: :orange_heart: :black_heart: :orange_heart: :black_heart:
QUESTIONNAIRE - please double check your answers

Chunky Houses Halloween Edition 2023
LC username
Email address
Your real name and address including the country formatted for mailing

Would you be willing to ship to an address outside of your own country? YES, this is a requirement for this swap.
Are you at least 16 years old? YES/NO
Do you promise to resend if your chunky house gets gobbled by the postal system? YES/NO
Will you take individual photos of your received chunky houses, post them in the gallery within one week, and thank your partner? YES/NO
Have you posted a comment in this thread and will check regularly for swap updates? YES/NO

If there is an odd number of people, would you be willing to have an extra partner? YES/NO

Name five or more of your favorite Halloween things or themes

What are your favorite Halloween colors?

Are there any colors that you absolutely cannot stand?

What are your thoughts on glitter?

What would you NOT want on your chunky house (gore, nudity, swearing, etc)?

What has been your favorite costume you have worn?

Is there anything else you want to add to this questionnaire?

If you want, you may copy links to your Pinterest or relevant examples of your style here.

2 Likes

Participating
AIMR
Bunny1kenobi
curiousfae
goatgoddesss
irid3sc3nt ā€“ organizer
LovelyMiss
marionberries
steiconi
thanate
WiccadWitch

Partners
AIMR: irid3sc3nt, thanate
Bunny1kenobi: thanate, WiccadWitch
curiousfae: LovelyMiss, marionberries
goatgoddesss: steiconi, WiccadWitch
irid3sc3nt: AIMR, LovelyMiss
LovelyMiss: curiousfae, irid3sc3nt
steiconi: goatgoddesss, marionberries
thanate: AIMR, Bunny1kenobi
WiccadWitch: Bunny1kenobi, goatgoddesss

2 Likes

Questionnaire sent, count me in!

1 Like

Chunky Halloween houses are my favorite. Small, easily mailed, little creative bombs of Halloween spookiness. And it prompts me to get off my end-of-summer lazy tush and get creating!

5 Likes

Oh my gosh, I have so many now and all of them are unique! You probably do, too!

2 Likes

This will be my first chunky house. I have watched from afar and admired all the creativity put into these! Canā€™t wait to see the gallery this year. @irid3sc3nt your pinterest group is full of ideas and inspiration! WOW!

3 Likes

Thank you! Itā€™sā€¦ a lot. Hahaha! Have fun with it and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

1 Like

I line my mantle with them. Iā€™ve also hung them as a garland in my front window. They are all so different and creative.

All Halloween goodness.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a mantel, but I do have a string looped over a doorway, where I hang greeting cards. Perfect timing to clear out all the cards accumulated since valentines day.

2 Likes

5 Likes

[Houses ](10 Pack Wooden House Shape Blocks Unfinished Wood Slices Pine Wood Embellishments for Wedding Christmas Party Home Decoration DIY Craft Amazon.com)

Will these work? Iā€™m really considering this but wasnā€™t sure if these are thick enough.

1 Like

Glad you asked this, I have been wondering how thick they should be. The description from the rules make me think they should be thin and lightweight enough to hang from a clothespin, which seems too thin to stand on their ownā€¦

ā€œPlease use a base material such as paperboard, chipboard, wood, layered cardstock, or foam core. Basically, use something that can stand without flopping over in the future so you can have a whole chunky neighborhood. There is no need to create a stand for your chunky house. Most of us from the Old Site either hang them with clothespins or prop them up against other decorationsā€

2 Likes

Sent my q!

1 Like

Those are plenty plenty thick.

It depends on the material, really. Oh, I meant to say chipboard in that description instead of matboard. Too many boards. In the beginning I used thin cardboard, but that seemed to be too thin and not durable. So I switched to foam core, but that can be a pain to cut if youā€™re doing windows. Now I use black chipboard. I donā€™t have to paint it and it cuts pretty well with an Xacto knife. I want to say that I got a grip of 12x12 slabs from AlphaStamps, but Iā€™m not seeing it on their site. They do have some pre-made flat houses, though.

Itā€™s pretty much whatever you want to use without flopping over. Iā€™ve seen cereal boxes glued together. I tend to hang those instead of propping them up. You could probably use thin slices of wood. Heck, you could make a balsa wood frame and use tissue paper for the whole interior and it would work (but may not survive the mail in an envelope).
They donā€™t have to exactly be 5x7, either.
We usually paper the backside and add our LC names and date. Sometimes add stickers on the back. It doesnā€™t have to be as embellished as the front.

If anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead. Iā€™ll go amend some of the wording on the swap page.

ETA: Alphastamps is having a 20% off sale on their digital products. I have purchased some in the past and printed them at Office Depot because my printer and I have different opinions on what a printed image should look like.

3 Likes

So I think I understand;
they can be quite thin, like 1/8", so long as they donā€™t bend/flop over. They donā€™t need to be freestanding, either.

And they probably but not necessarily should be somewhere around 5" x 7".

Iā€™m such a noob at this!

3 Likes

You definitely donā€™t want the flop where it goes from a capital ā€œIā€ to a lowercase ā€œcā€. And, correct, they donā€™t have to be freestanding.
Personally, mine are leaning against the wall on my mantle or on other decorations.

And no worries, thatā€™s why we have this thread to ask questions. Itā€™s my swap, I can always amend the description so it makes sense :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

I am learning as wellā€¦I have ideas but needed a bit more info on the processā€¦thanks @irid3sc3nt !

1 Like

Some of my houses (I have over a dozen) have curved from sitting on the mantle propped up against the wall. I do have one made out of wood about 3/4 inch thick but most are cardboard, chipboard, or something thin. Some are horizontal and most are vertical. The variery is amazing! Some of use have a loose interpretation of the rules too!
So what ever you create will fit right in.
Do visit past swaps for inspiration.

2 Likes

I found three cool little chunky-ish houses at a big box store today. On sale! I think itā€™s a sign that I should probably sign up.

4 Likes

one of my fav swaps - thanks for hosting it again :slight_smile: signed up

3 Likes