CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2020

Woohoo! I remembered today! Anyone making progress?!?

1 Like

Advanced Studies update:

I had all of my sewing stuff out, so I finally cut up some t-shirts for my t-shirt quilts! I still have a few left, but theyā€™re either plain (so Iā€™ll cut them later when I know what size blocks I need to fill in spaces) or they need to be dyed first.

(some are mine, some I picked up from thrift stores just to practice with)

1 Like

Advanced Studiesā€¦ update.
5 days shy of our 5th anniversary I actually started the hat!
Then I had to frog it.
Then I started it again. Got a full 2 rows in!
Had to frog it.
Then I started it a third time.
Then the 20 month old frogged it for me. Rather aggressively.
Then I started it a fourth time. Got 4 rows in!
Realized it was wrong and had to frog it.
It is now in time out and we arenā€™t speaking.

Edit to add: well, we got back together and Iā€™ve learned what i was doing incorrectly and am back up to 2 rows completed. Weā€™re back on track :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Currently curled up on the couch working on my Advanced Studies project. Hereā€™s where I started today.

7 Likes

That yarn is gorgeous

1 Like

@MistressJennie that quilt top is awesome. What YouTube video did you watch?

I canā€™t remember which video specifically, but it was from Just Get it Done Quilts on Youtube. I watched a bunch of her videos while crafting one day. I think I saw one called Scraps to Blocks, Scrap Management, How to Use Your Scraps, etc. Sheā€™s fun, but she also gets to the point in each video, moving through information quickly.

1 Like

I love her. She has a few good ones on scrap quilts and scrap managementā€¦ And actually a really good one on ironing.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Advanced Studies
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Cranberry Rose Hat
Brief Description: Spent more than 2 hours getting the hang of this ribbing pattern for my first real Fair Isle project.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

Class/challenge: detention advanced studies
House: Gryffindor
Project: hp stitchalong

Iā€™m making good progress on my cross stitch. Iā€™ve made some mistakes on the center part with the chevrons, so when the next piece of the pattern was released, I decided to put that aside and work on the new area.
begining of may -

current progress- the white stitches are hard to see but there is the beginings of a hypogriff Iā€™ve been working on some smaller projects, so I will have a project dump soon.

8 Likes

@AntBee @Jenleahlynn - wow! Awesome AS progress you guys!!!

1 Like

I only just discovered her channelā€¦what a coincidence?!

Iā€™m going to use her ā€œuglyā€ fabric quilt top tutorial for a quilt for my dad for Christmas - but it wonā€™t be with ā€œuglyā€ fabric.

Canā€™t wait to get started :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Friends! Reminder that this Term of the HP Craftalong will close on Sunday, May 31st, at Midnight, Headmistress Time. (Central Standard Time) Please be sure to get any last minute project posts in before then.

And as most of you know, Midsummer Term opens June 1st, we will again be playing Quidditch! Iā€™ve run quidditch a lot of different ways over the years, and this year as I plan the season, Iā€™m looking for some input from all of you. Iā€™ve posted a poll below. It is a multiple choice poll, and will give me an idea of what parts of our quidditch games you like best. You will notice you can choose multiple answers from the whole poll, and that there are clusters of responses. The first 3 have to do with your interest in playing. While you can choose all three responses, Iā€™m asking you to just choose the ones that best suit you. Later, in the game preferences, you are welcome to choose multiple game styles. This poll will close at midnight on May 28th. Please respond by then. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: It looks like the poll rearranges itself to show the most voted for items first, meaning they are no longer in the order I put them in. Hereā€™s how they were listed just so itā€™s a bit clearer to understand.

• I love Summer Quidditch and canā€™t wait to play!
  • I can take or leave the quidditch game. I just do whatever prompts Iā€™m drawn to.
  • I donā€™t plan on participating in summer quidditch.
  • I prefer playing as my own House team. (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, etc.)
  • I enjoy playing as a specific national quidditch team. (Japan, Bulgaria, etc.)
  • I donā€™t care who I play as. I just love the game and getting extra prompts to spark creativity.
  • I like the pre-game events, like Set Your Portkey. They get me psyched for the game to come.
  • I donā€™t care for pre-game events. Letā€™s get straight to the match!
  • I like one set of prompts that does not change, that I can complete throughout the whole game. (Ex. 16 prompts I can work on for 12 weeks. Similar to 2016.)
  • I like one large set of prompts, set in matches where I can pick just one of two. (Ex: 32 prompts, in pairs, where I can do a total of 16. Similar to 2017.)
  • I prefer multiple sets of prompts, each for a moderate amount of time. (Ex: 3 month-long rounds, of 4-5 prompts each. Similar to 2019.)
  • I prefer a slower elimination style game, where we have multiple matches where get to choose between 2 prompts. First round is 5 weeks, second round is 4 weeks, third round is 3 weeks, etc. (Similar to 2018.)
  • I prefer a faster elimination style game, where we get to choose between 2 prompts every few weeks, whittling down teams each time, till thereā€™s 1 winner. (Similar to Floo or Book Club prompts, where I have less time to think about a prompt.)

0 voters

A new Hermioneā€™s Book Club prompt has been posted! Please note, this prompt straddles this term and the next. You are welcome to do it this term, next term, or do it twice by posting a project in each term.

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Little Pink Meringues! I adapted Rose Levy Beranbaumā€™s recipe for Buchettes de Noel from her cookbook, ā€œRoseā€™s Christmas Cookiesā€, recipe as I executed it described below.
Brief Description: I had two extra eggs so I decided to practice the Ebublio Jinx on them.
2 Egg Whites
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
Cream of Tartar

Unfortunately after having begun the recipe and then been unable to locate the cream of tartar that I swear is still in the kitchen somewhere, one tsp of lemon juice instead of the 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar the recipe calls for. Result wasnā€™t quite as fluffy as it should have been, but it did the job well enough. Couldnā€™t find my wand either, so I had to beat the Ebublio bubbles into these ingredients by hand via a large whisk and some muscle.

With these meringues, once theyā€™re stiff and glossy you can pipe them onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. They should be left to dry for an hour before they go into the oven, then they hang out in a 200 degree F oven for an hour then allowed to cool completely on the cookie sheets out of the oven.

Iā€™ve made meringues by this recipe twice before and Iā€™ve found that this is one of those recipes where the flavors need to blend - the day you make them they are kind of disappointing, but the next day and subsequent days you will want to devour them all they are so good. I added a drop of food coloring this time as I wanted little pink meringues. I had hoped to get a slightly better photo of the finished product but ā€¦ wellā€¦ they were really delicious and didnā€™t stick around long enough. :grinning:

Project Picture:

3 Likes

You AS looks amazing!! Iā€™m still working on the parchment! And havenā€™t done the header or footer yet! To be fair, I havenā€™t been doing any cross stitching in about 2 monthsā€¦ :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Class: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Joyful Prayer Flag
Brief Description: I made this flag for JoyfulClover in the Go Bananas Swap. The image features a creature in the moonlight, perhaps magical?
Project Picture:

Class: DADA
LC Contest: May 2020 Fashion Contest Entry
Project Name & Page Link: Clothesline Necklace
Brief Description: This necklace uses a sharp needle and pins in its creation.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Detention: STASH
Project Name & Page Link: Woven and Embroidered Hoop
Brief Description: I made this for the Go Bananas Swap 100% from stash!
Project Picture:

Challenge: Expecto Patronum!
SPEW or LC Contest: Lettuce Help Our Communities
Project Name & Page Link: Masks for the ladies
Brief Description: I made these masks and mailed them off to my Mom, Grandma, and Aunt down in SC.
Project Picture:

Challenge: Headmistress: May
Project Name & Page Link: Dark side of the moon star wars stitch
Brief Description: Inspired by my geeky love for Star Wars, I stitched up the death star channeling its inner Pink Floyd.
Project Picture:

Class: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Embroidered Felt Ball Necklace
Brief Description: These little felted balls are like little wearable bubbles!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Klaziena Shawl Progress
Brief Description: I wasnā€™t feeling great on Saturday, so I snuggled up on the couch to crochet and watch movies. Managed to get 4 rows done, over 3 movies and some tv shows. I love how itā€™s coming out, but itā€™s really slow going now. Each row is a million stitches long, so each row takes a long time, and I have to be really careful to count at the end of each one, since I got so badly off before, and had to frog like 6 rows.
Project Picture:
Hereā€™s my before picture. Taken just as I sat down on Saturday.

And my after. In it Iā€™m pointing to what was the last row in the first pic.

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: Journey Prayer Flag
Brief Description: This was created for @seeuudee in the Prayer Flag swap. All the materials were stash, as it was created in the early part of the pandemic. The fabric is hand dyed and I want to say I received it in a swap on Deadster. The embroidery designs are from Urban Threads (digital downloads donā€™t count as craft shopping, right?). The ā€˜cloudsā€™ are gear charms that I painted white and distressed with a reliefing block. The edges are lace I had from a ren faire costume made ages ago, and the beads are Swarovski crystals from some promotional packs sent to me by Fire Mountain Gems.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

1 Like