Useless Scraps to Useful Crafts - Talk Scrappy to Me Challenge Entry

After making 16 quilt blocks from a bundle of hand dyed fat quarters, I had a pile of scraps leftover. I did a bit of playing and turned them into crumb blocks. (Rather large crumbs, so perhaps crumble blocks is more appropriate?) They sat around on my cutting table for a couple weeks while I worked on setting up my new studio, and I tried to figure out what to do with them.

Usually crumb pieces are turned into quilt blocks, but I didn’t have that many scraps, and wasn’t really feeling it. Overall, I felt like they were useless as they were, and wished I could make something truly useful from them. A zippered pouch? Would only use up a bit of my stack. Same with pot holders or a mug rug. I scoured the internet for ideas, and found tutorials for a few fun projects, which got me thinking… Why not make a bunch of small, useful projects???

First I used up my biggest pieces making some nice thick pot holders. The fat quarter bundle came with some long sample strips, so I used them as binding.

I didn’t have quite enough large scraps for backing, so I found some quilting cotton in my stash leftover from another project. I like how the deep teal contrasts with the muted color scraps. I used my walking foot to stitch in the ditch.

Next I made some simple zippered pouches from the Dog Under My Desk tutorial. I used the same deep teal as lining and used up some stash zippers. They will get split rings added into the loops.

Next I made two pairs of drink coozies. I was able to cut the backside out of larger scraps, and use up the last of a package of fusible fleece and some scraps of Velcro. The first set is made from crumb scraps.

This second set used up scraps from making Flying Geese blocks, by making smaller Flying Geese. I used more of the sample card strips to fill in the space at the ends and sides.

My final project was the neatest one I saw online. I had never seen anything like it… a phone cord weight! It’s a little weighted bean bag, with a loop that contains Velcro to keep your cord from falling back behind the nightstand. My fabric was a little thin, so I actually added a layer of fusible fleece to the pieces before stitching it, and I’m glad I did. It’s sturdy without being stiff, so you can also use it to prop your phone up at night if you want to. I’m fairly sure I’m going to make one of these for everyone in my family for Christmas. I again used scrap velcro, and found some glass beads in my stash that came free with something, that weren’t really my style, or a good size for things I usually make. Now they’re being used, albeit invisibly.

I also managed to use up 2 different nearly empty spools of thread, and 4 nearly empty bobbins, all of random colors in the same muted palette. Now the bobbins are empty for a new quilt project, and more bits and pieces have served their purposes.

Finally, this is what I have left from the scraps and crumb blocks… Now what to make with the last few bits? A few more pouches? Couple more phone weights? Something else entirely???

28 Likes

Those are the classiest can coozies I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

Thank you! We had a couple of freebie neoprene ones that work well enough, but lets face it, no one wants to look at an ad for a business you’ve never heard of but somehow aquired a coozie from, while lounging outside. Far better to have fun crafty ones! I can’t wait to test them out by the pool!

2 Likes

I like how you made everything so useful. That weighted chord holder is a fantastic idea! Great ideas and great execution.

3 Likes

You would have been a master of the fat quarter projects…all those nice small projects from scraps is so satisfying I bet! I never heard of a phone cord weight but can see how it can be very handy!

The drink cozies look perfect for lounging about at the pool…such nice colors!

You could use the leftovers to make bunting to hang around the patio or pool!

1 Like

Ooh, I love them, I love them ALL! Maybe the pot holders best but just by a smidge.

2 Likes

What an awesome collection of projects! The colors are so fun together- perfect for summer!

1 Like

Every item is fabulous. I never would have thought about can cozies. Super clever!

1 Like

An amazing amassing of scrappy practicality!

1 Like

Wow! You have been busy using those scraps! These all turned out so great, but I think I especially love those can kookiest! The prettiest ones ever. :wink:

1 Like

My mind is blown at your creativity in finding just the right project for all of your scraps. That phone cord weight is genius!

2 Likes

Wow I love these! The fabric colors are so pretty and the way you combined them into so many functional projects is impressive!

2 Likes

I love all of them!
You made an amazing collection.

1 Like

These are all amazing!
I need them in my house :heart:

1 Like

It’s all wonderful but those flying geese cozies are perfection!

1 Like

What a great bunch of projects for your home!

1 Like

These are all great ways to make use of those scraps! I love the idea of having useful items made out of quilt scraps. Not only are they pretty to look at, but I like to think that each of the items will provide a pop of inspiration every time you use them.

1 Like

:thread: :sewing_needle: Congratulations! Your scrappy craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects!!!:thread: :sewing_needle:

2 Likes

How gorgeous!! I love the candy colours, and your beautiful sewing!

1 Like

These are really great and the cord holder is genius

1 Like