Adapted from a recipe I got from (I think) Yahoo! ages ago.
2 c coarsely mashed cooked sweet potato
1 c black beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t paprika
1 t salt
1 t onion powder
1/2 t pepper
1/8 t cumin
1/3 c quick (1 minute) oats, or panko
1/3 c flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2-3 T olive oil
- Coarsely mash beans. Add and mash in sweet potato flesh. Add garlic, spices, oats/panko, egg, and flour. Mix and chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat skillet over medium and add 2 T of olive oil.
- Form mix into equal patties. (I scoop out using a 1/3 cup and then shape, which typically yields 6 patties. The original recipe called for 4 equal patties, but I had trouble getting those to cook through w/o overbrowning. You do you.)
- Place patties in hot pan. Cook 5-6 minutes, until fully cooked and golden. Note: These times are from the 4-patty recipe. You may need to adjust for smaller burgers.
- Add more oil if needed and flip. Cook 5-6 more minutes.
Guess which one’s tonight’s dinner
Of course, you can play with the seasoning mix however you want. This batch I added ~1/2 t of ground turmeric and a dash of cayenne. You can also switch out the beans. The original recipe actually called for cannellini beans; they worked fine, but I decided to try black beans once for the color contrast and haven’t looked back.