CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

It’s Noro Nishiki in color Aurora. The picture looks like black with bits of purple and pink, but much of the black is actually deep deep dark teal green, and some is true black. It’s fascinating to watch work through the colors as I stitch. It’s mostly cotton, with a little polymide, and kind of a roving texture that is thick and thin in some points. So far I’m loving working with it.

1 Like

Great game everyone! Congrats Gryffindor on the Quidditch Cup! (I just wish I could have gathered up a few posts myself. :joy:)

And can you believe we have almost come to the end of another term?! I’m excited to understand ack my craft supplies and start holiday crafting. Bring on the Halloween and Christmas crafts!

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination - jewel tones
House: Slytherin :black_heart::snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Katniss Messy Bun Hat
Brief Description: A friend commissioned a messy bun/ponytail hat. I used the pattern linked as starting point, and modified as needed to adjust for a different yarn weight. Yarn is L:ion Brand Ferris Wheel (acrylic).
Project Picture:

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful colorway!

1 Like

I agree, very pretty!

And here’s my latest:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Stashbuster
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Oona Stuffie
Brief Description: This stuffie is a pattern from the designer at Spin A Yarn Blog written in a pair with the little white puffin that I made up earlier this year. They are characters from an Irish cartoon called Puffin Rock that is my 2 year old’s first official fandom. The colors are slightly off from the pattern/original simply because I chose to work solely from stash. That is also why the eyes are a little funky- the pattern designer used felt sewn together but I didn’t have the right colors in craft felt nor roving to needle felt so I did what I could with what I had. She recognized Oona right away and wouldn’t put it down to eat, climb the slide or use the swing so I’ll take it as a success.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

I just realized today’s date!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @MistressJennie !!! :balloon: :balloon: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :balloon: :balloon:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @MistressJennie :clinking_glasses::birthday:

1 Like

I completely missed the cake, but CONGRATULATIONS @MistressJennie !!!

1 Like

Whoo, happy cake day!! :clinking_glasses::cupcake:

1 Like

Project dump time!
Sorry that some pics are sideways, I have tried over and over, but they won’t change :confused:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy - Something linked to planet Venus, Roman Goddess of Love & Beauty,
House: :hearts: Gryffindor :yellow_heart:
Project Name & Page Link: Love Letter - Pattern
Brief Description: I have stitched up a few of these love letters, I just think they are adorable :smiley:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: DADA - Something that helps you or others get through Coronavirus.
House: :lion: Gryffindor :lion:
Project Name & Page Link: Lettuce Craft Patch
Brief Description: I have been SO grateful to be a part of the Lettuce Craft community. I check this site daily (often many times)…the lockdowns in Melbourne seem to be never ending, and it’s really hard sometimes. I love seeing everyone’s great projects, getting inspired and getting lovely feedback on my own projects. This patch is to honor the awesome peeps here xx
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes - Something with 2 main materials or colors
Project Name & Page Link: Red and Yellow Bunting - Swap item for kittykill in OWS
Brief Description: I made this bunting for kittykill in the OWS and hopefully it should arrive really soon to her (hence the blurred out pics) I chatted to her and chose the colours to match her kitchen, and had such a good time raiding my fabric stash for the best prints :smiley: I hope she loves it.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress: September (Book Club - Chapter 10; Hallowe’en - Inspired by the things that bind you & a friend together.)
Project Name & Page Link: Quarantine Quilting Bee Patches
Brief Description: I made these patches for each of the 12 members of a quilting bee I started, to help us remember the new friends we have made while sharing a love of quilting. It has been a really fun project with a lot of people learning new skills. We will no doubt end up doing a second round next year.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Stash - Craft something solely from stash materials.
Project Name & Page Link: Countdown to Christmas - Pattern
Brief Description: I created this cute little gingerbread countdown to Christmas hanger soley from stash :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Countdown to Halloween - Pattern
Brief Description: I created this little countdown to Halloween hanger using only materials from my stash :smiley:
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Plaid Quilt Top
Brief Description: I made this quilt top entirely from my fabric stash - I actually did it start to finish in one day too…it was quite an achievement!
Project Picture:

Project Name & Page Link: Click on pic to see what it is… (it’s for a current swap - so secret squirrel)
Brief Description: To make the pictured item I used materials entirely from my stash, and they matched my partners preferences to a tee - I was so pleased!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride - Something inspired by your own Hogwarts House.
Project Name & Page Link: (again, secret squirrel)
Brief Description: This is for @jillybeans j and was made for OWS Round 1.
Project Picture: I tried to add the pic with the blur…but it was far too obvious what it was :stuck_out_tongue: I have sent a pic in a PM to @MistressJennie and I will update the post when jillybeans has received.

5 Likes

Yes, I know, food again :stuck_out_tongue:

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy
Project Name & Page Link: German bee sting cake
Brief Description: The only sting to this cake is the name and a little honey, but I thought it looked like an interesting cake and decided to try it. I’m not a fan of the cake, which is just a sweet bun, but I loved the from scratch vanilla pudding and the topping, which I want to try on a normal cake in the future.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Summer spring rolls
Brief Description: My peanut sauce is thicker than it should be, but it worked perfect either way. I always loved the way summer spring rolls look, the colours barely showing through the transparent rice paper. If I should make it again I will try to make the roll slightly smaller so it would be easier to eat for kids.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Radicchio
Project Name & Page Link: Cheesy baked pasta radicchio
Brief Description: I thought this looked amazing, but my version was far more soupy, and the radicchio lost the awesome colour as I cooked it. It still tasted great, but look at the original recipe to see how it SHOULD have looked like.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle studies
Project Name & Page Link: Ube Roll cake
Brief Description: Lars made this cake in Steven Universe, my son, who loves to recreate dishes from movies and shows really wanted me to make this one. I couldn’t get my hands on ube extract so I used only ube and a little purple food colour. This should be more purple, but it’s the first time I made a roll cake. I liked the taste and would certainly make another roll cake later on.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

So much delicious food!

My scale certainly notices it :stuck_out_tongue:
My plan is to learn to make healthier food now, more keto most likely, or anything low carb. So I’m certainly happy about all the recipes being posted here :smiley:

2 Likes

Okay! A little bit of a project dump ahead; I didn’t think to add projects I had posted separately to the craft-a-long (also, still learning so if this is wrong please correct me!)

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
House:Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Florida Mosaic Piece
Brief Description: I am currently working on a series of states based off of the ones that I (or my DH) have lived in. So far I’ve completed GA and FL (all to beautify my home space while we WFH).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Project Name & Page Link: Small Batch Apple Butter
Brief Description: One of my favorite fall trends is that it becomes socially acceptable to use apples for anything and everything.

I adapted a recipe from One Dish Kitchen and here are the changes I made:

• 6 medium Pink Lady apples

• 4 tablespoons of white and brown sugar

• Juice of half a lemon

• Generous shake of cinnamon

• Generous shake of ginger

• a pinch of whole cloves (I crushed them in my mortar + pestle)

• one star anise pod

I cooked my apples down on high in my slow cooker for 4 hours, stirring occasionally, then removed the lid and cooked for an additional hour on low. I then removed the anise and used my immersion blender to create that creamy consistency that really screams apple butter.

Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Hermione’s Book Club
Project Name & Page Link: Kumquat Marmalade
Brief Description: One of my favorite treats is a calamondin marmalade that my Mom used to make when I was younger. Calamondins are definitely a nostalgic treat for me, they evoke summer days by the pool (where my Grandma’s tree was located).

The surprise factor here is that I didn’t realize how similar kumquats could be. I don’t know that I’ve had kumquats before, but I saw a 1/2lb container at the grocery store and knew I wanted to test the waters.

Recipe

1/2 lb of kumquats (seeded, sliced thin)

1/2 lemon juice + zest

6 tbsp sugar

1.5 tbsp pectin

Combine all ingredients and soft boil on medium heat for 20 min. Transfer to container and cool on counter before refrigerating.

Project Picture:

It was a little sweet, so if you want to preserve some of that sour patch consistency that kumquats give, I would add less sugar.

1 Like

I finally have some projects to post! I’ve been painting once a week because I started an art therapy group for cancer patients/survivors. That has lead me to paint more often after group is over. Hurray for that!

Class: Alchemy
Project Name: art therapy painting #1
Project Description: For my first art therapy session I did a little 5x8 painting of a pretty lady and some swirls. It was relieving and very nice to just let myself feel the paint on paper. I think she reminds me of Venus.
Project Picture: image

Class: COMC
Project Name: blue dish scrubbie
Project Description: these dish scrubbier are bright blue like the pixie!
Project Picture:

Class: DADA
Project Name: Mountain climbing with Teddy
Project Description: Nothing gets me through boring times and especially this corona-hex like a little time painting. While we had the virtual meetup I painted two little painting this is one of them.

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Teddy among the hearts
Project Description: nothing is more soothing to me than the feeling of watercolor on paper. Painting feels so good to me. So I painted a little watercolor painting. This one is the other painting I painted while we had the virtual meetup.

4 Likes

Okay, okay, finally finished this guy this evening.

Class or Challenge Title: Flying Class

House: Hufflepuff

Project Name & Page Link:Pumpkin Mini Scene

Brief Description: Normally, my DH and I would spend time visiting Haunted Houses this time of year. With the current state of the world, this little pumpkin is the closest we will get to a spooky encounter!

Project Picture:

5 Likes

I love Teddy’s outfits!!! Those dish scrubboes are definitely evocative of that bright Cornish Pixie blue.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
House: Slytherin :snake:
Project Name & Page Link: Heliotaxis Wedding Shawl (ravelry link)
Brief Description: This was started a year ago, before I joined LC. It is my wedding shawl, I am getting married in 2 weeks! The yarn is 2 skeins of Miss Babs Dulcinea, platinum color. It also has beads, Toho brand 8/0 size AB translucent. It’s very hard to get a good picture of the whole thing, because it is huge.
Project Picture:

6 Likes

Gorgeous, Craftsuntold!

1 Like

Congratulations, hope the wedding is safe and fun :smiley:

1 Like