Felt Bowls/Baskets - Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge Entry

I’m going into holiday crafting mode, and these have been on my list the last few years. I finally decided to make them happen!

They are made with 12" x 12" 3mm felt, and 3mm leather cord.

I made the pattern with a piece of 12" x 12" paper, a ruler, and a compass. I just cut it out with scissors because I was trying not to be too fussy.

The two rounded edges touch in the middle, so those flaps need to add up to your middle section. I wanted to use the whole piece of felt without a lot of extra cutting, so the inside is 6" x 6", with 3" sides.

Here’s a photo of the pattern with the measurements listed in inches.

I made them in a few batches, since I ran out of cord during the first round. Oops.

Edited to add a couple more photos!

Here’s from the side:

golden side - Copy

And here is one flat:

I also made a few from 16" felt. I just made another pattern for those dimensions (4" sides, 8" middle). The top photo on the right shows the size difference. For the felt I was using, I probably wouldn’t go too much bigger than that - they weren’t floppy, but definitely starting to get a bit more pliable under their own weight.

Thanks for taking a look! Happy crafting!

23 Likes

Elegantly simple!

3 Likes

Wow! I love these! Very modern and cool.

2 Likes

These are really pretty. Do they unfold again and lay flat when not in use (or to, say, mail flat for a swap package?) or are they sewn to shape and the cord is decorative?

2 Likes

They can very easily disassemble! The cord is the only thing keeping them together.

1 Like

So cool!

Hey, @Magpie, @AIMR have you guys seen these gems??

2 Likes

Elegant in their simplicity! These have so many potential uses.

1 Like

What an excellent project! I love that they flatten.

3 Likes

Wow, thank you for the kindness, everyone! I added two more photos, a side view and a flat view, based on the comments!

2 Likes

Loving these. Streamlined, not fuzzy, modern, yet still cozy (felt fuzz!) and cute. I would happily use these in my house!

1 Like

Right? “Modern but cozy” is a perfect description for them- they would check boxes for a wide audience. They have a crispness about them but aren’t cold and impersonal. They would look great in interiors from minimalist to cottageore.

Great project!

3 Likes

I love them plain and simple, but I also think they can be embellished in a lot of ways! Thanks for sharing the pattern…they all turned out nicely and will make unusual gifts that are useful!

3 Likes

These are wonderful and would be perfect for the Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge! :wink:

3 Likes

These are great! And @Abbeeroad is right, they would be a great entry in the current challenge!

1 Like

Thank you so much, everyone! And @Abbeeroad and @MistressJennie for the reminder about the challenge! I was definitely thinking I’d enter something but it totally slipped my mind!

1 Like

Oooh, very stylish!

1 Like

so cool!
and thanks to @AIMR , I have some felt I could use!
Now to figure out where to get cord like that!
Thanks for posting this – I wonder if I could make a couple for my STS shop?

1 Like

These are wonderful, I can see some in my future. Just need to find some decent felt.

2 Likes

Thanks for the nice comments!

And totally! Go for it!

2 Likes

I think the felt she is using is 3mm…it is way thicker than the stuff I have and sent to you…that type of felt is used for badges and embroidery…I don’t think you would get a good result, but it might be good for a practice run!

2 Likes