Something from Nothing, a scrappy veggie pouch

@AIMR sent me a package full of terrific veggie printed fabric and I vowed to use it all up, every little scrap! I made veggie face fabric masks, a patchwork bag, a mini art quilt/board game to go inside the bag (there’s another one of those in the works!) And then I had nothing but small bits left over but I think sometimes those make the BEST projects!
I spent a couple of days piecing them together…

and with some gingham from my stash

I made this awesome pouch!

All the pockets inside are to hold seed packets for the garden.

28 Likes

You know I love your scrappy projects the best!! Love seeing the mash up of all the fabrics with the touches of dots and checks! What a cool use, too! You won’t lose your seeds because you will associate the vegs with the seeds!

4 Likes

Girl!!! You sewed those scrappy pieces to bits!! Amazing! Love the final product!

5 Likes

Hey I love this! What a great idea for storing seeds…mine are in an upcycled cardboard box :stuck_out_tongue:
Did you follow a pattern or make it yourself?

3 Likes

Wow! What dedication to using the scraps up! Love all the pockets inside, too.

3 Likes

I have an aversion to patterns, I usually just make things up as I go. This one was a bit tricky to get the zipper in since the outer fabric didn’t have a seam at the bottom to make for easier access. Bit of work boxing the corners with the zip going down one side too. The hardest part though was getting all the bitty puzzle pieces to fit together and form one large regular shape. Thankfully AIMR sent that brown fabric along with the veg so I was able to add it in. It was literally hours and days of sewing & pressing the tiniest of pieces, so glad to be done.

5 Likes

Adorable.

3 Likes

What a clever idea!

3 Likes

You can play I Spy with this. I spy a chick. I spy a white poppy. I spy a …

The piecing must have been a crazy puzzle. it is so fun and amazing.

3 Likes

It was! It took forever but it was fun so a nice way to pass the time. I kept thinking about how amusing it would be to Linda, I did promise her I’d use up every bit of the fabric she sent me!

3 Likes

Amazing! Kudos for your patience. I’m still afraid I’d zippers, dunno why, but I really want to make one if these for my seed packets. I have mine in a cardboard box too! Thanks for sharing :heart:

3 Likes

What a wonderful way to use up those scraps!

3 Likes

Ooo seed storage! Perfect idea for these precious bits!

2 Likes

I found it in the drawer the other day & just last night the man & I took all the older seeds & sprinkled them along the laneway along with a big jar of amaranth that we decided we’re never going to eat. It will either feed the winter creatures or sprout into a beautiful fruiting & flowering jungle for the summer ones. I’m excited to see what happens!

3 Likes

What a cute idea and impeccable execution!

2 Likes

I know how much work it is to patch together all those tiny scraps. It’s addictive and almost calming, but takes forever. It turned out fantastic and I love the pouch you made from it! Perfect fabric for the project.

1 Like

Aw, thanks friends :slight_smile:. I’m going to send it to my sister in BC this spring. We’ve given up garden space for a Pavillion in the backyard.

1 Like

Wonderful work using up scraps!

1 Like