Wedding steampunk top hat

Hi you crafty bunch!

This is the 2nd in my ‘series’ of posts showing the stuff I made for my Wedding!

1st Post - My felt bouquet, guest brooches and hairslides

Our second (and main!) Wedding ceremony was a surprise Steampunk themed day (our guests thought it was my 40th birthday party), and my now Hubby wanted a very specific top hat, so it came down to me to make it!!

I looked over a bunch of patterns and ended up using this one as a basis, by Chris Huebert. It’s a pattern for making a foam hat, glued together, and whilst I could have used that as a base I wanted something slightly more sturdy with a wired rim, so I looked over some hat making books and ended up using buckram, and millinery wire.

It did take a pretty long time, lots of stabbed fingers and swearing, but this tutorial on Brass Goggles was amazingly helpful!

I lined the top hat with the same fabric I used for my wedding dress :heart_eyes:

And here’s a piccie of the big man in his hat on our big day!

Hope you like it!! :sunglasses:
Loops xx

24 Likes

I love this!!! Great job! Handsome groom too

2 Likes

Wow that looks amazingly done! I love the contrast of the lining fabric :wink:

2 Likes

Extremely cool!

3 Likes

What a bash it must have been! And this hat is amazeballs! All the details! So professionally done!

3 Likes

WOW! This is amazing!! And looks like a perfect fit!

2 Likes

It would never have occurred to me that you could try to make a top hat. It looks SO good! You obviously made your husband’s dreams come true, in more ways than one. He looks very dashing in his steampunk groom attire.

2 Likes

Wow! Amazing work. He looks very handsome!

2 Likes

The whole event, idea, theme, purpose, handmade accessories…I love it all. The hat is whimsical without being cartoonish, and so nicely made. I want that vest!! Plus, thanks for the tut link, there’s so much I want to read through now.

3 Likes

@calluna Aww thank you so much, and you’re welcome! I had planned to make his waistcoat in fact but I just didn’t have time, so I’m glad he found so a great one online in the end.

@kittykill @ilovesnaills I’d better not tell him, or his head will be too big to fit in the hat anymore!

@endymion Awwwwwww :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This is just fantastic and looks so good on your hubs.

2 Likes

Congrats! Your steampunk top hat is one of this week’s featured projects!

2 Likes

What a fab hat!

2 Likes

WOWZERZ! This top hat is top notch!

2 Likes

I would totally rock that hat! What a beaut.

2 Likes

Aaaaah it’s amazing!! That looks really difficult, but you absolutely pulled it off, and your groom pulls off the look perfectly! It must have been a magical day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! You are very talented!

2 Likes

The hat is absolutely amazing. All that hand stitching, you must really love him! LOL! It looks like you had an amazingly magical day. I want to see what you wore too!!!

3 Likes

@kittykill Ooooh thank you so much!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@gozer It’s coming, it’s coming! My dress(es) will probably be my next wedding post I think, whilst I did make loooooads of stuff for the wedding, I only have limited pictures of the other bits, so I might just do a misc post showing the other things as an epilogue to the main bits :wink:

3 Likes

Yay!! :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes