CLOSED: Nerd Games - Winter 2022

I dropped the ball for January prompt. Ugh

2 Likes

You can craft any of the January prompts until the end of the season, except for the January battle. The battle is the only time sensitive prompt, so if you have something that will fit any of the other prompts (or any of the February prompts for that matter), post away! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah okay, thanks. I am still going to make my January item and post it.

1 Like

I love the February prompts!!! I love the number 3, I am born in March the 3rd month and have 3 kids.

4 Likes

Prompt: January - reading in the tub
Team: RWS
Project Name: A skirt for ME!
Project Link: I made myself a skirt!
Brief Description: I had to do a lot of adjustments while making thisā€¦ and once you cut fabric, thereā€™s no going backā€¦
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: February - Bingo!
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Grogu
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I was emotionally done with markers, and then I had an overwhelming urge to do a picture of Grogu/Baby Yoda. I used a reference pic to freehand, and Iā€™m pretty happy with how it turned outā€¦it was fun to do some shading and less ā€œprecisionā€ work than the Archie characters required.

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Awwwwā€¦ heā€™s adorable! I think this may be my favorite!

1 Like

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Brains
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I needed a few very specific brain diagrams for work. None of the ones I could find were quite right for my purposes. So I sketched some out with pencil, lined with marker, and scanned them. Iā€™m turning them into coloring sheets with labels and descriptions of what each part does. A weird and surprisingly fun project, that actually turned out pretty well!

Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Thanks, Bunny! Heā€™s my favorite, too! :blush:

Prompt: January- Rubber Duckie (youā€™re the one!)
Project Name: Tiny Triceratops Trio
Project Link: Tiny Triceratops Trio
Brief Description: I came across this pattern: Triceratops Amigurumi ā€“ Club Crochet and they were so darn adorable, I had to make one! Plus, the triceratops is my favorite dinosaur (because everyone should have a favorite dinosaur, right?). I followed along with the video to make the first one (the aqua one) and then, because they were so quick to make (and so freakinā€™ CUTE!!), I made 2 more. The second two (the orange and the goldā€¦ which is a shade of yellow) together took me only a little longer than the first one. I would have made more but I didnā€™t have any more of the small eyes (and attaching the eyes was the hardest part of this whole pattern).

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Woah! Those brains are amazing!!

And the triceratops are adorable!

1 Like

@Lynx Beautiful art! I love the hummingbirds! What a cool technique! Great use of the masterboard, too, those magnets look pretty. Iā€™ve been intrigued by stamp carving for a long time! I hope youā€™ll share more! That assemblage art is awesome, too! Love it!

@roler EEek! Such cute ATCs! The expression the walrus has is perfect!

@Smeddley That pocket mouse is so adorable! A lucky friend you have!

@gozer I am in AWE of your skill! That Leia portrait is amazing. The gold is a beautiful element. And thewatercolors, too. Seriously! Also, those ATCs are great!

@storerboughtcreation That diamond art is adorable! Hopefully your wrists survived! :laughing: I remember that Release the Quacken project! Yours looks great!

@Bunny1kenobi Loving all the ATCs! Theyā€™re all so different, fun, and nice! Your sketch turned out great! Super cute! (And I hear you on the time intensityā€¦half my drawing time is erasing :upside_down_face: ) Beautiful skirt, too! It looks like a perfect fit!

@megwell Those note cards are great! What a fun idea!

@Tanath Great to see you, again! That soup looks delicious! Itā€™s about 2 degrees Fahrenheit here, so it really sounds extra good!

@ezrib I look forward to seeing more of your bathroom! Granny is adorable!

@craftADDchick Thatā€™s such a good idea for a bath mat! I might have to do that. That banner is such a sweet surprise, and good tip on the notebook covers from the dollar store! Wouldnā€™t have thought of that! And OMG, those dinos! The cutest!

5 Likes

Prompt: January ā€“ Scrub-a-Dub
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Shark pouch
Project Link: Shark Zippered Pouch
Brief Description: I decided on the shark for this prompt because it is scrappy and the edges are done with pinking shears. Also, it helps keep things clean and organized.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: February - Anagram
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Monster High Wig
Project Link: First Monster High doll wig
Brief Description: I had to glue lines and lines of hair weft to create this. It looked like a jumbled mess, but in the end, it worked! Check the link to see the before and after.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

The shark is so fun!

And that wig is perfect on her.

1 Like

That shark pouch is fintastic! :smiley: Is it your own design?

3 Likes

No, I added the link to the pattern in the post and I tagged you. If you try it, best of luck. Let me know if it was as jacked up as I thought it was. :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Prompt: February Battle - Numbers Game
Team: Running w Scissors
Project Name: Elephant Pin Cushion
Project Link: Elephant Pin Cushion
Brief Description: Feel like I am going dark here, but I think the survival of elephants is a numbers game at this point. We need more for the species to survive. This pin cushion was made for the Box of Color swap.
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

@LovelyMiss I think your Grogu is adorable. What paper are you using? I think you are doing great, but if you keep getting frustrated you can try different papers to get different results. They make a HUGE difference.

1 Like

@gozer Thank you for the great tip! I am using Strathmore Marker Paper. I just got a small pack of Yupo paper to try. Do you have any recommendations or favorites? I like the thickness of the Strathmore paperā€¦the other marker papers I have looked at are so thinā€¦but maybe thatā€™s okay?

1 Like

My all time favorite is this:

It is MUCH thicker, but I absolutely love it. I also have the Copic paper. Itā€™s good, but I love the Canson. It can take so saturation.

2 Likes