Quilt Block Gift Bags

I made these gift bags to hold Xmas gifts for my mom, grandma, and aunt. The quilt blocks were made in the 2022 (I think?) Quiltalong, with the intention of making a lap quilt. But my block sizes were all over the place and I ran out of coordinating fabrics, so in my frustration they sat for the last year. I finally decided to do something with them!

I used Magpie’s Fabric Gift Bag Tutorial for these because I love it. I don’t even look at the tute anymore. :grin:

I had intended to use stash for these, but I just couldn’t get my random assortment to work, so I picked up a yard of black fabric and 2 yards of natural fabric to get these done. I used…most of it, lol.

Individual shots:

And a bonus bag…this one was for the Santa’s Sack Swap and was born from my lack of Xmas fabric. Piecing this gave me the idea to use my abandoned quilt blocks.

Thanks for looking!

32 Likes

That’s a clever idea, and a great use for the blocks. I think it gives them focus, whereas in a quilt they would just be one of the blocks. Here each is a star.
The tree gift bag is very cool too!

4 Likes

The bags are wonderful gifts in and of themselves! Delightful!

3 Likes

I love these! It’s a great way to test out a block and still have a super cool use for it. They look precious!

2 Likes

These are beautiful, useful, and environmentally-friendly, too. I love bags like these; it’s like getting two gifts because the bag itself is a lovingly made gift :heart:.

3 Likes

Those are awesome! I love how they turned out!

2 Likes

These look fantastic, this is such a great idea!

You’ve really inspired me with this. I still have a few orphaned blocks from an unfinished quilt that I inherited from aunt years ago (and the quilt was years old, I would guess 1980s). At the time, I made cushions for my uncle, and a lap quilt for myself out of some of the blocks, but the remaining blocks have sat around in stash. They’re mainly red and green, with some applique leaves - they would make really lovely Christmas gift bags. Thanks for the inspiration!

6 Likes

These are so cool! I love an unconventional use project.

2 Likes

Great bags! That fabric with the circles is so very cool…

2 Likes

They are FABULOUS! So beautiful & what a great idea. stealing it

3 Likes

This is the next step in reusable fabric bags… reusable quilted fabric bags. They look lovely and a great way to use up those pieces.
I still have my fabric sitting on the dining room table for more reusable bags for next year. I’m hoping the ones I made this year will be used again by the recipients.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! :grin:

I hope you do steal the idea @jemimah and @Magpie!

I hope to turn as much of my stash as I can into reusable bags this year @irid3sc3nt!

3 Likes

These are fantastic! Love the trunk of the tree. :wink:

2 Likes

:mega: :star2: :mega: HOT DANG! Your super cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! CONGRATZ! :mega: :star2: :mega:

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

Same!

2 Likes

These are treasures. If I received on I would stuff it for a pillow. What a fun gift around a gift.

2 Likes

How did I miss these yesterday?!? They are amazing! Really beautiful work my friend!

2 Likes

These are fabulous, what a brilliant way to use up the orphans

2 Likes

I LOVE these! What a great and creative way to use up those quilt blocks and really dress up any gift.

2 Likes