Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

I love these. I’ve done 3"x3" art tiles before but not 4"x4".

These are so neat! I love your style. It’s very cool how you achieved such texture with all of the papers and backgrounds you used while still maintaining balance throughout the pieces. You must have an amazing stash of papers/stamps/gelli prints to work with. I’d LOVE to see them all. :slight_smile:

That Friday/Tuesday face is awesome. Love your layering.

Are the last 2 ladies stamps? They’re phenomenal.

Yes, Dina Wakley stamps.

3 Likes

Hi everyone :slight_smile: This October I’m going to do a draw-a-long (not sure which one yet). I’ve made a separate post if it’s something you might like to check out. I’d love to have some of you fantastic artists join in with me :relaxed:

1 Like

The last paragraph reminded me of y’all.

“I hope another 20 years doesn’t pass before I return to the joy to be had in paper, adhesive, a blade and the patience to piece myself whole again. As the days grow shorter, the weather colder and the predictions of a second wave of the virus become a reality, I hope my collages complete a reverse migration from their corner back to my kitchen table where they can serve as sustenance for the long winter ahead of us.”

7 Likes

Best newspaper in the world!

Can I play when you guys are doing the next zoomaLong. I would like to up my paper game

3 Likes

Do you allow complete newbies for the zoom-a-longs? :slight_smile: I’m convinced I don’t have a creative bone in my body (which is why crafts like weaving with defined structures appeal to me) but I think this would be really fun and I need to challenge myself more.

2 Likes

Of course! I’m definitely not an art journaler and it was shown by my attempts in the first one I just did, but it was fun to release some creative energy. You’ll fit right in!

3 Likes

Please, get in there! Both of you! All of you! There is nowhere in this community where you wouldn’t be welcome.

2 Likes

I’m going to try and do one Saturday around 10 am.
I’m in a class right now but when I get time I will post details.

@edel and @photojenn we would love to have you! experience is not needed!

What I will do is post the video link with details and list the supplies you need or substitutes you can use

then Saturday we will zoom and do it together. it’s a lot of fun!

2 Likes

@Edel and @photojenn

YAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS! What @calluna, @Kwality570, and @geekgirl said.

We typically post in here a date and time. Those who are interested/available reply, and then a DM is sent with Zoom info. It’s always a different list of players. We do recommend watching the video at least once - even if it’s super sped up to know where you are going, but don’t get hung up on not having exactly what the video person has. It’s meant to be creative, so using other items is desired!

Some people who can’t make it, art independently, and post their versions as well! It’s fun!

I hope everyone can make the next one!

3 Likes

Oooh I’m excited, I’ll be there-definitely!

2 Likes

Hey paper and mixed-media crafters!

This Saturday at 10 am Eastern time (sorry @jemimah!) we will do a simple art journal video with a whimsical face.
Let me know if you are interested so I can send the zoom link via private message!

This is the video by Toni Burt

This is a fairly quick video so what we do is play a little bit, pause it, we all do our thing and catch up, and then continue.

In this video she kind of glosses over how to draw the face so at the 45 second mark we will pause the video and watch this video where she does go into good detail on drawing whimsical faces

Supply List

• your background, whether that be a notebook, loose paper, etc. If you want to gesso it, please do it ahead of time (not completely necessary but can proved a nice, slightly more absorbent surface to work on)
  • scrap papers to collage on your background: bookpages, sheet music, scrapbook paper, tissue, decorative napkins, pieces of junk mail, doilies, tickets, die cuts, etc.
  • some sort of adhesive like gel medium, collage podge, mod podge. Even elmer’s glue!
  • pencil / eraser - she suggests 2B and 8B pencils but use whatever pencil you have
  • acrylic paints. the video uses white, gold, and shades of brown. you can use water colors. and to shade her face you could even use colored pencil
  • some sort of accent stencil or stamp. she uses numbers and letters stencil but you could use any sort of geometric shape. If you do not have stencils or stamps DON’T WORRY! you can do this simple technique and create your own quick easy stencil - Like I’m talking 30 seconds!
    Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020 - #504 by geekgirl
  • and some sort of sponge to dab the paint on the stencil. I use make up sponges. you can use a piece of paper towel, foam paint brushes. etc
  • acrylic or india inks - OR watered down acrylics or watercolor paints
  • paint brushes
  • paper towels or baby wipes
  • she does use a fancy word stencil and either heavy gesso or texture paste to later on texture. this step can be skipped or you could add in some handwriting.
  • if you have a heat gun or hair dryer that can be useful to dry your page between layers

tagging normal players and those who’ve shown interest
@JoyfulClover
@Edel
@photojenn
@craftADDchick
@AIMR
@calluna
@Kwality570
@megwell

5 Likes

also, some people like to follow the tutorial and do as the tutorial and some like to use it as inspiration and go in their own direction. it’s all good!

2 Likes

I’m so excited! I’m guessing 3pm (my time) is a little early to start drinking wine while I craft-can you guess it’s been a really long week. So much so that I was convinced yesterday was Friday

3 pm sounds like a great time to start drinking!

2 Likes

Color me interested. If I can get my crafting table in a proper state by then…

This is a zero judgement zone, @Edel! Get your smashed grapes on!

Also, @geekgirl ME!! IM IN!M