Yearly Holiday Card Ornaments

In 2013, my partner and my second year of living together, I used the holiday cards we received to make an ornament. That was the start of a tradition of repurposing these well-wishes from our loved ones to carry forward year to year. Now I’ve tried to diversify the patterns I use, but I will probably have to repeat myself at some point!

2013: Still one of my favorite patterns! I’d like to make this again.

2014: No pattern for this one, but the construction is simple: Cut multiples of a bilaterally symmetrical shape, fold them in half, and glue the halves together. Before gluing the last section, thread a hanging string.

2015: The tutorial for this one has disappeared, but it’s also an easy one. Cut out 6 equal squares, and fold the corners of each to meet evenly in the center. Glue the corner tabs to each other to form a cube shape, threading a hanging string before finally closing the shape.

2016: This was a lazy one - circles of card glued together and assembled with jump rings and star charms on the ends.

2017: I don’t know what happened to this year’s cards. Maybe we didn’t receive any? When I looked back for this post and realized I didn’t have a 2017 ornament, the completist in me wouldn’t let it go. I scrolled back through my old swap pictures to see if I still had any cards from the Sweat Shoppe Ornament Swap that year - and found in my stash a card from Thimbles71. Thanks for sending me a cool enough card that I saved it! I cut out this little turtle and some strips to arrange in a starburst.

2018: This was a tricky one to assemble! No glue, the pieces just slot together. This is the biggest of the lot - I could have gone smaller, but that would be tough to assemble without ripping. Next time I would cover the back of these pieces in clear packing tape for added strength.

2019: I like the elegant design of these, and it only takes two pieces. Perfect because I received some cool dimensional cards that wouldn’t be easily cut up and folded.

2019 extra: One of the 3D cards was this beautiful quilled snowflake. It took more time than I expected to cut around the design and glue 2 strands of embroidery floss all around the edge for a more finished look. In the end I really love this one though.

15 Likes

What a brilliant way to upcycle and enjoy your holiday cards every year!

2 Likes

These are great! I’ve thought about trying some of those patterns but never got around to it - seeing this post is definitely making me eye the box of cards I’ve held into with no real plan…:eyes:

2 Likes

I’m a notorious saver of cards… thank you for sharing some great ideas to repurpose them!

2 Likes

These are so pretty! I love this idea!

2 Likes

What a fantastic idea! I always feel guilty about getting rid of the cards I get. Thanks for the links to the tutorials! Any suggestions for photo cards?

2 Likes

Ooo are they like photos of your friends and family? I would cut out the faces and put them on paper/pipe cleaner/popsicle stick bodies! Like elves or angels or grinches. :laughing:

2 Likes

What a fun idea! And then, I could gift them back to the people who sent them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have cut them into strips to make these kind of ornaments

Photo Strips Ornaments

@AcadianDriftwood do you only use the cards for ornaments? I have made bowls and vases out of the cards…I really love that you do this as a tradition…they are all neat!

3 Likes

My mom used to make those blanket stitched bowls! I may try that when I run out of ornament patterns.

2 Likes

My mother made a whole bunch of your 2013 model when I was quite small, so there were always a bunch of those on the bottom of our tree where it didn’t matter if the cats stole them. :green_heart:

4 Likes

What a lovely thought and such charming ornaments!

2 Likes

What a great idea! I love these!

2 Likes

Thanks for that idea! I’m tucking it away for next year!

1 Like

Awesome crafty upcycling tradition!!

2 Likes

Fabulous way to reuse those cards, and a great collection of ornaments and memories!

1 Like