CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2020/21

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description: This poor little dice bag has been sitting on my jewelry workstation since November, awaiting just laces and beads. While cleaning up my studio today, I finally finished it!
Project Picture:

2 Likes

I always love seeing your dice bags, they are so adorable.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: Every year I keep our Christmas cards for… something! And end up doing nothing with them, so this year I decided I really had to organise them, even if I only so as to remember the odd Christmas that was 2020! I cut diamonds from each of the cards and stuck them to a dark background. Quite pleased with reducing the pile of cards down to one sheet of card.
Project Picture:

Side one -

Side two -

Pile of leftover card parts ready for recycling -

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
Project Name & Page Link: n/a
Brief Description: All parts of these single colour twinchies were from stash - working in a single colour like this in unusual for me, so I enjoyed the different challenge they brought.
Project Picture:

1 Like

And just to share, not submitting against any classes, my recording of the 12 Trees challenge and Hermione’s Book Club this semester…

Each semester I record what I submit - my current notebook started with Summer 2015 and is almost full now, I have space for maybe another semester! I was really happy with how these two pages come out.

3 Likes

Yikes! Very Last Minute Lucius here! But I’m posting! Yay!! I’m posting crafts!! :heart:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Slytherin Owl
Brief Description:
I made this little Snowy Owl with a slytherin Scarf for the Harry Potter Swap.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Scrapbook Page
Brief Description:
I am very bad with doing scrapbook pages at the moment… my excuse is that this craft requires more than just wool and a crochet hook or knitting needles …

However, whenever I make a layout, I know it will cheer us all up, specially when I scrap about something that was nice during a bad time (outings for the girls with their friends during Covid for example).
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Snowflake
Brief Description:
I’ve made this little snowflake … is it white enough for the astralagus flowers? :wink:
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title:**Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: 2 Crewmates
Brief Description:
I’ve been resulting a lot to muggle crafts again during the Covid Hex. My go - to is crocheting. I made 2 crewmates for my twins (who started playing “Among Us” during October break).
Project Picture:
image image

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Covid Pumpkin
Brief Description:
Quite a lot of fine work involved in this year’s offering to Halloween! :grinning:
Project Picture:

@Abbeeroad - can I get one of my Advanced Studies cancelled please? That Drawloween is not going to happen anyime soon!! :slightly_frowning_face: I’m currently doing another SAL, so I would like to have that one instead for my second AS.

Thank you

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Name MrsWolf09
Project Name: Nerdy Cross Stitch SAL
**House:**Slytherin
Brief Description: The Nerdy Cross Stitch group on FB is doing an SAL where every month they’ll do a pattern for a letter to spell NERD (ok, that’s 4 months I suppose).

1 Like

Some major tech and timing issues have meant that I just now realized we’re at the end of term! I can’t wait to read back over the abundance of brilliant posts here.

This is my first term participating, and I’m so happy to have had this extra motivation to gather thread and graph paper and create gifts this year. This is a rushed post on a less than ideal device, so I apologize if the formatting is off! :blue_heart:🪄:books:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name & Page Link: Today We’re Gonna Do Our Best
Brief Description: Sunflowers feel like spots of solar light. This is the mantra of a lovely friend, who’s making their new home in a new city. Lettering from Stitchpoint Oxford with modifications to the N and O, for added drama.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name & Page Link: Picking A Bean!
Brief Description: I’m really happy with this one, because it’s the first embroidery I’ve done in over two decades, and, aside from the lettering, I designed it as I went. The paraphrased saying is from a soothing Joe Pera show, and I can’t speak for everyone, but cute dinosaurs and gentle encouragement to grow a bean arch had me giggling through my anxiety while stitching. (Lettering pattern from Stitchpoint Oxford
Project Picture:

Uploading: PSX_20210131_182652.jpg…

Project Name & Link: Fuzzy Cactus
Brief Description: A tiny, green cactus pincushion for a friend who can’t have live plants. Matching cup warmer and cat toy, because my cats/chaos testers wouldn’t stop helping with the project.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
Project Name & Page Link: Goodest Dog + Squirrel Nemesis Ornament
Brief Description: I thought this would be an easy little project, but trying to reimagine a photo into pixels was more challenging than I’d expected. I’m not sure I’m satisfied with how it came out, because the real dog is not an Actual Demon, but watching for places of light and shadow and trying to create some shading definitely involved keeping track of things!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Study of Ancient Runes
Project Name & Page Link: Soup!
Brief Description: I wanted to use a DMC pattern with a folk-craft feel, but my lettering came out to have an even number of stitches, while the border pattern needed an odd number. So, graph paper and a translation from the original pattern, to a whole bunch of resizing and reshaping, and then back into stitching.
lower lettering
the intended border
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Project Name & Page Link: Scrappy Binding
Brief Description:. I made a long, skinny, scrappy roll of binding for my next quilt project.

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name & Page Link: Christmas Cards
Brief Description: I made a couple batches of Christmas cards back in December to send some holiday cheer to others.

Class or Challenge Title: DADA
Project Name & Page Link: Calico Doll Dress
Brief Description: Definitely Red!

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Red Stripe Doll Dress
Brief Description: Lots of different types of delicate lines on this fabric that had been in my mother’s stash for as long as I can remember.

Project Name & Page Link: Doll Dress
Brief Description: Green!

Class or Challenge Title: History of Magic
Brief Description: I also made a batch of Christmas cards that will be traveling through the mail next year, when hopefully their journey will be less fraught than this years’ missives.

Class or Challenge Title: House Pride
Brief Description: Some bright yellow vintage fabric.

Class or Challenge Title: Muggle Studies
Project Name & Page Link: More Masks
Brief Description: Low Tech but effective muggle technology for helping slow the spread of disease.

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR
Project Name & Page Link: Quilt Top
Brief Description: I make the same quilt over and over using this pattern. But this time I was working with some fabrics from stash as well as new fabrics and the numbers didn’t quite match the original requirements from the pattern. This required some extra math to make sure I’d get the correct number of six inch squares for creating the disappearing nine-patch pattern. I ended up being off by one but it all worked out in the end.

Class: Transfiguration
Project: Quilt Backing
Description: Since my math was a little off for the fabric quantities above I had to substitute extra border fabric and some oops cuts from the Marvel focus fabric to get enough pieces to make the patchwork strip on the back. It’s not as scrappy as usual but I like how it turned out.

4 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Quilt Top
Brief Description: Working on my Advanced Studies quilt top I moved from a stack of blocks, to a stack of strips.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Reparo
Brief Description: I had a doll dress I’d gotten from Etsy that I didn’t really like the fit of, so I picket it apart and made one in my own style from the skirt.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash 1
Brief Description: Breaking into the vintage fabric stash #1

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash 2
Brief Description: More vintage fabric for stash dress #2

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash 3
Brief Description: Not vintage fabric for this doll dress, but definitely not new.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
SPEW: Made for the Prayer Shawl group at my mother’s church
Brief Description: Finished up a baby blanket started by my mother since she has finally decided that knitting is not the craft for her.

3 Likes

And one final project for the last day of term!

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash 2
House: Gryffindor
Project Name & Page Link: Quilted Cross Stitch Hanging
Brief Description: Got the hankering to do some new crafting today and since it is quite snowy and cold and I had no intention of going outdoors, this is surprisingly all from stash! I even found some quilting tools I didn’t even know I had.

4 Likes

Once again it’s project dump time.

Class/Challenge: Alchemy
Project Name: Smart Doll hat
Project Description: A hat with a brim to protect Mirai from the sun
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Arithmancy
Project Name: Pocket Letter
Project Description: I’ll be sending this Pocket Letter to my dear friend. :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Astronomy
Project Name: Not your grandma’s apron
Project Description: Bear with me on this one. When the Big Bad Wolf disguised himself as RR’s grandma, he no doubt put on her apron, or at least thought about it. :sweat_smile:
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: CoMC
Project Name: Blue Shrug
Project Description: I used long, thin needles to make this one. Really thin.
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: DADA
Project Name: Wrist Protectors
Project Description: These wrist protectors will help hide my pulse points from hungry vampires!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge:Flying
Project Name: Dolly Raincoat
Project Description: Because of the tiny buttons, I had to hand sew the velcro closure inside this coat and it was really hard to see while sewing through only 1 of the 2 layers.
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Herbology
Project Name: Ridley’s Shrug
Project Description: This green shrug was hand knit - a very soothing medium for me!

Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Muggle Studies
Project Name: Purple shrug
Project Description: Hand Knit - no magic involved!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Potions
Project Name: Nep nep!
Project Description: This mask is to help my son feel (and be) safe during this crazy pandemic
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Transfiguration
Project Name: SmartDoll knit hat
Project Description: I made a blue hat like this for my husband (HoM earlier this term), then switched yarn weight and needle size to make a dolly one.
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: House Pride
Project Name: Huff Hat
Project Description: This one has some of the black form the Huff crest, and is a warm and cosy thing, just the way we Huffs like it!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: House Unity
Project name: Ravenclaw Sweater
Project Description: A Ravenclaw inspired sweater for Cal!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Detention - Stash 1
Project Name: Dark Blue boot toppers
Project Description: From stash!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Detention - Stash 2
Project Name:Variegated toppers
Project Description: More from stash!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Detention - Stash 3
Project Name: Pink sweater from stash
Project Description: Moooore stash
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Hermione’s Book Club - Chapter 9 Writing on the Wall
Project Name: Pink Raincoat
Project Description: My heart and mind told me to make a tiny raincoat!
Project Pic:

Class/Challenge: Headmistress Challenge - January
Project Name: Varied blue shrug
Project Description: Something I wanted to make :slight_smile:
Project Pic:

2 Likes

Wow! Awesome last-minute projects!!

Updated on the project log for the Ostara term! Sounds like a fun project!

1 Like

This term of the Harry Potter Craftalong is now CLOSED! The new Ostara Term will open (and the winner of this term) will be announced shortly…

(As MistressJennie scurries to ready the house for the cleaners, who decided to come a day early! Be patient with me folks.)

All of your knitted items made my day!

I especially love the variegated boot toppers!

The Ostara Term of the HPC is now open!

:zap::heart::tada::sparkles::yellow_heart::woman_mage: End of Term Feast :mage::green_heart::sparkles::tada::blue_heart::zap:

Welcome to the End of Term Feast! I have checked the school hour glasses, and the points stand thusly…

hourglasses

:blue_heart: Ravenclaw: 3 students, 195 points , for an average of 65 points per student. :blue_heart:
:green_heart: Slytherin: 5 students, 1070 points , for an average of 214 points per student. :green_heart:
:yellow_heart: Hufflepuff: 7 students, 2335 points , for an average of 333.57 points per student. :yellow_heart:
:heart: :trophy: Gryffindor: 4 students, 1555 points , for an average of 388.75 points per student. :trophy: :heart:

:lion: Congratulations to Gryffindor House! :lion:

4 Likes

:tada: Congrats Gryffindor! :tada: Y’all made some amazing projects this semester.

2 Likes

Woohoo!! :lion: :heart: :trophy:

2 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS GRYFFINDORS!!! Great job. And Great job to the rest as well :smiley:

Congratulations Gryffindors :trophy: