Fabric mask with clear plastic windows

I altered this fitted mask pattern, to include a clear plastic window so the wearer’s mouth would be visible. There have been some of these online for people to wear so children and those with hearing issues can see the mouth and potentially lip read, also useful for people who need to see facial expression to interpret mood, etc.

Any lined mask pattern can be altered in this way but I feel like one with a curved front seam that stands away from the face might be the most comfortable to still allow for breath-ability. I simply marked where my mouth was with the mask on and cut a small square out and clipped the corners about 1/4".

Fold the seam allowance in on the front fabric and press, repeat with the lining. Pin a piece of flexible plastic between the fabric layers (the sort that is sold as table cloth in a hardware store, it’s only a couple of dollars for a few feet).

I zigzagged around the edge to make sure I caught the plastic, it was fussy and awkward to sew so I’m not sure I would want to make many of these in a row.

And then my man broke out laughing when I tried it on but can you really blame him? I see the point of these but I look so ridiculous. I’ll be giving this one to a friend with a new baby so wee one can see mama’s face should they go out somewhere she needs to be masked.

Oh, and not sure how best to clean these. I would say wash in cold inside a mesh lingerie bag or tied in a pillowcase to protect from agitation, hang to dry. Maybe once dry it could be put into a hot dryer to disinfect? I think these masks won’t hold up to rough treatment.

15 Likes

It’s so functional, but you are beyond wild.

3 Likes

glad you posted this! My cousin is a speech therapist. In order to get back to work, she and her clients have to be able to see each other’s mouths to make sounds…she asked if I could make her some that she saw on the internet!

Thanks…they are a bit goofy looking but a lifesaver for those in need!

3 Likes

You like my Edith Prickly glasses, admit it.

1 Like

They fog up a bit when speaking but it clears quickly. The further the plastic is from the mouth, the better. Such a pain to get that plastic in the hole, maybe edge stitching first or cutting a circle would make it easier. Either way, this is not a fast or easy project.

1 Like

I just lost it. Talk about wild!

2 Likes

Thanks TeeJay! Will try this weekend. I really don’t want to make 3 for each staff member but I will try at least one. I’m sure some of the preschoolers will appreciate seeing their teachers’ expressions.

And Edith Prickly! :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

I like it! I’m wondering if you could hot glue the vinyl in? That would eliminate extra stitching (and holes) on the mask front.

2 Likes

I cannot imagine that being anything less than completely messy with burnt fingers, lol. I was thinking the edges could be folded over and edge stitched, then a larger square stitched around the that and a piece of stiffer plastic inserted and held in place by suspension, if you know what I mean. The plastic could be removed for washing. That wouldn’t exactly be a good seal but better than nothing?

2 Likes

I didn’t realize how much I rely looking at people when they’re talking. I’ve been hard of hearing for years but I just make do. I’ll have a cashier talking right to me and I can’t hear a thing. I can only imagine the people that think I’m being rude. This would be a lifesaver for me

5 Likes

This is such a good idea.

2 Likes

I agree- I’m worried about being in my classroom when kids have masks. I won’t be able to read lips to help me!

4 Likes

Wait, what? Kids are not going to wear masks in classrooms. I can’t get my 12 year old to put one on for more than 15 seconds before she starts freaking out. She would literally rather never leave the house again, she can not STAND having her face covered.

2 Likes

That’s just a hypothetical… I honestly don’t know… but in a class of 25-30 in a building with 900+ students, I don’t know how we can open if they don’t!

2 Likes

Ugh, this is going to be a fun year.

2 Likes

Neat idea!!

2 Likes

Brilliant! You come up with the greatest things!

1 Like

It is recommended (maybe only here in California?) that kids 5 to 12 wear masks. Now my school is ages 2 to 5 (most kids are now 3, 4, 5, and turning 6) and I have seen some kids wearing them.

Will they wear them all day? Doubtful. What about nap time? There are so many unknowns at this point. When we come back on June 1, I’ll let all of you fellow teachers know how it’s going and what works. (My school is year-round anyway so I work all summer.)

3 Likes

Now I have request coming in for masks for outdoor workers in the heat…testing some designs that allow cooling beads to be used around the sides…there are so many things to consider in masks…looks like sewists are going to be busy for a bit…

4 Likes

Today my hubby and I were talking about masks with windows and he didn’t know what I meant. I did an image search on google and this post came up close to the top.