Repurposed Moving Ramp Into Pet Ramp

Last fall I was gifted a big, gorgeous table saw (weighing over 600 lbs/272kg) that I had to move from Oregon to Montana. My friends in Oregon helped me build a ramp and get it up into the moving van. Of course I had to bring the ramp with me to get it back out! The ramp is mostly made with scraps and itself has to weigh over 100 lbs/45kg. It was over 11’/335cm long and about 19"/48cm wide. The before pics are from the day we unloaded the tablesaw las year.

My senior pup, Delia, is getting a little arthritic, so I wanted to make it easier for her to get up and the deck stairs which is her main way to and from the yard. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could rework the tablesaw ramp that’s taking up room in the shop!

Ramp03

A couple of notches on one end so it will sit flush on a step, a few additions including the side rails - also wood from stash, primer, paint and outdoor carpet for grip and presto chango a dog ramp! Up close you can see the cruder nature of its origins and construction, but I think just as part of the scenery and during use it looks finished nicely-enough.

Ramp10

The grey paint matches our doors and screendoors. The carpet is the only thing I purchased to make this!

She has a ramp to get on our bed that she’s been using since she had knee surgery a few years ago, so the concept is not foreign, but she’s still getting used to using it on the regular so we’re still coaxing her with sweet words, physical guidance, and… treats!

I did catch her interviewing her new “friend” earlier this morning before the action shots were taken.

Ramp07

ADDENDUM: I added homemade reflectors! The reasoning and how-to are in this comment.

25 Likes

What a great way to reuse something that most people would either throw out or just complain that it’s taking up too much space.

3 Likes

Delia is so cute! I am glad you are able to give her such a helpful item. Ramps cost a lot! I think yours is better than the bought ones too. It looks very sturdy and wide enough for her. Kudos!

2 Likes

Oh sweet Delia! I’m so glad your mom made you a new ramp to protect your joints. You’re such a good doggo.

1 Like

What a great re-use of the ramp. Still in one piece, and so stable & strong already. Perfect Delia ramp!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! It could easily be the most overbuilt dog ramp in the world! Made to support over 500 pounds and she is about 66 pounds!

4 Likes

What a wonderful gift for your dear doggie! Great re-use, too.

Thank you!

I love the creative use of materials and the caring nature of the project. I’m sure Delia loves it :heart:

Thanks!

What a great idea to repurpose the moving ramp!

Great re-engineering! The notch for the stairs is perfect. Delia is one lucky pup. :heart:

Thanks, friends!

This is fantastic!

Thanks!

This is such a kind thing to create for your lovely doggo! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

She deserves nothing less! We’ll do an elevator if that’s what it takes later on!

2 Likes

ADDENDUM: Delia used the ramp, unencouraged, when it was incomplete, but in place. Now she is eschewing it. Why? Only she knows. One idea I had is that her compromised vision has a harder time seeing exactly what’s going on with the rails, especially as they’re grey and the floor now that it’s brown. Before changing out the colors, I thought I’d try reflectors. BUT one trip to the biggest hardware store around and I didn’t find small white reflectors except in a pack with one white and several other colors. I don’t want colors - obviously, I’m trying to make this look like a deliberate part of our house. SO… I made reflectors with reflective tape, fender washers, 2 sizes of punches and wood screws.

RampReflectors02

RampReflectors03

Pics of them installed added to the original post!

3 Likes

So resourceful. I hope they help!

Thanks! I “caught” her using it to go down last evening, so maybe she’s starting to get it.

2 Likes