Fabric masterboard

I used an old net curtain and lots of scraps to make a fabric masterboard.
Front (as it was stitched)

Back

I prefer the back (bobbin thread side). I think this is because I had tension issues (solved by rereading the bobbin in exactly the same way!) that show on the front and also because there are more tucks and lumpy bits on the front than the back.

I used lots of fabric scraps
Uploading: 20200224_124032.jpg…

17 Likes

What a great idea!! Do you have projects in mind for it?

1 Like

I do!
I’ll try to remember to tag you when they are posted :crossed_fingers::grin:

Wow! This is a cool idea. Must have taken some effort at the sewing machine. Can’t wait to see what you make out of it.

1 Like

Fun! I like all the spangles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. But, no.

When I cut it all the pieces twisted, so the rectangles i cut are no longer rectangular.
They were supposed to be ATC bases but not good enough to send out.

I have learnt from this though - if I’m using only net as a base, the scraps layer needs to be thicker/scraps need to be bigger/I need to stitch more to give it some stability.
Another option would be to use disolvable stabilizer, if I want it double sided.
If I’m not worried about the back I could use any interfacing which would stop the twisting.
Having a break then I’ll try again.

3 Likes

could you use some strong glue and mount them on cardboard?

1 Like

I don’t know, but it’s worth a try!
Thank you for the suggestion.

I think they would make great scrappy ATCs even if they aren’t perfectly straight!

3 Likes

Agree! Wonky = “character”! :grin:

1 Like

I actually like them twisted and irregularly shaped. I think they look more interesting! Don’t give up on them!

:metal:

1 Like

Yes! Don’t trash them, by any means. Too much pretty-sparkle to discard. :smile: You could sew them to other fabric scraps of about the same density, turning it into crazy quilting. then do the stabilizing things folks have said to the whole thing, then cut up the whole thing to the size you desire.

1 Like

Ooo! Very cool! Thanks for sharing so much about the process and what you learned.

1 Like

Also, using glue as a fray stop rather than stitching the edges, could help you avoid the twisting.

1 Like

These are neeto! You could decorate them like you would for ATCs and then string them together like bunting :grin:

1 Like

Thank you all for the love!
I’ve not been feeling great recently, could just be a week at home with the boys over half term (don’t get me wrong, I love them so much, but by heck I was glad when they went to school this morning!), it could be depression creeping back or I could just be having a meh time, who knows, but when these didn’t work out, I was ready to give up.

After all your comments I will continue with them, and we shall see what happens :+1:

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Very cool concept - you’ll figure out the execution! They are truly one of a kind!

Those are so cool! Love seeing your process - thanks for sharing!

These are marvelous! It would be easy to mount them onto an ATC sized square background so you could still use them for those, or a frame go you could see both sides!. They are very interesting to look at & would make such amazing cards.