Pickled carrot and daikon radish

I love having this colorful pickled veg on hand! Keeping it canned is nice since I only have fresh daikon a few months out of the year. And after opening, it keeps for a long time in the fridge. It’s the end of my canning season, so I only had mismatched pint jars left. Given the option, I’d use all the slim quilted jars on the left.

My favorite way to use this is on a bahn mi style sandwich. This one also has scallions, fried egg, cilantro, arugula, sliced jalapeno (fresh is great but I only had pickled available), and mayo + sriracha on a ciabatta roll.

It’s also yummy with burgers, tacos, cheese plates, thai noodles, and salads!

For the basics of hot water bath canning, go to the Ball website here.

Prepare 8 pints in a hot water canner.

Combine:
3 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
1.5 cups white sugar
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger

Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Add:
2-3 lbs julienned carrots
2-3 lbs julienned daikon

(The recipe calls for 2 lbs of each, but that leaves a lot of liquid leftover so I recommend more.)

Stir for a few minutes until heated through and remove from heat. Pack hot veggies into hot jars with a half inch headspace, add liquid and remove air bubbles to maintain the half inch on top.

Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

12 Likes

Ooh, you slice it all up small! Nice, that looks amazingly delish. I would have to stop myself from eating that by the forkful right from the jar, lol. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

2 Likes

I’ve never had daikon before, but now I’m curious! These jars must look so pretty in the pantry, too!

2 Likes

Oh yes the mandoline with julienne teeth is invaluable for that!

2 Likes

Wow this sounds amazing, especially on that Bahn Mi! I would have never thought to do an egg version. Yum!

2 Likes

Beautiful slaw. Julienned carrots add a nice touch to so many dishes and sandwiches.

1 Like

Ooooh that’s probably really yummy. :yum:

1 Like

I’ve been able to do the same with my food processor with one of the discs. I’d be way too lazy to do this much with a mandoline. :grinning:

1 Like

This sounds and looks so delicious!

1 Like

I planted carrots and daikon in our greenhouse a few weeks ago, thanks so much for sharing this! I will def be making it in the months to come.

1 Like

oh that sandwich looks so good! I’ve been curious about growing daikon as i didn’t know what to do with it, its going on my seed list now! Your recipe looks delish, i can think of so many uses for this!

I love those tall slim jars as well, hard to find in my neck of the woods

1 Like

I love radish but I never buy daikon because it always seems like too big of a commitment, but that’s a great idea to pickle it! :yum: I am absolutely going to do this next time I see daikon at the market, thanks for sharing!

1 Like