Quilted Fabric Bins

I’ve been on a bit of a fabric bin kick lately. I came across this tutorial for a quilted fabric bucket and decided to give it a try. No round bottom? Yes, please. I don’t have quilted panels lying around, so I had to piece and quilt them before starting and there was a bit of trial and error on my part to get everything laid out and oriented right on the finished piece (heck, I’m still working on that!), but I’m happy with my results so far!

I’m skipping versions one and two that are not very post worthy…and skipping to version 3, which made its way to jemimah in the IYP swap:

Version 4 was my attempt to emulate @Magpie’s flying geese bins (this was the 2nd attempt at a flying geese bin and MUCH more successful). I also pieced the black and white strips from stash bits:

Emboldened by my success so far, I decided to make a rainbow version for the Garage Sale!

These little bins are so fun, I’m sure I’ll be making more, especially since I figured out a few tricks to help me get the lining and binding edge right. I love the sturdiness the quilting gives the bin - not a flop in sight!

30 Likes

OMG these are so incredible. It’s amazing how you can convey your style in paint, paper, yarn, and also fabric. How do you do it?!

3 Likes

Haha…I didn’t know I was! :sweat_smile: Thank you, friend! :heart:

Those are all super cute and fun!

2 Likes

These are so flippin’ cute! And Magpie is right. I would know you had made these no matter where I saw them. They are very, VERY Abbeeroad.

And thank you for donating one to the Garage Sale!!!

1 Like

Agreed on Abbie’s distinctive style! I can pinpoint it with a beautiful mix of colors and neutrals, surface decorating with stitching (this is sort of the counterpart to your mark making style in paint or markers), whether it be with machine or by hand. Love it. I think I also spy your handmade b/w stripes! Love it!

1 Like

P.S. Your Flying Geese came out wonderfully!

And I’ve got that tutorial up on my desktop so I can try it out soon…

1 Like

Thank you guys! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ooooh, I’m in love with these! I especially like the last one. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Newbie question, what does a quilt bin do?

2 Likes

Anything you want! You could use it like any fabric bin to hold things: sewing notions or fabric scraps, for example, or anything really that needs corralling. I use one to hold my daughters’ hair bows.

You can also use them as plant cozies! Here’s another one I made that didn’t make the post cut:

3 Likes

These are GREAT! My favorite is the top one (number 3?) - I really like the big bold black stripes against the neutral and how it gives some extra POW to the prints you’ve chosen which are really wonderful in composition as well as colors. And YEY for no circle bottom - I’m just naturally more attracted to squares and rectangles for some reason and then not having sew the circle to the sides… NICE.

It was way to early for me to be chuckling, but this did it!

2 Likes

The layout of that first one really came together. It’s still a bit of a surprise when I manage that, lol.

Yes! I did have to stitch a circle for the lining and binding, and of course things never line up. I still had to do some wrangling, but I figured out some ways to “tuck” extra fabric away. :shushing_face:

Even with interfacing, the other fabric bins I made just had too much floppiness!

1 Like

They are amazing!

1 Like

:scissors: :thread: :heart: Congratulations! Your Quilted Fabric Bins are a Featured Project this week! :heart: :thread: :scissors:

1 Like

These are amazing!!

I feel like I might need some in my life as well.

1 Like

Oh how beautiful! These are incredibly well done, but I feel like they would also be good for practice, if one isn’t up to making a whole quilt yet.

I especially like the way it looks as a plant cozy.

1 Like

I agree! I saw them and immediately knew they were done by you. They’re sooooo great. The rainbow one is my favorite because it’s all of the best things in life - black and white, pops of color, rainbow, and scrappy stitching. Gah. SOOOOOOOO amazing!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

They’re all stunning! And my my one is especially gorgeous, I adore it :heart:

It’s sitting on my dresser at the moment, while I decide what will live in it. Maybe hair accessories, or my collection of handknit fingerless mitts :thinking:

1 Like