CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2022

Thank you! I’m going to order some to try! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Prompt: February Battle - Word Games
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Valentines
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I’ve had a little Valentine craft kit in my stash for a while. I decided to put them together! I also genuinely enjoy both word and number games, but since these items have words, I went with that.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Anagrams
Project Name: Peace on a string
Brief Description: I really like the kid’s craft kits that are sold at craft stores around holidays. I think they’re cute and fun and low stress projects. I picked up several winter/Christmas ones on clearance. Slightly out of season, but a head start on the holidays! These kept getting very tangled up and jumbled. I actually had to spend several minutes getting them sorted and laid out just to take a photo. This one took a surprisingly long time, too. I had to make all of the tassels by hand! Another tangly story.

Project Photo(s):

peace string

Prompt: February - Word Search
Project Name: Ornaments on a string
Brief Description: Another kit. These have stuffing hidden inside!

Project Photo(s):

ornament string

Prompt: February - Crossword Puzzles
Project Name: Piñata Tree
Brief Description: And another kit. The base of this is a tree-shaped box.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: A Dozen Ornaments
Brief Description: This was a fun kit. It had 12 different ornaments. I made one or two each day for the past weekish. It was also annoying…a lot of the pieces weren’t pre-cut, which one typically expects in these types of kits! It was a great deal at like $3 though, so I didn’t complain too much. :laughing:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Cloche Hat
Brief Description: This is the hat I made for Bunny1kenobi in the Nerd Games Swap! This was the fourth attempt, like I mentioned in the swap thread. The first one I burned with an iron. That has never happened to me before. I think I must have accidentally bumped the dial, because it was fine the whole time…until it wasn’t. The second one came out confusingly small, even though it was the same material and pattern. The third one, I moved to a different pattern and fabric because I was getting a tad frustrated…and it was also a mess, lol. This one, though! I love it! I made the flower with a cool ribbon I found, and the leaves I also cut from ribbon and singed the edges. Overall, I’m glad the others didn’t work, because I like this one so much. It’s the Elsewhen Millinery Isabelle pattern, if anyone is curious.

Project Photo(s):

hat1

8 Likes

I love the hat!!!

All the kid kits look fun!

If you’re not sure what to do with it, next time we swap, if you wanna throw the too-small cloche in the bag, it might look adorable on my granddaughter. Or my mom. She has a ridiculously tiny head.

4 Likes

Oh, great idea! It’s sitting on my stack of half-finished projects. I stopped when I realized it was way too small. I’ll go back to it!

3 Likes

Prompt: February - Sudoku
Project Name: Felt Tree
Brief Description: This is the last of the kits I picked up. I think it’s so cute! It’s about 3 feet tall. Already looking forward to putting it up next winter. The process of making it was repetitive, and there are nine “ornaments” on it, if you include the tree topper!

Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

@gozer That shark is so cute! I want him to eat all my pencils. :laughing: Your doll customization are always amazing! I love hair! Perfect. And oh my gosh, that elephant! Tooooo cute! They’re one of my favorite animals, and I agree with you.

2 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Sultan Virus Shawl
Project Link: Sultan Virus Shawl
Brief Description: I looove my new shawl! I keep telling myself that someday I’ll time how long it takes me to make something like this, but it was split up into so many sessions all over the place that I honestly have NO IDEA, other than that it was a DARN LOT OF TIME.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

I love the colors! Congratulations on finishing!

2 Likes

@roler OMG, that’s gorgeous! I love the colors you chose. Hooray on completing such a huge project!

2 Likes

Prompt: February Battle - Word Games
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Business Card Art
Project Link:
Brief Description: I blatantly stole this idea from a coworker, but it was so neat I had to do it myself too! This is a bunch of my business cards glued together and framed, with just one facing front. I love the colorful backs of my cards! And of course I’m choosing word games because that is what I do all day every day: puzzle out the best way to word things, literally to be used in games. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s): (some text redacted :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

7 Likes

I love the shawl! And the wall art is indeed clever! I can see why you wanted this for yourself. Plus you did a nice job!

2 Likes

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: Valentine’s Dinner
Brief Description: It was unexpected to have Monday off work, so instead of going out to dinner for Valentine’s Day, I decided I would make something instead (our favorite place is closed on Mondays, anyway). I ended up doing a full meal, and maybe went just a tad overboard. It was all pretty good though! On the menu, all from scratch, was: fresh squeezed lemonade, deviled eggs, pan seared scallops with garlic herb lemon butter sauce, gruyere and parmesan twists, beef stroganoff, roasted asparagus, and tiramisu. And I decorated the smallest amount with my Lego flowers, the valentines I made last week, and some fancy napkins leftover from Thanksgiving, lol. :laughing: I started at noon, and everything was done by about 5:30 pm. It was actually fun, too. I haven’t been able to cook that much recently, and got to try out some new recipes.

Project Photo(s):

valentine dinner

7 Likes

@roler That is such a neat project! The cutest business cards, and what a fun way to celebrate a cool job!

3 Likes

Lego flowers? Wow!

And that is a very tasty looking spread!

2 Likes

Prompt: February - Battle - Number Games
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Gymnast
Project Link: Uneven bar gymnast
Brief Description: I went with number games because counted cross stitch requires a lot of counting.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

@Bunny1kenobi Thank you! Lego has a bunch of fun flower sets! We’re on a Lego fixation at the moment, and I gotta have 'em all. :laughing: If you like Lego, I’d recommend them! They’re usually quick but interesting builds, and don’t look out of place being nicely displayed.

@storerboughtcreation What a cool cross stitch! Are you making a larger project, or it was just for fun?

1 Like

That was just for fun. I just started a giant diamond art kit that will keep me busy for a while!

5 Likes

Oooh thats a big one!! I love Starry Night, can’t wait to see the final product!

1 Like

Prompt: January - Scrub a dub
Team: RWS
Project Name: Arizona ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: This ATC features a few saguaro cacti and they are prickly!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Anagrams
Project Name: Astronomer’s Study
Project Link: The Astronomer’s study
Brief Description: This altered Altoids tin features excerpts from the poem, “The Old Astronomer To His Pupil”, by Sarah Williams. If you wanted to get the whole poem, you would have to do some shuffling, since I only included select verses of the entire work.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February- Word Search
Project Name: Owl TM patch magnet
Project Link: TM patch magnet
Brief Description: It took a while to search out just the right buttons for this little patch!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February- Bingo
Project Name: Dinosaur bookmark
Project Link: He’s got a looooong neck
Brief Description: This little guy has columns (stripes) on his neck.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Kindness ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: This atc was made for a swap
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap #1
Project Name: lip balm
Project Link:
Brief Description: A quick little extra for the box of color swap.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project #1
Project Name: Cross stitch forest
Project Link: Cross Stitch forest
Brief Description: I am not a super fast cross stitcher. Add to that, that this Aida cloth is a small 18 count, and yeah… it definitely cleared 20 hours.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February- Crossword Puzzle
Project Name: Zip pouch
Project Link: Odd little pouch
Brief Description: This zipper pouch is constructed of blocks sewn together.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: More Tiny Triceratops
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: I made 9 more triceratops! Each one takes me over a half an hour, so the 9 together took over 5 hours. I used a variety of yarns, so they came out slightly different sizes, depending on the brand.

Project Photo(s):

The new addtions:

The entire herd!

6 Likes