Ticker Tape Quilts - One scrap at a time

This is a repost from the site-that-shall-not-be-named.

I am not a great quilter. Maybe I’ll get better with practice but I don’t think I have enough patience for it. But that being said, I found a method of quilting that I have fallen in love with: ticker tape quilts! I’ve made a couple so far and it is an awesome project for using up scraps.

148681_16Sep14_P1060165

148681_16Sep14_P1060168

P1060357

Now I’m kind of itching to make another one… :heart_eyes:

26 Likes

I couldn’t look at these enough times, they are each completely incredible.

3 Likes

These are so amazingly awesome!!! Truly transforming scraps into works of art. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Oh. My. Goodness.
How big are these? How did you make them? Did you make up the designs?
Tell me EVERYTHING because i just became obsessed!
I received a ticker tape mug rug recently from @Abbeeroad and it is amazing. I often look at it in amazement.
Could you do a whole quilt like this?
PS. I love that little spot of red on the tooth of the skull.

4 Likes

These are awesome and I can see why they speak to you, they remind me of your mosaic projects. Can’t wait to see the next one!

3 Likes

I gave these all away in swaps, so I don’t have precise measurements but they’re around 18 x 20ish inches or some variation around that size. Decent wall hanging size.

I made a quilt sandwich of the layers (backing, batting [or in some cases I used fleece instead because that’s what I had on hand], background fabric) and then start piecing each scrap and sewing as I go. I sketch out the large shapes and usually start working from the center out. Once the design is sewn down, then you can do a binding edge - I always folded the backing fabric over and sewed it down, but you could do a contrasting binding edge instead (again, not a great quilter so I went with what felt easier for me).

I did make up these designs. Big, easily recognizable shapes make this work well. Otherwise using contrasting colors like the winged lady will help your image pop from the chaos of scraps.

:heart:

5 Likes

Ooh! They are so nice! Not sure what ticker tape is, but now I will google! I wanna try! Both the skull and the peacesign is so great done! But I love that woman in red!

2 Likes

These were some of my most favorite projects you ever did! They are art!

I love the look and have been saving every scrap of fabric!

Thanks for reposting…just awesome!

2 Likes

These are so phenomenal!! Truly amazing work!

1 Like

I’m so glad you reposted these. They are so beautiful and so inspiring to look at.

2 Likes

These are so awesome!

1 Like

These are great but the skull is a favorite, because well, skull! :skull:

2 Likes

Wow, these are gorgeous!

I like the skull…no the winged lady! No, the skull…
Maybe I could make myself a winged skeleton…

3 Likes

They are awesome!

1 Like

These are wonderful! My favorite is the winged lady. :blush:

1 Like

So gorgeous! I don’t remember seeing them on the old site; thanks for re-posting!

1 Like

I love all the detail!

1 Like

The peace sign is 19 x 18 inches. It’s hanging in my craft room and was a big inspiration for your mug rug!

6 Likes

Beautiful and scrappy. In love

1 Like

They look like stained glass! Beautiful work!

1 Like