Retro Holiday Apron

I made Butterick 5474 for a friend who recently-ish realized a long dream of having a Mid-century Modern home with a pool!

When I spotted this fun print I HAD to buy some to make something for her. An apron was my inclination - partly because she made one for me as a gift the first time we met IRL after developing a friendship on the old site.

I’m pretty tickled with how close I got with pattern matching the pockets!

Libby-Apron04

I’m also tickled with how Santa’s little tighty-whitey-clad bum ended up peeking above the bib on one of the neck straps. I made the bias tape with another great vintage style print and hand finished it (on the back).

This is View A. I wouldn’t say that this is the best-written pattern I’ve used, but I think that an intermediate sewist who is comfortable with store bought patterns wouldn’t struggle. I’m hoping to make a couple more of the views from this pattern.

25 Likes

It’s BEAUTIFUL! I’m jealous. It just looks so perfect. I bet she’ll look adorable in it.

Such great fabric!! Your pattern matching skills are impressive, it matches up perfectly. What a delightful gift!

I love it! The pattern, the fabric and the perfect matching bias tape. And Santa’s bum of course!!

Thanks so much, everyone!

The apron is super cute. I love the fabric. It sounds perfect for her. I am super impressed with those pockets! It’s not easy to get everything to line up that smoothly. And don’t you just love it when things work out, like the Santa bum? I get a kick out of how fabric falls sometimes. :laughing:

2 Likes

That pattern is amazing and I’m totally jealous!
Santa’s bum is definitely the cherry on top!

1 Like

Absolutely AMAZING. Your pattern matching of the pockets is PERFECT! :heart: :santa: :palm_tree: :tropical_drink:

2 Likes

I love everything about this! You have some serious pattern-matching skills. The fabrics are awesome, too.

1 Like

This came out so perfect. The care with which you chose where to place the fabric designs (noticing the placement of the bottom center “shuffleboard” sign that is like a little “finished” punctuation mark) and the choice of fabric for the bias… you are a true class act of gifting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ha ha ha I love the little details that you were tickled with…those are the special things that make sewing a joy!

I have that pattern and I like it a lot, although, I think it is rather challenging with the bias tape…you did a fantastic job with it…putting together the two fabrics…the pockets…lovely…

2 Likes

Wow, this looks so great!! Awesome fabric choices, and you are amazing with the fussy cutting! Holy moly!

2 Likes

Very cool!

Thanks so much everyone! I so appreciate all the pocket love - so much that I will refrain from pointing out the oopsies. :upside_down_face:

That was entirely a happy accident, but I was pleased when I saw it!

I think that the bias tape would have been many times more difficult if I had attached it as instructed. It certainly took longer, but was much easier to hand finish it after sewing the flange to the front by machine.

2 Likes

That is the perfect piece for that fabric… love it! :heart:

This is great! I love the style so much and all the little extras. That fabric is fantastic. What a great gift!

Oh my goodness! This is darling.

1 Like

Thanks so much, friends!

Superior work and I love the fabric! Lucky pal of yours :blossom::heart:

Congrats! Your Retro Holiday Apron is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes