CLOSED - Nerd Games - Summer 2023

Prompt: June -Surrealism
Team: Sherlock
Project Name: Miniature copper pot
Project Link: Miniature copper pot
Brief Description: I sanded the bottom of this pot, as it was originally quite rounded, but it’s still a bit wonky. Acceptably wonky.
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

That is adorable!

1 Like

Prompt: July Battle - Reproduction
Team: Colombo
Project Name: C’s July Goal Sheet
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: Every month, a group of us come up with goals (though I think we may be going from a trio to a pair…) and I make little goal sheets for us to check off and keep us motivated… I say these are “reproductions” because the art on them are pieces of clipart I look up and try to recreate!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Cubism
Project Name: L’s July Goal Sheet
Brief Description: Every month, a group of us come up with goals (though I think we may be going from a trio to a pair…) and I make little goal sheets for us to check off and keep us motivated… SO. MANY. LITTLE. BOXES.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: M’s July Goal Sheet
Brief Description: Every month, a group of us come up with goals (though I think we may be going from a trio to a pair…) and I make little goal sheets for us to check off and keep us motivated…
Project Photo(s):

8 Likes

Prompt: July Battle- Reproduction
Team: Team Columbo
Project Name: Crochet Coozie (Frisbee)
Project Link: (coming as soon as I have internet access on my computer)
Brief Description: This is a (poor) reproduction of the free Lion Brand pattern (L0577) for a crocheted frisbee (they call it a Coozie). While I changed the yarn, and messed up somewhere along the way so the design is a bit wonky, it’s still an attempt at reproducing the pattern.

Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Anniversary post thingy
No particular order, etc., etc.

20200308_163043

20200604_171258

20200705_185403

20200822_171016

20210214_181900

20210215_203721

20210622_170048

20211220_151501

20221201_211348

11 Likes

Prompt: August - Battle - Broom
Team: Nancy Drew
Project Name: Mini T-Rex
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made this from a Wooble pattern. I went with broom for the battle because vacuuming up tiny pieces of yarn tends to clog our cordless vacuum.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Pop Art
Project Name: Yellow Monster
Project Link: Bedtime Defender Monsters
Brief Description: This monster has bright, flashy horns.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Realism
Project Name: Cactus Monster
Brief Description: This sort of looks like a real barrel cactus… except for, you know, having a face and stuff :laughing:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Impressionism
Project Name: Dino Monster
Brief Description: It has pastel colored spikes going down its back
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: July - Cubism
Project Name: Cat Bat Monster
Brief Description: This is pretty solid and made of of many pieces
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Water Monster
Brief Description: I am stretching this one a bit… This is supposed to be a water drop, and water is clear. So while the monster itself isn’t clear, what it represents IS, and therefore, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Bleach
Project Name: Raspberry Monster
Brief Description: I am stretching this one a bit as well… Raspberries smell good. And while this monster may not actually smell like a raspberry, it should! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Project Photo(s):

12 Likes

I love your prompt-stretching ways!!

2 Likes

The guy with the pink horns and the raspberry monster are my faves.

2 Likes

Prompt: Surrealism (July)
Team: Miss Marple
Project Name: Zetti ATC
Project Link: July ATCs for Swapping
Brief Description: By nature, Zetti is odd and fantastical.
Project Photo(s): photo by irid3sc3nt

Prompt: Realism (July)
Project Name: Balloon ATC
Brief Description: The lady is a person.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bleach (August)
Project Name: Flamingo ATC birthday card
Brief Description: The flamingo is pale pink. Also, a birthday card could technically be used in the laundry room if you wanted to keep it there.
Project Photo(s):

12 Likes

Prompt: August Battle -Vacuum-
Team: Sherlock Holmes
Project Name: Blue Snowflake Sugar Cookie
Brief Description: I started making little felted ornaments and SBC came up with the idea of making sugar cookies. I’m using this cookie for the battle and chose vacuum because I had to repeatedly move and adjust the lines, which really sucked
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August -Glass Cleaner-
Project Name: Beryl’s Pot
Brief Description: As you’ve all seen, SBC has been making the cutest little monsters to protect people from monsters under their beds. I’m also sure you’ve already seen Beryl, but I was asked to make the pot for her. This thing is HARD. I could probably knock one of my kids out with this thing if I swung hard enough.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August -Dish Soap-
Project Name: Christmas Spud
Brief Description: I began this project intending on making a reindeer. However, I was in a bad mood and all I could see was a potato. When I complained to SBC about it, she suggested I just go with it and make a potato, so I did and gave it a festive little Santa hat. I am stretching this because it is not a real potato, but you typically use potatoes in the kitchen.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August -Cleanser-
Project Name: Snowman Ornament
Brief Description: I’ve been making felted ornaments and this guy started it all. I used him for this prompt as snow can be powdery. Note: powdery snow is a TERRIBLE choice for making snowmen
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August -Bleach-
Project Name: Rudolph Ornament
Brief Description: Yet another felted ornament. Reindeer smell REALLY bad, which is why I used him for this prompt.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August -All-Purpose Cleaner-
Project Name: String of Lights Sugar Cookie
Brief Description: Yet another sugar cookie, definitely my favorite ornament type that I’ve been making. So many colors on this cookie!
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

I wholeheartedly endorse this prompt interpretation :laughing: :laughing:

6 Likes

Hey there! I’ve finally found some time in my crazy summer to jump in! :slight_smile: I haven’t done a ton of crafting, but I do a question. Does cooking & baking count as crafting? Because I do a ton of that! I love cooking and baking! Well, anyway, I’m going to join team Sherlock! To start, here is my Anniversary Post/Retrospective
I joined craftster in, I think, 2011. I’ve done just a TON of swaps and crafting for my lovely crafting friends! Though, my crafting time went down after having kiddos. My first was born in 2013, and she is about to turn 10 this year! So, bittersweet 10 years of crafting for me!

In no particular order, here are 10 of my most favorite projects I’ve ever made:

After my first was born, I got REALLY into painting shoes for toddlers. Pretty much just her birth month friends that I was in a group on Facebook with. I painted just an insane amount of shoes. It helped keep my sanity.

I made this outfit for my niece, for her first birthday outfit.

I made all these little peg people for my nephew. There were many many more.

I made these mermaid outfits for my girls for Halloween.

I made a teapot!!! I absolutely adore pottery, and try to join classes when I can!

I cross-stitch quite a bit, though I’m terrible at finishing projects. :wink:

Once a year I pretend to be a professional baker and make a dessert for auction at a big fund raiser dinner! I do love baking, though.

A cake I made for my sister for her 30th birthday. Also, the picture. I’m a photographer! I made the cake to go with a photoshoot I did with her for her birthday.

My oldest chose to be “fox in socks” for her Dr. Seuss dress-up day. So I made her ears, tail, socks & mittens. It was also, unbeknownst to everyone, the last day of in-person school for her when she was in kindergarten, thanks to covid. No one knew that they weren’t coming back to school that year when they left. Went out with a bang!

7 Likes

cooking/baking absolutely counts here! Pretty much if you can post it to a category within the main LC community, it flies here, too :grin:

Welcome back! :hearts:

2 Likes

Prompt: Realism (July)
Project Name: Blackberry Pie
Project Link:
Brief Description: I love making pies, and this pie is one of my favorites. It fits with the realism because it is very true to life and would be excellent to eat everyday, though I probably shouldn’t. :wink: Actually, this is probably the best blackberry pie I’ve ever made! It turned out just perfect and it was absolutely delicious! I made this at the beginning of July for my D&D friends who traveled across the US to visit! Here is the recipe I used for the filling and baking times:

And this is the pie crust recipe I ALWAYS use:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Cubism (July)
Project Name: Paella
Project Link:
Brief Description: I think its funny that this circular paella fits into the cubism prompt, but it does have many elements! I just started making paella a couple months ago, and had my FIRST paella in March. They are so delicious! This one has chicken, shrimp, and muscles! Its actually not as hard as I thought it would be to make, either! This is such an adaptable recipe, too. You can really add what you like!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Bleach (August)
Project Name: Pumpkin Scones
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these mini pumpkin scones Monday night for a tea party we had with my sister, niece (age 3), and my girls. They smelled SOOO good when they were baking! They have a delicious maple glaze. I recently started making scones, my first batch was blueberry lemon scones, earlier this summer. I’m definitely hooked! There is only one little scone left, and my husband and I will have to fight over it. I’m planning on making some savory scones this weekend.

Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Ooh, the scones in particular look delicious!

1 Like

Prompt: September broom
Project Name: Owl Hang on
Project Link: Lazy Girl Design Hang On
Brief Description: Owls are known Witch friends, and witches ride brooms.
Project Photo(s):

10 Likes

Prompt: August- Glass Cleaner
Project Name: Poison ATC
Project Link: Poison- a family ATC
Brief Description: The bottle on this ATC is transparent. It’s made of plastic.
Project Photo(s):

You can see some reflection here:

12 Likes

The use of that plastic poison bottle is ingenious and perfect for this card!

2 Likes

Prompt: July Zap
Project Name: Lacy Bats
Project Link:
Brief Description: I made these bats using my embroidery machine. I learned that a magnetic hoop is a bad choice when stitching a project with such dense stitching. The stabilizer shifted over the course of the stitch out and some of the bats didn’t come out right. I’ll be using two of these bats to complete another project.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: August - Cleanser
Project Name: Chalkboard Art
Project Link: Back to School Chalkboard
Brief Description: This back to school photo prop is a chalkboard written on with chalk, which creates it’s own fine powder when used. Also, sharpened chalk creates a ton of powdery chalkiness!
Project Photo(s):

11 Likes

Those bats are amazing! I’d love to try an embroidery machine someday.

2 Likes