Use Those Fabric Scraps Craftalong --Long Live Scraps!

How exciting to get to play with scraps! All the projects you linked look like so much fun!

Do let us know how you like that machine. It looks like it would be wonderful for piecing/quilting, and all that neck space! It would make quilting a big quilt easy as pie.

1 Like

I love that machine. I think @photojenn has the same model. It is wonderful. I’m stitching scrappy bits on the older domestic & it is so slow in comparison.

Gah, this takes so long to sew. Not sure I actually love doing this project

9 Likes

This is some really wonderful scrappy goodness right here, you guys are going to love these projects. The TM square with shreds and gauze is just amazeballs.

4 Likes

Excellent projects and fun too!!! :smiley:

1 Like

That’s a great link

Pattern weights! All from scrap, little tiny scrap too! I posted a tutorial.

11 Likes

Use up those fabric scraps in the Prayer Flag Swap! Link to sign-ups here.

5 Likes

Psst… I got something right up your alley…

4 Likes

HI everyone :kissing_heart: I’m looking through a library book of sashiko projects and in one they mention using a washable glue stick to stick the fabric pieces together before sewing… anyone know if I can use the inexpensive Elmer’s glue sticks? Or should I stick with the fancy fabric specific ones? Does anyone have a recommended tried and true one I can search for?

I figured this was the best place to ask :smile: Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

Regular glue stick is what lots of people use for quilting, just a wee dab.

4 Likes

I use washable cheap elmers school glue sticks for everything…

2 Likes

Just remember to wipe down your sewing machine, and change your needle afterwards. The glue sticks seriously gum up the needles on a machine. I try to avoid glue sticks and spray adhesive at all costs because I find it like glitter; hard to get rid of aftewards.

5 Likes

A drop of the “Sewer’s Aid” stuff on your needle also does wonders for working with something slightly gummy. (including the fabrics that have glued-on sequins and suchlike)

3 Likes

Popping in to show my scrappy fabric bowls - no sewing (but I’m tempted.)

I made one for @bluebird in the L & C Grab Bag swap:

And now I can’t stop. Two more for my mom and one more started.

I’m going to try one with all the fancy upholstery fabric samples that were donated to my preschool.

Just glue and cling wrap and a foundation - I’m using food containers as a base. The first layer is applied with the right side facing in, the middle layer can be muslin or any other lightweight fabric, and the final layer is glued right side facing out. I use my fingers but you can use a brush.

18 Likes

I played around with this technique recently, too. I love the look you got-your fabric choices are really great!

4 Likes

I buy bags of scraps at the creative reuse store so it’s a large variety.

4 Likes

Ooo. I love these!!

3 Likes

Love that fish!!!

Super bowls and a great way to use up scraps!!

2 Likes

This would make such a great group project, super cool!

2 Likes

These look so fun! Definitely a good group craft @Magpie!

Did you just use white PVA glue?

I have a box of random large fabric squares, maybe samples for dressmakers, from my gran’s stash. They were probably donated to the Red Cross where she volunteered and anything they didn’t want she would rescue. I think I have found something to do with them finally!

3 Likes