Mid-Michigan Color Tour Handspun Merino Yarn - F&T 2020 Q4 Contest Entry

I had this Merino roving in my stash from a colorway I put together last year. Technically, I had the greens and some white. I didn’t have enough of any one color to make a decent amount of yarn, and so it sat. It wasn’t until this challenge was announced that I thought of splitting and dyeing the white to go with the greens.

Mid-October (right around my birthday! what a gift!) is when the trees in my neck of the woods really start showing off their gorgeous color changes…and, typically, before we get enough wind and rain to knock all the leaves to the ground. There’s that magic window of time, just a few days, to really appreciate the spectacular colors, and then it’s gone. Every year, I find myself mesmerized by it and desperately wanting to capture the light that filters through the stained glass-like leaves.

The evergreen and lime green roving are commercially dyed. The white, I split into roughly even portions and dyed with food coloring: red, brown-red, brown, yellow, and orange.

I split the colors and fractal-spun them into an aran-weight two-ply yarn. It’s about 7.25 ounces and 490 yards.

The inspiration:

Before setting the twist:

In-process:

26 Likes

You captured the colors so beautifully! Fantastic!

3 Likes

Wow! Those colors turned out fantastic. Beautifully done.

3 Likes

So gorgeous!

2 Likes

Yummy

2 Likes

I always want to wrap myself in that glorious autumn leaf light. This is such a perfect manifestation. There’s something about your red-brown color in the mix that makes it really feel like a glimpse of the trees.

2 Likes

That looks so fluffy and gorgeous! I love the colors!

1 Like

Gorgeous!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s absolutely gorgeous :heart: :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

Absolutely stunning!

2 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful! I love it!

2 Likes

Thanks, everybody!

1 Like

Wow, I love this! Makes me long for those color changes that I don’t see much of in southern Arizona! Also makes me long for knitted things in those delicious colors… sigh … alas, knitted things are not common in my wardrobe -it’s just too warm here. (Which is something I typically don’t complain about, honestly!)

2 Likes

Ohhh, beautiful. All my favorite colors.

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Stunning!!! I admire your skills very very much. What a lovely finished product!!!

1 Like

Thank you!