Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers

Adapted from a recipe I got from (I think) Yahoo! ages ago.

2 c coarsely mashed cooked sweet potato
1 c black beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t paprika
1 t salt
1 t onion powder
1/2 t pepper
1/8 t cumin
1/3 c quick (1 minute) oats, or panko
1/3 c flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2-3 T olive oil

1. Coarsely mash beans. Add and mash in sweet potato flesh. Add garlic, spices, oats/panko, egg, and flour. Mix and chill for 15-20 minutes.

1. Heat skillet over medium and add 2 T of olive oil.
  2. Form mix into equal patties. (I scoop out using a 1/3 cup and then shape, which typically yields 6 patties. The original recipe called for 4 equal patties, but I had trouble getting those to cook through w/o overbrowning. You do you.)

1. Place patties in hot pan. Cook 5-6 minutes, until fully cooked and golden. Note: These times are from the 4-patty recipe. You may need to adjust for smaller burgers.
  2. Add more oil if needed and flip. Cook 5-6 more minutes.

Guess which one’s tonight’s dinner :cheese:

Of course, you can play with the seasoning mix however you want. This batch I added ~1/2 t of ground turmeric and a dash of cayenne. You can also switch out the beans. The original recipe actually called for cannellini beans; they worked fine, but I decided to try black beans once for the color contrast and haven’t looked back.

Serving suggestion:

13 Likes

Bookmarking this. I’d never thought to add sweet potato to a black bean burger. They look good.

1 Like

This looks really good!

1 Like

Yamalicious! Definitely adding to my list of things to try, thanks for the recipe!

I can eat almost all of those ingredients! I’ll make something similar with the kids and see how everybody likes it. They’ve been cooking their own meals since I went back to work and seem bored with what they know how to do. These look good and not too tricky. Customizable too!

These look ammmazing. I need smellovision.

This looks AWESOME! And I bet its good crumbled over salad later!!

Bookmarking!:bookmark:

:metal:

These sound amazing! Good call on swapping out the cannellini beans!

Bookmarking this recipe, thank you! It sounds delicious!

Yes! Or crumbled up with some roasted mushrooms or Brussels sprouts under a fried egg (that’s on the menu later this week). So many possibilities.

1 Like

I’m not a big cook, so if they were super tricky, they’d never have made it into my repeat file. Though I confess what usually happens is I plan to make them and then get lazy and just roast up the potatoes to eat like baked potatoes or browned up as hashbrowns :laughing:

This looks really yummy! I’ve got a couple of cooked sweet potatoes in the fridge right now that are destined to become burgers :smile:

1 Like

I made some! I made the recipe as written, but used a scoop to make mini burgers (I got 33 out of my mix) and baked them on an oiled cookie sheet. They have kind of a falafel texture this way, and I’m going to put them in a pita with lettuce and sriracha ranch.

1 Like

I never thought to bake them!