CLOSED - Nerd Games - Fall 2023

Welcome to the Nerd Games!

Runs October 1, 2023 - December 31, 2023

This is a craftalong where nerdy crafters all over the world can share our projects and give each other encouragement - that’s really all there is to it! If you feel you might be a nerd, or enjoy some nerdy things of any kind, or if you’re just nerdy about crafting, you’re more than welcome here!

HOW TO JOIN

Simply make any craft, take photos of it, and post them in this group with the following header, which will be explained below:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed below)
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine)
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points)
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt.)
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!)

FAQs

Have more specific questions about the Nerd Games? You can find FAQs here!

THE TEAMS

There are three teams to choose from, and no requirements for joining any of them; simply choose one that speaks to you, put the team name in your first project header, and presto - you’re a member! You will remain on the same team for the entire season. You may change teams in future seasons.

• Team So Corn-fused
  • Team Don’t Stop Beleafing
  • Team Gourd of the Rings

THE PROMPTS

Prompts will be posted on a monthly basis in the post below. Please choose a prompt. Monthly battles are the only time sensitive prompts. The non-battle prompts are open for the entire season. See THE POINTS section below for point values and several additional crafting opportunities for each of your crafts. You can craft specifically to fit the prompts, or you can craft first and then find a prompt to fit it into. We’re pretty lax about slightly stretched interpretations of the prompts; just explain in your description how it fits!

• Monthly prompts will close at 11:59pm Central Time on the last day of the current month.

BONUS POINTS

We are trying to keep things simple, so there will only be one type of bonus point available. COMMUNITY POINTS will be given when you post a link to a post you’ve made within the Lettuce Craft community, and will be worth 20 bonus points for each project shared. Please be sure to participate in the entire community and not just in the craftalong!

THE POINTS

This competition is just for fun and the points are for nothing more than motivation and bragging rights, but go ahead and rack up points by posting projects for you team! Points break down as follows:

• Monthly battles and prompts: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time)
  • Free Range: 20 points each (must take at least 30 minutes of crafting time. Up to six allowed per season
  • Big Time projects: 50 points each (must take at least 5 hours of crafting time. Up to three allowed per season)
  • Zaps: 10 points each (any craft that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Up to five allowed per season)
  • Research Projects: 100 points (must take at least 20 hours of crafting time. Up to two per season)
  • Bonus Points: COMMUNITY bonus points (worth 20 extra per project) are the only bonus opportunity available at this time.

Special Note:
All prompts are supposed to be crafted within the current season. However, we have decided to make an exception to this rule. Let’s say you craft something for a swap near the end of the Summer season. You’ve sent the swap package, but it hasn’t been received yet. Fall season begins, your partner has received their swap item, and you are ready to post. You may go ahead and post your project from the previous season for the current season.

THE RULES

• Players must craft to the best of their abilities and have a minimum of 30 minutes of crafting time per submission, unless otherwise noted.
  • A project can only be submitted for one prompt or crafting opportunity.
  • A project does NOT have to be "nerdy,” it only has to fulfill the prompt as you see fit.
  • Submitted projects must be started and completed during the current season, unless otherwise noted.
  • There is SO MUCH to do in the Nerd Games. Do not feel like you have to craft everything. Do what inspires you.
  • We welcome all players from the Nerdyverse, no matter their Geekdom. We even welcome non-nerds!
  • We are never mean.
  • We never exclude someone.
  • We will keep it clean-ish (PG-13).
  • Never hesitate in contacting the Gamemakers (@storerboughtcreation or @Smeddley) with your questions, concerns, or ideas.

Previous Seasons:

Summer 2023
Spring 2023
Winter 2023
Fall 2022
Summer 2022
Spring 2022
Winter 2022
Fall 2021
Summer 2021
Spring 2021
Winter 2021
Fall 2020
Summer 2020
Spring 2020
Winter 2020

2 Likes

Tracking and Teams

Team So Corn-fused
LovelyMiss
gozer
Smeddley
ezrib
Tanath
roler

Team Don’t Stop Beleafing
LindyBlues
storerboughtcreation
craftADDchick

Team Gourd of the Rings
megwell
Bunny1kenobi
bluebird
QueenHobo

2 Likes

Please post your projects with the following header:

Prompt: (Write the name of the prompt you are entering your craft for here. Don’t forget to include the month!)
Team: (Choose one of three, listed above) *
Project Name: (Name your craft anything you like; fanciful titles or simple labels/descriptions are all fine) *
Project Link: (Paste the link to your community post for the bonus points) *
Brief Description: (Tell us anything you’d like to about the craft, such as how you made it, and why it fits the prompt .)**
Project Photo(s): (Post photos of your awesome craft here, so we can ooh and aah over it!) *

• October Battle - Prehistoric vs Historic Archeology (prehistoric archeology is about civilizations that did not have written records, whereas historic archeology is about civilizations that did leave behind written records) - CLOSED
  • November Battle: High-Tech Surveillance vs Old-School Stakeout - CLOSED
  • December Battle: Amateur Armchair Detective vs Hard-Boiled Police Investigator

October theme - Archeology!

1. Relic Hunter – craft something that is meant to look old or antique, uses recycled or broken pieces, is made of clay or stone, or is gray.
  2. The Librarians - craft something with a pattern you got from the library, involves books or words, is made of paper, or is black or white.
  3. The Detectorists - craft something that uses a found object, is made of metal or “gems”, or is gold.
  4. Blood and Treasure - craft something using a piece of artwork, made using paint, that is flat, or is multi-colored.
  5. Uncharted - craft something that is new to you, uses a map, is meant to be hidden/has secret compartments, has dragons or sea monsters (“here be dragons/sea monsters” of old maps), or is blue.

November Theme - Spies like us!

1. MI-5 – Craft something that has 5 sides or parts, has 5 (or more) steps in the process, uses acronyms or jargon, or is black and white.
  2. Chuck – Craft something nerdy or computer-related, or has lines, or is green.
  3. Burn Notice – Craft something using heat or fire, has words, is Florida-centric, or is yellow or orange.
  4. The Avengers – Craft something that is inspired by the 60s, comes in pairs, something you’ve tried and failed before (avenging your loss!), or is pink or polka dotted.
  5. MacGyver – Craft something improvised, uses recycled/found objects, uses something not for its intended purpose, or is blue.

December Theme - Investigators!

1. Murdoch Mysteries - craft something old-timey, something that is Canada-themed, or something that is brown or tweed.
  2. Castle - craft something that is wordy or literary related, uses books or paper, or is black or white.
  3. Only Murders in the Building - craft something that makes noise, is used in a performance, is related to your favorite podcast, or is fuzzy (in honor of Mabel’s sweaters).
  4. The Last Detective - craft something that is tricky or problematic for you, that you gave up on/haven’t managed to finish (WIP time!), is English themed, or is gray or drab.
  5. Hamish Macbeth - craft something that is nature-themed, Scottish themed, made of cloth (tartan), or is red.
5 Likes

Happy Fall! We are doing another 12 week winter countdown advent event! Each week on Sunday I will post a new prompt for you to craft. These are EXTRA prompts, and the same rules and bonuses apply as regular monthly prompts. You will just have a lot more prompts this season to tap into your crafty mojo! Have fun and happy holidays! This event begins on October 1st.

The countdown has a music theme! Each prompt will include a song you might use as inspiration in your creating. The songs are loose associations to a theme either through title or lyrics as a way to provide a variety of inspiration options

Week 1: October 1

Creep. We’re creeping into spooky season! Craft an item over multiple days, or inspired by the song “Creep” by Radiohead.

Week 2: October 8

Psycho Killer. :notes: Fa-fa-fa-fa, fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fall weather :notes:. (Get it? To the tune of the song? :upside_down_face:) Craft an item that requires meticulous detail, or inspired by the song “Psycho Killer” by Talking Heads.

Week 3: October 15

I Put A Spell On You. A spell to get creative! Craft an item that requires glue or adhesives, or inspired by the song “I Put A Spell On You” by Nina Simone.

Week 4: October 22

Sisters of the Moon. We’ll have a full Moon on October 28! Craft an item that uses the color gray, or inspired by the song “Sisters of the Moon” by Fleetwood Mac.

Week 5: October 29

Feed My Frankenstein. “Actually, Frankenstein is the doctor. It’s Frankenstein’s Monster.” Craft something that is ANNOYING (like that fact) to make, or something inspired by the song “Feed My Frankenstein” by Alice Cooper.

Week 6: November 5

Time Warp. How is it already November?! Craft an item that might be considered sparkly, or inspired by the song “Time Warp” from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Week 7: November 12

Gone Till November. Groove into Fall. Craft an item that requires liquid, or inspired by the song “Gone Till November” by Wyclef Jean.

Week 8: November 19

Autumn Sweater. Bundle up, it’s getting chilly! Craft an item using paper, or inspired by the song “Autumn Sweater” by Yo La Tengo.

Week 9: November 26

Operator. The season might have you thinking of, talking to, or seeing folks you haven’t in a while. Finish a WIP, or craft an item inspired by the song “Operator” by Jim Croce.

Week 10: December 3

Cold as Ice. It’s just not winter unless you complain about the cold. Craft an item that you’ve wanted to make but kept putting off, or inspired by the song “Cold as Ice” by Foreigner.

Week 11: December 10

Give It Away. Craft an item that you’ll give as a gift, or is inspired by the song “Give It Away” by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Week 12: December 17

Some Nights. The Winter solstice is December 21 in the Northern Hemisphere, and the nights are getting long. Craft an item incorporating the color black, or inspired by the song “Some Nights” by FUN.

BONUS: December 24

BONUS

The Dock of the Bay. Chill and enjoy the rest of the year. Craft an item while you watch a show (share the show when you post), or inspired by the song “The Dock of the Bay” by Otis Redding.

3 Likes

Pin Prize Collection

We’re continuing the Nerd Games enamel pin collection! Each season you’ll have the opportunity to earn up to three pins. Each pin will be different, and every season the pins offered will be different. Try to collect them all, or have fun picking and choosing ones to work toward!

ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EVENT:

In celebration of the 10 year anniversary of the Nerd Games, there’s a special pin event running all year, in addition to the events each season.

Super Nerd: Participate in every Nerd Games season this year by submitting at least one project in each round (Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall). (You will claim this pin in December 2023).

FALL EVENTS:

Celebration: As we close out the 10 year anniversary of the Nerd Games, write an mini essay post in the discussion thread telling us about your experience with the Nerd Games/crafting, and what it means to you. (Think about it being roughly a paragraph or two. There’s no word count requirement.) In addition, post at least five projects in the current Nerd Games thread.

Explorer: Create separate posts in the appropriate LC boards for at least five projects this season – each project must be in a different board category (e.g., Art, Home & Garden, Fashion & Wearables, Fiber & Textile, Food & Drink, Paper & Vinyl). Of course, you must also submit the projects in the Nerd Games thread!

Care: Do something crafty that will benefit charity or your IRL community in some way and post it as a project (if it qualifies - if it doesn’t qualify as a project, make a post with photos telling us about it.) In addition, like at least 20 posts in the current Nerd Games thread, and thoughtfully comment on at least one project.

Fall NG Pins

To claim your prizes:

Once you have completed the requirements, send the below submission form to LovelyMiss via private message by 11:59 pm (central) on Sunday, December 31, 2023.

Prizes will be sent after the season ends.

Pin Event Submission Form

I am claiming: (Celebration, Explorer, Care, Super Nerd)

I attest that I have completed the requirements for the Pin Event(s) I am claiming: Yes/No

My name and mailing address (as it should be formatted for sending, including country) are:

4 Likes

Nerd Games Anniversary Events

Junk Journal Challenge

Make a junk journal during the Fall 2023 Nerd Games season and you’ll be entered into a drawing to win an Amazon gift card! (Winner will be drawn after the season ends and gift card will be sent electronically. Winner must provide an email address for delivery.) Here is a tutorial if you’re looking for some ideas.

To enter the drawing, submit a junk journal as a project in the Fall 2023 Nerd Games thread, and send the link to the post of your completed journal to LovelyMiss, anytime by 11:59 pm (central) on Sunday, December 31, 2023.

Junk Journal Drawing Entry Form

Link to your completed junk journal post in the Fall 2023 Nerd Games Thread:

Nerd Games Crafty Crossword

Complete the Nerd Games Crafty Crossword anytime during the Fall season and get a small prize! PM LovelyMiss an image of your completed crossword using the form below by Sunday, December 31, 2023 @ 11:59 pm (central).

To submit your puzzle, do not post it publicly, PM it to LovelyMiss ONLY using the form below. You can complete it digitally or print/complete/and send an image. Whatever works best for you!

Nerd Game Crafty Crossword Claim Form

ATTACH AN IMAGE OF YOUR COMPLETED CROSSWORD. (Do NOT post your completed crossword puzzle in any public threads!)

Name and address as it should be formatted for mailing (including country):

5 Likes

Got my crossword in! Thanks @LovelyMiss for a fun game.

1 Like

Prompt: Historic Archeology (October Battle)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: More scrap notecards
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made some more quickie notecards using weird cardstock leftovers (one is actually two hinged together with washi) and some stickers/pens. They’ll include a written record of the ATCs I’m sending.
Project Photo:

8 Likes

Really trying to stay caught up this season. (Will come back and laugh ruefully at this come December.)
Prompt: The Detectorists (October)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Button magnets
Project Link: Fridge Magnets from Buttons (as in Pins)
Brief Description: The buttons I used for this project are metal.
Project Photo:

7 Likes

Every season I plan on staying on top of things, and by the middle of the first month I’m always behind. I hope you have more perseverance than me! Good luck!

6 Likes

I feel like I’m finally getting the hang of the different things on this site, so I’m going to try to jump in to the nerd games and actually do all the things more of the things this time around :blush:

Prompt: Blood and Treasure
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Inktober Days 1-3 mashup
Project Link: Inktober First 3 Days Mashup (includes a spider)
Brief Description: The paper I used for the drawing is flat, and I used multiple colours. I missed the first 3 days, so I decided to combine them into 1 drawing. Day 1’s theme was “dream,” day 2 was “spiders” (which is why I have blurred the photo), and day 3 was “path.” A road counts as a path, right?
Project Photo(s):

inktober 1-3

9 Likes

@megwell — Great cards! I really enjoy how you juxtaposition the phrase with the images in your cards. :slight_smile:

@LindyBlues — Great way to combine the first few prompts! :slight_smile: The spider is really well done, and I love the silvery web. :slight_smile: :spider_web:

4 Likes

I love the heads up and blurred photo. My bug/arachnid phobia is really bad, so I greatly appreciate it. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you @bluebird!

@storerboughtcreation, you’re welcome! When I first joined the site, I was looking around and saw a member who requested “no spiders” on an ATC swap. I figured it might be a phobia, so I decided to blur all spiders going forward, just in case. I can’t remember who the member was, but I suppose it may have been you.

Arachnid phobia was a bit of an inspiration for the “3-day mashup” drawing I made. It’s a woman dreaming. There are two dream “thought bubbles.” One of them is a spider, and then there are “dream dots” leading to another dream/thought bubble, which is a woman running away, saying “aaaa!” She’s running on a road. I hope this description includes you without causing undue stress. If the latter is the case, please let me know, and I will delete this text. Also, while I don’t mind spiders, centipedes completely freak me out, and even writing the word gives me the heebie-jeebies. So I completely understand not wanting to see something that gives you that feeling :heart:

Writing this also makes me wonder… perhaps I should include text description with my photos going forward.

5 Likes

Edited to add community post link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Descriptions like this are fine. Now, if you start describing hairy legs… :nauseated_face:

I don’t do any ATC stuff, so it wasn’t me. But even butterflies and ladybugs are terrifying. I’m totally cool with snakes and other reptiles/amphibians though. Go figure. :rofl:

2 Likes

I may be misremembering about the ATCs… I just saw “no spiders” somewhere when I was “creeping” the site, no pun intended (well, maybe just a little bit :joy:)

3 Likes

That’s very thoughtful of you. :slight_smile: I’m sure its a pretty common fear. I don’t care for creepy bugs, but its not a phobia. :slight_smile: Geekgirl is the one in the ATC swaps with ‘no spiders’ in her profile.

5 Likes

I agree! And, I’m glad it was brought up because I have a project that might be spider heavy! So, I’ll make sure to blur the photo and put the trigger warning.

6 Likes

Prompt: October - Battle - Prehistoric
Project Name: Mimsy
Project Link: Mimsy and Whimsy the dino sisters
Brief Description: Dinosaurs are prehistoric… as far as we know anyway. :wink:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Relic Hunter
Project Name: “straw” hat
Brief Description: This hat used wool I bought from a local crafty thrift shop, plus it was in a bazillion pieces (seriously, I had so many ends to weave in when I was done), because of dodo of a team mascot decided to chew on it. :roll_eyes: This hat took me FOREVER to make, and probably qualifies for a research project when paired with the tote.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - The Librarians
Project Name: Newsboy cap
Brief Description: I used a pattern to make this hat.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - The Detectorists
Project Name: “feather” head piece
Brief Description: This has a metal button embellishment on it, and I think it really makes the piece.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Blood and Treasure
Project Name: Dark brown hat
Brief Description: This is called a flat top hat. Or a golf cap. Or a scally cap. It has a few different names. But it’s flat
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Uncharted
Project Name: “straw” tote
Brief Description: I have worked in the backside loop (not the back loop of the stitch, but the loop hidden at the backside of the stitch) plenty of times, but I didn’t know you could do it with single crochet. I’ve always seen it done with hdc.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Whimsy
Brief Description: She’s not a small dinosaur
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: mustache
Brief Description: This was quick to whip up.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Carrot
Brief Description: This was quick to whip up. It fits inside the straw tote
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes