My Ongoing Felt Project from stitchalong prompts: March --Spring Deer Under the Northern Lights (Originally Puffins on the Rocks)

20210311_154204_resize_17

March’s prompt was "Spring fauna/floral/fairies. You can read more about this in my March Stitchalong Post

January’s stitchalong prompt is “Let’s Go on a Trip!” Originally, I had settled on embroidering the biggest place on my bucket list: Machu Picchu. But, then I decided I didn’t actually know what I would do with that, so when I found this free Puffins on Rocks Square by Downeast Thunder Farm, I knew that was how I wanted to represent the theme!

February’s prompt is “something you love.” I don’t know if adding to this piece will count as a new project, but I love mountains and quilting, so I stitched up this mountain themed sashing border and it really makes the puffin piece stand out!

20210105_200453_resize_95

I used two techniques on this. I individually cut out the background pieces and stitched them together one by one, unlayered. I decided to layer the puffins.

I think it’s so cute! It kinda reminds me of my home state, Alaska (we have puffins there), and the idea of going on a puffin tour in Maine! (maybe with some LCers one day!) I was at Maine’s Lobster Fest a few years ago and brought home some puffin trinkets.

15 Likes

I hope you get to go on your trip!

But in the meantime, what a very cute piece…I love how you did the layering.

2 Likes

Thank you! This was fun to put together while I wait for my bird book and felt to arrive!

2 Likes

What a fun interpretation of the prompt!

2 Likes

I love it and I love puffins

2 Likes

Very cute! There is a ladies toilet in the Reykjavik airport with a GIANT puffin photo on the wall, so you should add that to your list! :smile:

2 Likes

The puffins are adorable and I like how they “pop” since the background is flat. Neat effect.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone so much for your kind comments!

@gozer, yeah, I really like that effect, too!

2 Likes

Cute! You’ve got kind of a 3-D thing going there!

I’ve adjusted my post title and post so I can add to this throughout the year.
January: Puffins on the rocks
February: mountain border

March: spring fawn under the northern lights

20210311_154204_resize_17

Oh, I’ll play! @Lynx & @kittykill, what do you think about scootching this topic into craftalongs? Or did you mean for a solo project?

I like what you’re doing here Laura, a little scrappy stitchy, so cool!

2 Likes

It’s my solo project. I’ll add “my” to title to be more clear.

Aha, I gotcha! Looking forward to your creations, I’m on a ph w teeny font so maybe missed if you said what you’re up to with this. Do you have a total plan or are you just kinda playing, making it up as you go?

I’m following the stitchalong prompts. I started with the puffins (travel) in January, and made this thread. Then, decided just to add to it instead on a new thread each month. Feb was “things you love,” so added mountain border to puffins. March is “welcome spring/fawna/floral/fairies” so did the fawn. My goal is to make the themes work together coherently and have a final piece at the end of the year instead of 12 random pieces.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to April & May’s additions!

2 Likes

I haven’t had time to think about April’s yet. :frowning:

1 Like

Combine two themes? April showers & May flowers…?

The theme for this is in the stitchalong craftalong. I just need crafting time to think on my design and work on it.

1 Like