CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2020

So the first one I bought was this. This one gets really hot then cools down constantly, so it’s hard to get a consistent burn. The burn tips are also not the greatest. I found the shader to be subpar, the fine tip to not be so fine. My sister used the “fine tip” on the boards she burned, and that’s the best you’ll get.

The second one I bought was this. This one is soooooo much better. It still isn’t perfect, but I’d definitely recommend it over the first one I bought. The ballpoint is my favorite tip on this one. The shader is at a better angle and much easier to use, too. It has a dial to control the heat, and the heat seems to be more consistent while using (though not perfect). I used a 60% off coupon on this to drop the price to $40, so keep an eye out for good coupons!

I think the second model I got is good for the casual burner. The pen is much more ergonomic, it doesn’t burn my fingers to hold closer to the tip, and it heats up and cools down WAY FASTER than the cheap tool. It’s also much easier to change tips. If you want to just burn a few things here and there and not burn all the time, I recommend this one. If you plan on burning a lot of projects, then this may not cut it. One day I may invest in an even more expensive burn set, because I enjoy pyrography so much!

2 Likes

Prompt: Advent- 11/1- Seasonal Changes
Team: Gingerbread Mayhem
Project Name: Double Zipper Pouch (w/tutorial) for Carrying My Masks
Project Link: Double Zipper Pouch w/Tutorial
Brief Description: I wanted to make a double zipper pouch for my masks, since I always seem to forget to bring one! I wanted a compartment for the clean ones, and a separate compartment for the used ones. I figured out a way to make it fully lined in both compartments. I couldn’t find an easy, free tutorial and I didn’t want to buy one because I didn’t want it to be complicated. I had this blue shopping bag from a craft store, and the pouch is also made with several layers.

Project Photo(s):
image image

4 Likes

Okay, one last one!

Prompt: Advent: Holly Wreath
Team: Up to Snow Good
Project Name: School Marching Band Pride Wreath
Brief Description: It’s a Wreath!
Project Photo:

5 Likes

I have one more project to add later if I get my tail in gear and take a photo. (Sorry I’ve dropped the ball this month, Team R&E!) For now, my final zap.
Prompt: Zap 5
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (f. Butterscotch)
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Another riff on the Vaguely Less Bad for You Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, swapping some of the flour for cocoa powder and using dark/semisweet and butterscotch chips.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

My husband would love these. Msybe I best not show him the recipe - He’s become quite the Cookie Monster! Lol

1 Like

Prompt: December - Tags
Team: Raking & Entering
Project Name: Bunny1Kenobi stamp
Project Link: -0-
Brief Description: My first stamp! I got a kit last year for Christmas and realized it was time I stopped being nervous and just tried it. It was much easier than I thought it would be, and so much fun. I can see many more stamps in the future. It was a gift for @Bunny1kenobi and it is of her name, so… name is on it.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent – Autumn leaves
Project Name: Toad Feltie
Project Link: Felt Toad Doll
Brief Description: This was another gift for Bunny1Kenobi. She calls her son Toad, and I made a toad! Toads are found in nature.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Photo taken!
Prompt: Tags (December)
Team: Raking and Entering
Project Name: White Christmas ornament
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made a couple of ornaments (that I forgot to photograph :roll_eyes:) for my mom, including a White Christmas themed one. My original idea for that one involved another pop culture reference that I didn’t think would mean anything to her, but I was enamored of it and made it for myself. Long story long, it says “Betty & Judy & Bob & Phil” (names) and hangs on (is attached to) a tree. Here it is in front of my pseudo tree; I may fill it next year to improve readability.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: Free Range #5
Project Name: Chomp Chomp Scarf
Project Link: Chomp Chomp Scarf
Brief Description: A silly children’s scarf inspired by my eel Katsuyuki and a fun online pattern!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #2
Project Name: Psyduck ATC
Project Link: Gotta catch 'em all! Pokémon ATCs
Brief Description: My second ATC for my grand Pokémon project! XD
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Hello everyone… sorry for not showing up in the last … umm… year. Was a bit all over the place, and crafting mojo has gone missing for most of the time.

But thanks to some “nudging” from @roler and @storerboughtcreation I’m now quickly posting some work before the end of the “term”. :wink:

Prompt: NOVEMBER - Penny Bun
Project Name: Christmas Cookies
Project Link: n/a
Brief Description: Lots of baking going on again here… more than actual crafting! We made “Thumb print” cookies.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: NOVEMBER - Button Mushrooms
Project Name: Snowflake
Brief Description: I crocheted a snowflake (it’s white… even though it looks a bit purple-ish in the photo) - it was meant to be the first of many, but then life kicked in again.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Fall/Winter Advent - greeting cards
Project Name: Scrapbook Layout
Brief Description: I managed a scrapbook layout! YAY!! Definitely used paper for that one. :wink:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: FALL/WINTER ADVENT - Turkey Dinner
Project Name: Slytherin Owl Ornament
Brief Description: I crocheted a Slytherin Owl Ornament for the Harry Potter swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: FALL/WINTER ADVENT - Cornucopia
Project Name: First Red Cabbage Canning
Brief Description: The one thing I managed this year was to do some canning - first ever (apart from jam - always done that). We usually have German spiced red cabbage at Christmas, and somehow we had problems to source that in the shops for a very long time (probably 13+), so this year I decided to make my own. It worked fabulously, and we enjoyed one jar of it at Christmas Eve.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: FALL/WINTER ADVENT - Seasonal changes
Project Name: Purple blanket square
Brief Description: I managed to crochet a blanket square! Yay me!! :wink: It’s really nice and soft.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: FALL/WINTER ADVENT - pumpkins
Project Name: Covid Pumpkin
Brief Description: My Pumpkin offering for this year’s Halloween … with mask and virus.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: FALL/WINTER ADVENT - Halloween
Project Name: Little Pumpkin
Brief Description: I crocheted a little pumpkin to be used in a Halloween wreath later on.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

The stamp is so cute! And the Toad is adorable! Thank you @gozer! :heart:

Prompt: December Battle- Gift Box
Project Name: Pink house
Brief Description: I made this tiny little house for @gozer. I she likes miniatures but is not such a huge fan of MAKING them! I found this cute kit and since pink is one of her favorite colors, I thought she should have it. I also made all the tiny furniture. I should have put a penny next to it for scale, but the blue one I made for grenouille78 is the same size so I’ve included a scale photo of hers. It is somewhat box shaped and it was wrapped in a box when I sent it to her.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #10- Holly Wreath
Project Name: Mini furnishings
Brief Description: I made these also for gozer, for her felt animals. They feature genuine leather. They are a decoration.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Stamp Organizing (Part 1)
Brief Description: This is part of a HUGE project to organize my craft room. I have a closet that houses my stamps and paper crafting supplies, and it’s a bit of a mess. I have a large supply of Stampin’ Up stamps, and found that the cases that the wood-mounted stamps came in usually took up more room than the stamps needed. And, the way they were stacked on a bookshelf made it hard to find a particular set. Also, many of the sets were still not assembled. So, I decided to create a catalog of my wood-mounted Stampin’ Up sets (plus a few other random sets). I started by taking a photo of each stamp set, and assembling (cutting, mounting, and labeling) any sets that needed it. Then, I created a spreadsheet with the name of the stamp set, the photo, and some keywords for each set. This created a searchable database. Next, I ordered some Iris boxes that hold a single layer of the stamps. I numbered each box (1-27). I sorted the sets into some rough categories (Christmas/Winter, Halloween, Thank You, Alphabets, Sentiments, etc.) and then played some stamp Tetris to fit as many sets into a box as I could. I kept the sets together, and didn’t split any between 2 boxes. Then, on the spreadsheet, I added the box # for each set. Finally, I printed out the spreadsheet (2 sets per page) and put them into a binder (in page protectors). Now, I can find my stamps more easily. I can search by keyword (if I want to make a birthday card, for example) in the spreadsheet to find the bin # or I can flip through the binder to look at the images of the stamps. I started this project in the summer of 2019, and it languished during the school year. I worked on it some more this summer, but didn’t finish it until last month. The next project will be to organize and catalog the sets of cling stamps and photopolymer stamps. Those should be easier because they don’t need to be assembled first!

Project Photo(s):

And, that’s going to be it for me for 2020. I had a couple of projects almost ready to make but couldn’t find some of the supplies. Hopefully, as the larger project of organizing the craft room continues, it’ll be easier to find things!

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Laurali’s Unicorn
Project Link: Laurali's Unicorn
Brief Description: I made this for my first cousin twice removed. I hope she likes it! Follow the link for a few more photos.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Holy Hannah!!! That’s a LOT of stamps!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

This little unicorn is the CUTEST!!

1 Like

It is! But somehow, it seems like less when I put them in the Iris boxes :laughing: I love to make cards, but now I can see how I can use them on journal pages, or ATC backgrounds, so they’ll get a lot more use. I have some sets that are just words and phrases that would be perfect for ATCs!

3 Likes