Ongoing Ornament Swap 2021 Discussion and Gallery

I am halfway done with jillybean’s, and plotting & planning for my last two.

1 Like

I hope you like her! I painted the inside of the plastic ornament with a brown color (I found a pic of a sweet and beautiful kitty with you that had multiple shades of brown… I’m not that talented to do multiple shades and make it look right, but I wanted some kind of “right” coloring element), glued the ears and ribbon on, and painted on the face with paint pens on the outside. The face kept seeming like it would wipe off or scratch off, so I covered it with gel medium to keep it from getting damaged. In hindsight I could have tried to paint it before the base color inside the ornament; I may try that if I have any similar future endeavors. :slight_smile: Oh! And I spritzed the outside with shimmer mist to give it a bit of shimmer.

1 Like

Looks wonderful. I’ve never painted inside a curve, but I know that trying to etch inside one is very frustrating. You did great and it looks perfect with by cinnamon cat. In all likelihood it will stay up year round in a safe place. I love the sweet expression.

2 Likes

Just received the most adorable ornament from @Cyn-energy!

My theme was fruit or veggies, and I love her take on it.

Aren’t the little mice just the cutest? I love the one that’s hiding behind the bowl and sniffing.

Thanks so much, Cyn!

6 Likes

So cute!

2 Likes

That is really adorable!

2 Likes

Wow I love all the variety of styles in this swap- everything is great!

2 Likes

I’m still appallingly late with @AIMR 's ornament. It will get done as soon as I can.

2 Likes

No worries…I am still in Florida for ten more days if I can get home given airline issues…I have a lot going on so apologies for not spending more time commenting.

2 Likes

I hope it’s all going at well as it can there. What a horrible time for Nancy. Give her my love

2 Likes

I received a beautiful macrame, sparkly snowflake from @AIMR

10 Likes

Oohh pretty

I’ve finally almost finished my ornaments for @AIMR there’s a bit more to do and drying time and then I can mail it out

1 Like

So beautiful!

1 Like

Yay! After some postal weirdness, the ornament that @Camelama made for me arrived today. It is so cool!

It is “a felt representation of a straw representation of a fictional creature,” according to @Camelama.

The creature is a “kindly Julbock” from Sweden that brings gifts and decorations around the holidays.

She says they build ones made of giant hay bales in Sweden (and some naughty-ish people like to burn them down.)

Thanks so much, @Camelama! I LOVE it!

11 Likes

Wow all those tiny knots! Gorgeous.

3 Likes

That’s really cool!

3 Likes

I’ve been googling Julbock and learning a lot about the “Yule Goat” traditions… so interesting! Perfect for my International theme.

Edited to add: My DNA also suggests my ancestry is 14% Sweden/Denmark, so I feel a cool connection to these traditions.

4 Likes

What a neat-o ornament!

3 Likes

I’m fascinated how this goat became a good goat but somehow Krampus became a bad goat. The mix of legends behind each could occupy us for a lifetime! Some Swedish families I know say that their Julbock comes early, to check to make sure you put your decorations up properly and soon enough. That one cracks me up. It’s worried about your decorating!!

2 Likes

Well, if there is an appropriate Lettuce Craft mythical creature, of course it would be one that cared about decorations!
:rofl:

3 Likes