Quilt-along 2021

Can you clarify for me what you mean by leaders and enders?

Me too. I looked it up but I don’t think I understand.

@edel posted a leaders and enders link on her scrappy quilt post. It is a game changer!! It opened up a whole new world of possibilities where you can do two quilts at once!

Here’s the link (@Magpie). I’ll also add it to our helpful links up top.

2 Likes

Ya, I reviewed that but I don’t get what she is talking about.

Do you use the chain piecing method?

Basically, it is using pieces of scrap fabric to start and end your sewing so you don’t end up with thread nests when you start to sew the small pieces of your quilt together…since you are using them anyway, instead of tossing them, with a little bit of planning, you can sew together certain sizes or shapes and then use them later to make a scrappy quilt!

I think it depends on your sewing style and machine as well…I rarely get thread nests when I start or end my sewing…I am just not that organized to use my scraps in this way…

1 Like

Wow, @Edel, that star turned out gorgeous! It does sound like a ton of work though!

@Immaculata, I ADORE your fabric choices!! Seriously, SO perfect!!

I asked some questions about project storage the other day. Well, I was sorting things in my craft room today, in search of some white fabric I was sure I had (and I found some! now I need to wait until daylight to be sure it’s the same fabric) and I decided to organize things in a slightly different way, and then I was left with an empty storage bin! The type of bin for an Ikea Expedit cupboard.

Then I noticed that the block I made for the BOM is the size of a record. And Mr Imma happens to be a vinyl collector and there are almost always record shipping boxes in our recycling bin. I found one and it fits perfectly:

The BOM fabrics are in the zipper pouch and piled on top of this is the Farmer’s Wife project in its pillowcase. It looks very organized now!

6 Likes

I guess I am getting it, it’s just a piece of throw away fabric used to start and end chain piecing so there isn’t a snarl at either end. Then it’s cut off and instead of throwing out, used as a scrap. There won’t be a snarl because you aren’t back stitching or even starting/ending at the end, but in the middle of the piece, yes?
So, to use them later, you don’t pick out those scanty stitches, right? Because that would take forever, ugh. I assume you are taking a bit of care to sew at a reasonable SA rather than just starting anyoldwhere like you would on a bit you meant to throw out afterwards.
I can see the appeal. I personally have far too many rescued scraps as it is so maybe I will just use them up for this technique and not worry about saving them.

My head explodes when I try to do this with any regularity…I just do different type of scrap projects…lol

Exactly that. The pieces I cut were 1.5"sq, so when pieced they should finish at 1" but if course mine aren’t that regular. You iron theme and use them like any other pieced pieces.

It’s a small enough piece so it just finishes off one seam to allow you to cut off the piece you’re working on. Less thread waste and no pieces being eaten by the machine when you’re starting a seam. I often leave them, almost sewn in the machine when I finish a session, so it’s ready to go next time.

But I think a 2.5" square would be better. Only because even cutting the 1.5" is fiddly. And while sewn together, I don’t find the resulting pieces very usable. But the 1" finished size would work with any quilt block, so there is that.

Sorry I just saw this question after I replied to magpie.

You know sometimes when you start sewing, especially at points. The machine can eat the points and you have a bit of a tug of war to get it back. Or sometimes the tension goes funny and you get a snarl of thread at the start of the seam. If you use leaders and enders you avoid both of these.

When you’re starting a seam, you are supposed to hold the threads back, this stops the snarls. But it’s a PITA to remember up do that each time. So with a leader, you’re taking two small squares of fabric, sew them together (holding the threads back) when you get to the end of the seam, you don’t cut the thread. Instead you line up the next two pieces of fabric that you want to sew together, to start right at the edge of the previous seam, doing this lots of time is chain piecing.

It’s basically a production line. Say you’re making ten of the same patches, and the first two pieces you have to sew-are all done one after the other. At the end of all ten, you line up anothe two of your mini squares (the enders), sew them, but stop sewing just before you finish the seam. You’ll have enough space to cut off your chain of piecing, then you cut them apart and iron them all. And then start again.

You end up with lots of squares sewn together, when can then be used for other stuff. You do need to have a bunch of squares prepped. But in theory, eventually (!) You’ll get a “free” quilt.

This means that you save loads of thread.

Let me know if this is still not clear and I’ll do a quick video.

6 Likes

Beautiful.that fussy cut center is perfectly charming.

1 Like

I use a leader when I remember, but never an ender, but the idea of sewing ledt over blocks is brilliant.

But after crawling around on the floor pinning the sandwiched flannel lap quilt, I am exhausted. I have 2 more much needed lap quilts to create and the thought of more quilt blocks is having me reach for the wine.:smirk:

Tomorrow I start on the quilting. I am procrastinating on starting to pick and cut out squares for my next lap quilt. I love a good procrastination project (some you do to avoid the other).

4 Likes

Ive read @edel’s post about leaders/Enders and I’m still lost. I think I’m going to have to google some visuals. :rofl:

Anyway, I Whistlefish offer this cross stitch project case for my medium challenge entry.

14 Likes

@Whistlefish you finished it! It’s awesome!!

Too many choices. I’m trying to decide a layout for this scrappy quilt. Help?!

7 Likes

The zig-zag is my favourite, but they’re all lovely. It really shows how versatile your blocks are. I also really like the tent layout, that would be a great choice for a picknick blanket, especially with a matching backing fabric.

I made a tutorial on leaders and enders, with photos. I hope it’s clear, let me know if it’s not.

@Whistlefish @Magpie

4 Likes

I actually can’t decide, I’ve been looking at them too long. But it has convinced me that I need a design wall, doing this stuff on the floor is a workout!

1 Like