CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

Prompt: September Battle - Physical
Team: Team Columbo
Project Name: Apple Crumble for 2
Project Link: Apple Crumble for 2
Brief Description: Y’all have seen me make this several times. I’ve finally refined the recipe and made a post about. :smiley: Physical because it’s instructions for a tangible item (even thought it’s presented digitally, I guess!)

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Subliminal Messaging
Project Name: Country Captain Cauliflower with Coconut Rice
Project Link:
Brief Description: We have a local restaurant that had the most freaking delicious vegan cauliflower curry. They took it off their menu, much to my heartbreak. I tried to re-create it, and it was time and labor intensive, taking many steps before even getting to the cooking. The end result was a solid good, and it needs some tweaks. I’ll be trying it again!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Disappearing Ink
Project Name: Needle Punch
Project Link:
Brief Description: Here’s another needle punch kit I did. I’ve definitely figured out the technique. Almost no frogging on this one! The fabric had an inked-on pattern that disappeared as it got filled with yarn, and the vases are blue.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Secret Compartment
Project Name: Felt foods
Project Link:
Brief Description: Some felt foods! A banana (yellow), tomato, and strawberry.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Decoder Ring
Project Name: Kawaii Felties
Project Link:
Brief Description: Food with faces is one of my favorite squee things. There are some various round shapes happening.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September - Acrostic
Project Name: Card Bundle
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve still been doing lots of cards for the letter writing group. I’ll probably submit some of the bigger ones as projects since they take so much time. And what do you know, here’s one now! I am a bit of an over-the-top person. I embrace this about myself, and I quickly found that stride with these cards requests, too, lol, making card folders stuffed with goodies.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Unicorn
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was also from a craft kit. When I bought it, along with a few others, the checkout person said, “Someone found the kid aisle.” And I responded, “I like cute, fun things.” And they go, “You could have lied and said they were for someone else.” And I was like, “Why lie, though? I’m fine finding joy in liking cute and fun things.” So, with that thwarted shame, this was cute, and fun, and took waaaay longer than I expected. It was a loom knitting kit, and the body is about the size of a large grapefruit. It took me almost NINE whole episodes of Stargate: Atlantis to finish. I feel slow, though when I consider crafting time I’m just always thinking about @storerboughtcreation crocheting, which I think is an unrealistic standard for most of us, lol!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Pottery Class
Project Link:
Brief Description: My mom and I have been taking a wheel pottery class the last couple of months. It’s been hard and fun and something I look forward to every week. Here is the batch of bowls I made from start to finish. (Also, if anyone likes calm and warm competition shows à la The Great British Bake Off, The Great Pottery Throw Down is available on HBO and is lovely - I binged it last year and it’s one of the things that made me interested in trying ceramics).

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Things I’m finding joy in include that unicorn, pretending the unicorn horn is actually flipping off that cashier (:arrow_left: slightly rude), and the fact that I’m not the only one who occasionally times projects by show episodes.

3 Likes

I found much joy in your comment! :grin: :rofl:

3 Likes

Idk why the cashier felt the need to say anything at all, but I like what @megwell said. Your food looks so yummy, and that unicorn is adorable. Doing new crafts always takes longer to do. I still don’t think I’m that fast. :laughing:

3 Likes

Prompt: Sept – Battle - Physical
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: Cat Face Zip Pouch – Pink Stars
Project Link: Even More Cat Zip Pouches
Brief Description: I like physical items. I am one of those people that keeps cards.
Project Photo(s): Photo of Battle and Acrostic

Prompt: Sept - Subliminal
Project Name: Cat Face Zip Pouch – Multicolored Paws
Brief Description: The interfacing is not visible on this project.
Project Photo(s): See below for photo

Prompt: Sept – Disappearing Ink
Project Name: Cat Face Zip Pouch – Blue Stars
Brief Description: The stars are blue. Side note – I have this fabric in black also, and the black is one of my favorite fabrics ever. I love it.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Sept – Secret Compartment
Project Name: Cat Face Zip Pouch – B/W paws
Brief Description: These pouches can hold things!
Project Photo(s): See below for photo

Prompt: Sept – Decoder Ring
Project Name: Cat Face Zip Pouch – Colorful hatching
Brief Description: The cat faces are round.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Sept - Acrostic
Project Name: Cat Face Zip Pouch - Cupcakery
Brief Description: This fabric has writing all over it. Mostly about cupcakes and baking.
Project Photo(s): See top photo. Combined with Battle.

5 Likes

Prompt: July - Surrealism
Project Name: Cat Coffin
Project Link: Painted Coffins
Brief Description: This painted coffin features a cat dressed as a ghost on a jack-o-lantern. It’s a bit of a fantasy setting.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: Snake Coffin
Brief Description: The scales on the snake are speckled.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Coffin
Brief Description: The skull coffin was my favorite to paint and I think it turned out best.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 2
Project Name: Halloween Magnets 1
Project Link:
Brief Description: I drew, rendered, copied, painted, embellished, and glued magnets to these as a test to see how long it would take to make a bunch.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 3
Project Name: Halloween Magnets 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: I drew, rendered, copied, painted, embellished, and glued magnets to these as a test to see how long it would take to make a bunch.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

@LovelyMiss - Such beautiful pottery pieces! :slight_smile:

@gozer - Those magnets are adorable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Prompt: September Battle - physical
Team: Sherlock Holmes
Project Name: Dragon envie
Project Link:
Brief Description: A decorated envie for sending out physical mail! (design idea from pinterest)
Project Photo(s):
waesfwc-2

Prompt: September - subliminal messaging
Project Name: Wednesday Addams ATC
Project Link: Pocket Letter Trios
Brief Description: Wednesday has black hair and a black outfit. (this is pop culture mashup of Peanuts and Wednesday)
Project Photo(s):
23acspcmwa-sm

Prompt: September - disappearing ink
Project Name: Bowie ATC
Brief Description: Alcohol ink was used in making this ATC. (this is pop culture mashup of Peanuts and Bowie)
Project Photo(s):
23acspcmdb-sm

Prompt: September - secret Compartment
Project Name: Friends ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: This card has a vivid yellow sky!
Project Photo(s):
23acsacbwflt-sm

Prompt: September - decoder ring
Project Name: Batman ATC
Brief Description: Batman’s head is kinda round and his outfit is silvery-grey (this is pop culture mashup of Peanuts and Batman )
Project Photo(s):
23acspcmbm-sm

Prompt: September - acrostic
Project Name: Pumpkin Socks ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: Blurred because partner has not received yet! Lynx, don’t look unless you want to be spoiled! :slight_smile: ATCs are made of paper!
Project Photo(s):

23acsapopsfl-sm

5 Likes

Points tracking -
I updated these two posts to add community links. :slight_smile:

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/nerd-games-summer-2023/24092/98

https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/nerd-games-summer-2023/24092/148

3 Likes

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: pumpkin earrings
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’m participating in the STS, and I made a lot of earrings. I loved all of the earrings I made, but this one was my favorite. :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):
IMG040pe

7 Likes

And the earrings I just posted gave me the last squares I needed for a bingo! :slight_smile: Thanks @LovelyMiss for hosting this bingo event. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Woohoo! We have our first posted BINGO! Congrats and awesome crafting!

4 Likes

I was figuring out my last square last night! Way to go @bluebird ! And thanks for the challenge @LovelyMiss .

3 Likes

Prompt: Zap 1
Team: Miss Marple
Project Name: Plant milestone marker 1
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I adopted a spider plant this summer and have been amusing myself by taking monthly age milestone photos of it. Complete with little age markers I’ve punched out of various masterboards and stamped.
Project Photo(s): Leftmost item

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Plant milestone marker 2
Brief Description: See above.
Project Photo(s): Middle item in previous photo

Prompt: Zap 3
Project Name: Plant milestone marker 3
Brief Description: See above.
Project Photo(s): Righthand item in previous photo.

Prompt: Zap 4
Project Name: Quick cards
Brief Description: I quickly threw together some notecards for sending ATCs, etc., by using cardstock offcuts and some stickers.
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

How can you not love pumpkin earrings!

3 Likes

Your ‘scary’ magnets are too adorable!

2 Likes

Awe. Thank you. I am working on another batch, but with different images. Its slow going because i have so much going on!

1 Like

@SewCrafty - thank you! :slight_smile:

@megwell - I really like those cards!

4 Likes

Prompt: September Battle- Digital
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: digitally created address labels
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: These were made for the fill a pouch swap. My partner has not yet received, so I will be blurring the images. It took me four tries to get these right! Sometimes a digital project is harder for me…
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: September -Disappearing ink
Project Name: labels for STS shop
Brief Description: These required ink.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big time #2
Project Name: surprise for manders
Brief Description: Will blur pics. Took much longer than 5 hours! Coz I’m crazy like that at times. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Prompt: September - Subliminal
Project Name: pouch for pouch swap
Brief Description: This was made for the fill a pouch swap. It has a hidden layer of fusible fleece inside. Blurred bc my partner hasn’t received yet.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #3
Project Name: another manders surprise
Brief Description: I whipped these up based on my fill-a-pouch partner’s Pinterest. Blurred bc my partner hasn’t received yet.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes