Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Not sure if I’ll need to be someplace that day, but I’m interested!

2 Likes

Hey there @JoyfulClover! I would love to join you if I can. Unfortunately, I think 9.00am EST is 1.00am Sunday here, and I can try but I’m unlikely to be awake.

I seem to be set on really early hours atm, I’m normally wide awake before about 5am (even if I want to be asleep …), but crash at night, even if trying to stay up. Is there any chance early afternoon your time would suit you, 1.00pm onwards?

No worries if that doesn’t suit though, choose a time that works for you. I will drink lots of coffee and try to make it anyway :smile: (in my Star Trek pyjamas if need be)

1 Like

@jemimah Yes, that works for me! What time works best? 1, 2, or 3 EST?

Let’s do this thing!

1 Like

@JoyfulClover yesyes!! 2pm EST would be perfect - that’s 6.00am Sunday here which is a great time for me! thank you :smile_cat:

I really like your plan to use a video for some ideas and inspiration (Toni Burt’s are so beautiful), but take it in our own directions depending on what we feel like and what materials we have. I think I’m going to try painting an animal - maybe cardboard, charcoal, paint, and some gold and silver. Ooh, excited!

3 Likes

For your situational awareness: Tombow Mono liquid glue never stops being sticky to the touch. :confused: It says it has a removable bond, but when you do try to remove or adjust what you’ve glued, you get a nasty, tacky mess. Do any of you know of an instance or type of project where this would be a helpful quality? I made these stamps probably two months ago from stuff around the house, adhering them with this glue, and because the glue shows through they’re as sticky as ever, even with dust and lint.

(Stamps made with cardboard, pieces of anti-skid rug liners, and cotton yarn)

1 Like

Boom! 2pm EST on the 12th!. And I can’t wait to see your animal!

We will use this video as a frame:

MAYBE to be removable? I accidentally bought scotch tape that’s ‘wall safe’, which means there’s low to no stickiness. Such a waste. Why would someone buy these? What’s the purpose?

Those look like really cool textures!

1 Like

Unfortunately the removable aspect leaves two surfaces that stay sticky; there’s no cleaning up possible, in the case of paper crafting. Moral of the story: only use this glue if you’re 100% certain it won’t ooze out around the edges of what you’re gluing.

Hard pass, Calluna. Thank you for sharing so we’re all saved!

1 Like

If I can save one person from craft-related anguish, it is a good day. :laughing:

In other news, it looks like “gold foil flakes” are the product I was thinking of to use in the white-silver-gold project. And Golden has a gold mica flake medium, which looks fun to try, at some point. I’ll wait to make purchases until if/when I have a clearer idea of what I’m doing.

3 Likes

Inka gold might work to give a metallic sheen to your art

https://www.joann.com/viva-decor-inka-gold-50-grams/11597895.html

2 Likes

@calluna sorry about the glue but I love the design of those stamps!!! :smile:

1 Like

Sent the zoom invite to those who mentioned an interest. Let me know if I missed someone!

3 Likes

For anyone interested, there is a free 2 week taster art journaling course, beginning Sept 28th-Oct 11th featuring 30 artists exploring the relationship between creativity and self love. There’s a video from the owner of the site explaining more about it. Hope to see you there!

Willowing Taster Sessions

I would like to zoom tomorrow…I need some structured craft time! I have been a mess!

1 Like

Regarding the sticky residue - when I was mounting stamps to foam stamp base stuff, it was suggested that you sprinkle baby powder over the extra sticky foam base. That worked well for me…not sure if it will for the glue. Also, once paint builds up on the stamps - the ones you made - that should reduce the stickiness. I think. I hope so.

1 Like

Yay!

I invited you to the PM. I’ve never done it before, so not sure you can see the zoom info. Let me know!

1 Like

Thank you! Brilliant!

Thank you so much for organising the zoom session! I had a wonderful time painting with you all :smiley: :art:

2 Likes

Yeah, it was so great to see y’all and [try] to make some great art! I made some tweaks to mine and I’m very happy with it! I will post mine after drying!

We will def do it again!

2 Likes

My version of The Goose Girl, inspired by the title sequence of Anne with an E.

There is a cliff in the show Anne visits. Animals are featured in the opening representing her life stages - I’ve used a bird here, flying towards her future (where the series left). And the quotes are featured in the opening - one is directly from the author, L.M. Montgomery.

I didn’t use the flecks, but I’m happy with it. And the other Zoomers made some REALLY COOL pages as well. All different!

6 Likes