Quiltalong - 2024

Ok… I’m in! I’ve missed Craftster but never quite got active on LettuceCraft.

My 2024 goals:
Finish binding on charity quilt.
Finish charity quilt tops in process (i have 4 of them)
Have fun :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome, @EclecticDreamer! I’m so glad you’re joining us. Good luck on completing your charity quilts this year. I hope you’ll share progress pics as you work on them!

3 Likes

I’ve been planning a Halloween table runner in my head for a while but now I’m finally ready to cut I’m not so sure anymore.

The middle fabric is the main fabric and I’ve got plenty of it. I found the sashing fabrics in stash and the colours match, but I’ve only got a little bit of both. Only enough for either the “inner” or the “outer” sashing. But now I’m putting it together, isn’t this too busy? I’ve also got plain black in stash, any other fabric would have to be bought.

Halloween idea:

For reference, I was planning to make it similar to this one, except for this one all the sashing is the same fabric:

I thought I had posted this one a couple of years ago, but it looks like I didn’t.

2 Likes

Does it look less busy if you swap the white and the orange? So, orange in between the black squares and white surrounding everything.

1 Like

Or surround the inner squares with a black border, then orange sides, and black binding. It’ll give the eye somewhere to rest.

Love that fabric

2 Likes

I think this is much better.

The cream is just not right anywhere:

I also love that main fabric and I’m also sort of thinking, why am I bothering with piecing at all? I’ve got lots of that fabric.

I’m cutting fabric for another Halloween project now and I’ll have scraps. Maybe some of those will match. I’m doing this one in Halloween fabrics: Horizon Lines - Digital PDF Quilt Pattern — Taren Studios

I like the black, maybe consider also putting it between the main fabric and the secondary one.

1 Like

I was going to suggest the black relpacing the cream. It gives that dark and warm Halloween vibe.

2 Likes

The cat quilt strikes again- does anyone have a solution for fixing this binding which doesn’t involve seam ripping it.

2 Likes

Patch it? I add ribbon & bits of fabric to cover quilt tears & holes, but I like that scrappy look.
This quilt injury is why bias cut binding is used. It is much more durable over time.

3 Likes

My littlest cat loves to chew on the edges of everything from boxes to blankets. I am constantly repairing crochet and quilted things!

I would just take a pleasing piece of fabric and go right over the top of this. It can be the same fabric or not.

4 Likes

-I mvanrh11 , submit my Cat Quilt for my goal list entry .

I am proud to report the Cat Quilt has finally been gifted!

Sadly I didn’t get any final photos, but I did do a quilt drop video! Here is a little gif I made of the quilt drop!

Untitled design(1)

I did take a picture of the cats, before it was quilted and bound

I have also finished my scrappy Quilt: This is the photo I got of it today

I live in Australia where we have big things (like the big banana, big prawn big pineapple ect) and well we found a Big red sofa near a friends house so of course we needed to get a quilt picture there!

12 Likes

Beautiful quilts in beautiful settings!

The cat quilt is amazing!

3 Likes

They are fabulous quilts, well done

3 Likes

They’re both stunning! I love the colours you picked.

2 Likes

I @Immaculata submit Dinoroar scrappy quilt green version for my small personal finish

I also made a blue version

They both have the same backing fabric:

They’re both made from scraps from this quilt Dinoroar kids quilt. The batting is a scrap too, and I’m not buying it again as the needle of my machine kept getting tangled in it. For that reason I only did basic hand quilting.

I also finished this one, super easy panel and as little quilting as possible. It’s a joke project for Mr. Imma as he asks for a dog for Christmas every year. He likes warm quilts but doesn’t like the look of quilting. He said he’d rather have a quilt that’s a bit baggy than have the print disrupted by quilting. If the layers start moving too much, I’ll put in some ties.

I actually bound all of them last weekend, but didn’t get around to finishing off all the loose threads until today.

The Euro 2024 (football) tournament has started and Mr. Imma is a big football fan. I’m still working on my hexie-swap quilt and that’s a great project to do on the sofa while not really paying attention to the match. I’m about halfway through hand quilting it, with a bit of luck it’s done after the tournament.

10 Likes

Two baby quilts ready for gifting! The dino fabric is so cute. You did a good job of fussy cutting them to show them off!

I think the dog quilt is adorable. A few ties will probably work to keep the layers together. I never know how to quilt those panels. It seems the quilt lines would be in awkward places, like right between a puppy’s eyes! I get what Mr. Imma means!

2 Likes

The big dino’s came from a panel, too, but it was easy to cut up in 10" squares.

I did limited machine quilting around the inner and outer border of the other panel. I used a wavy decorative stitch that’s on my machine and I don’t think I’ve ever used that before. It’s a bit more interesting than a straight line stitch. On the website they showed a picture of this panel in a similar layout as this one (I think one or two additional borders) but they machine quilted around all the outlines in the picture, using matching thread everywhere. It looked nice enough but no way I’m changing thread five times and stitching around all of the outlines.

2 Likes

What a fun Christmas quilt, @Immaculata!

@Mvanrh11, I enjoyed your quilt reveal gif and your quilt pics are great! I’ve been wanting to get some fun quilt pics, but it would require me to actually finish a quilt first :roll_eyes:, lol.

I can’t believe you’ve already finished the scrappy colors quilt!

3 Likes

I cut fabric for a Halloween project!

It’s going to be a small quilt. 40" by 60"-ish. Even with my (lack of) speed I should be done by October.

10 Likes