Embellished vintage wooden spool

Made for my wonderful partner in the Sew Scrappy Swap. @AIMR had a lovely embroidered hoop with fans in her pinterest that inspired this. I really enjoyed picking out the scrappy bits of fabric for the fans.

Fans outlined in golden thread inherited from my gran many years ago, vintage shell button, glass beads and brass bell on a bit of hemp twine from my trip to BC last year.

I wanted the reverse to look ok so spent a little time figuring out the geography of the stitch progression, that was fun.

All wrapped up on an old wooden spool.

Here’s the whole view. I’m happy with how it turned out.

35 Likes

Each one of those fans is like a little jewel! And I love the overall vibe of the piece, whether rolled up or unrolled. Beautiful!

1 Like

At first I thought the fans were part of the fabric…when I realized they were little scraps, I was delighted! Like I said, I have no idea how you made the back and front stitching look so terrific!

I am glad to be the new keeper of this lovely piece!

2 Likes

Oh my! This is truly lovely! A great honoring of your gran and your scraps.

2 Likes

This is beautiful, I’d hang it, unrolled, to admire it daily.

2 Likes

I am thinking just that!!!

3 Likes

Great minds think alike :smiley:

You changed your picture and I keep getting confused who you are :woozy_face:

1 Like

Goodness, that’s just beautiful! The scraps you picked are perfect.

1 Like

I figured I needed to update my picture on my birthday…the other pic was 5 years old! The current one was taken last year in Florida!

3 Likes

This is just gorgeous. I can see the thought and attention that went into every detail.

1 Like

@magpie seems to make things that cause me to drag things out of the trash or giveaway piles!

So much for getting rid of my wooden spools…lol…

3 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

This is really cool! And beautiful.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s so cool!

1 Like

Magpie is the Queen of Scraps! You seem to make something beautiful out of everything you touch. What a lovely piece of art.

2 Likes

:thread: :scissors: :heart: Congratulations! Your lovely embellished vintage spool is a Featured Project this week! :heart: :scissors: :thread:

3 Likes

All that teeny tiny work is mind blowing! Very cool project.

2 Likes

You chose such great fabrics for the fans! The time spent ‘figuring out the geography of the stitch progression’ on the back was time well spent! I’m really impressed with how nice and tidy that backside came out. What a fun and unique piece of art!

1 Like

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love it so much!!

1 Like

Wow this is fabulous. You are so clever

1 Like