Welcome! If you have never participated in the Nerd Games, you may be wondering how to join. The simple answer is:
- Craft a project
- Pick an corresponding prompt to enter your project under
- Fill out the prompt header with relevant info (click the section you have a specific question about to jump to the info)
- Hit reply, and you’ve posted!
Note from your Nerd Games Captain:
I know this looks like a lot of information and probably appears intimidating. I assure you, it’s really not. The details listed here are just providing a deeper look into how/why we do things, and answers some questions that are often asked. This post section tries to answer those. The following post sections are more detailed information about filling out the project header, and the over explanation of the prompts and how they work.
If at any time you have a question about something, please ask away! Myself, my Lieutenant @Smeddley, and any of our seasoned participants will happily answer your questions to help you out.
As simple as it is to join, there are a few questions that frequently come up, so I’m here to try to answer them as best I can.
There is a lot of information regarding the various prompt types and how they work, so they have their own section. To jump right to what each of the prompts are and how to post them, you can jump directly to the post
You can post these at any point during the season. Everyone is different! I often post as I finish a project, especially the monthly battles as they are time sensitive. Some people choose to wait until the end of each month and do a project dump of all of their projects completed to that point. Some people will post their battle and then post everything else at the end of the season. Some people just post everything at the end of the season. It’s really just a matter of preference.
Nope! You can craft all of the things, or you can post just one project for the season. You can participate as much or as little as you are able to. This is just a fun way to encourage you to be more crafty, share your work, spark inspiration, and above all else, have fun!
You can! The sole opportunity for bonus points is to make a post for your project in the larger Lettuce Craft community. This will earn you an extra 20 points per project.
Honestly, most seasons the points are pretty useless for anything other than bragging rights if your team ends up with the highest average. Kind of like Whose Line is it Anyway?, the points are added up but really don’t matter
- Some seasons the points actually do matter. If a raffle is being run, you can “spend” your points on raffle prizes in an attempt to win something. The more points you have, the more bids you can enter. We don’t do a raffle often, but they do happen on occasion.
Craftalongs are a great way to get inspiration! In the Nerd Games, there are various prompts (I will break those down later) that you can either be inspired by to create something, or if you’ve already created something, you can find a prompt that fits your craft. It’s a great way to get encouragement from others, show off your skills, and also discover new skills and crafts through the other members.
- From the homepage, you can go to Crafty Shenanigans > Craftalongs > and then scroll through until you find the Nerd Games title and find it there. Or you can search Nerd Games in the search bar at the top of the page.
- Each season of the Nerd Games runs for 3 months
– Winter runs from January 1 to March 31
– Spring runs from April 1 to June 30
– Summer runs from July 1 to September 30
– Fall runs from October 1 to December 31
- To help know when a season is over, the title for the season will also be changed to CLOSED - Nerd Games to avoid confusion.
We use Central Time (GMT -6 hours) as the time zone for what time the monthly battles need to be submitted and when the season ends.
- The first post of each season lists the rules, a copy of the project header, the teams, and other various info you may find helpful.
- The second post is the tracking and team roster. This is where your name will be added under the appropriate team once you’ve posted your first project. Once I have caught up on tracking, your name will become a link to your checklist so you can see what you’ve already crafted for the season and what you have left to do if you’re attempting to craft all the things.
- The third post is usually where you will find the prompts
- Sometimes there are additional informational posts included, such as games, prizes, or other exciting events.
All of these are reserved spots before the season begins. Once the season has begun, everyone can begin posting or commenting within the thread.