~ Craft Prompts Crescent ~
Alchemy: Continuing with our study of the classical planets, we are looking towards Mars this term. Mars is linked to the metal Iron, which was considered such an important discovery, a whole age of muggle time was named after it. Please create something linked to Mars, known as the “red planet”, and carries the name of the Roman god of war. Or incorporate Iron in to the item in some way, by using the colour grey or a grey metal.
Apparition: Students, We have had a number of complaints from Madam Malkin about the number of students who are apparating inside her shop. This is very disruptive and noisy. To help you remember correct etiquette of apparating, craft something that has an inside & outside, or craft something related to robes, think long and flowing, you could also be inspired by the colour of your own robes.
Arithmancy: Bridget Wenlock, a famous 13th century witch and Arithmancer first wrote her theorem on the magical properties of the number seven on the back of an envelope, using invisible ink. Please make something inspired by the number seven. Alternatively, craft something with clear or hidden elements.
Astronomy: This term we’re looking at the International Space Station (ISS). Please craft something that is inspired by the USA, Europe, Canada, Japan or Russia. Or craft something that is “modular”; this can be a single craft with multiple pieces such as nesting bowls, or one (finished) component of a larger project, such as a single quilt block for on ongoing quilt top.
Care of Magical Creatures: The Thestral is a breed of winged horse with a skeletal body, reptilian features, and bat-like wings. They are known, wrongly, as omens of misfortune, and are only visible to those who have witnessed death. Create something that brings joy and happiness, to fight off misfortune and the sadness. This can be an art journal page, a yummy recipe, or even a present for a friend.
Charms: This term we are looking at the beguiling area of Entrancing Enchantments As you know they can be used to draw people closer to you, this can be combined with the Muggle festival of Valentines day. For homework explore items related to entrancement, this could be delicious food to draw people into the kitchen, perfumes or perfumed items, alternatively focus on Valentines day and perform a charm related to a card, hearts or the colour red.
Defense Against the Dark Arts (DADA): As you know Katie Bell was cursed by contact with an Opal Necklace. Opals come in a range of colours, but they all have a shifting pattern of colour and often fire. For homework craft something that shines or moves, Alternatively make an item of jewellery.
Divination: This term we will be borrowing some “magical” creatures from Hagrid to aid us in our divination practices. We will utilizing the technique of Ailuromancy, or the study of cat’s movements and jumps to predict future events. This method of divining is particularly useful in predicting weather. For your home work please craft something inspired by cats, or for a cat. You may alternately craft something to help protect you from the weather (i.e. - a rain hat or a parasol).
Flying: With Spring in the air our flying sessions will be accompanied by the sound of bird songs. While we fly, we might as well take the time to enjoy some music of our own. For your homework this semester please craft something inspired by one of your favorite songs. Be sure to indicate what the song is and how it sparked your crafting spirit when you turn in your assignment.
Herbology: Spring flowers are a big part of Ostara celebrations. This term, please craft something inspired by a Spring flower, whether in colour, scent, texture, or some other aspect. Make sure to include what inspired you in your description. Alternatively, as Ostara is all about new growth, craft something in a new-to-you medium.
History of Magic (HoM): History of Magic is one subjects where the practical use of magic is not required, rather, students must study from books to pass their O.W.L.s. Please spend researching a new skill, then demonstrate what you have learned, even in a small way. You could read a crochet book to learn a new stitch, then creating a test swatch of it; or watching a video tutorial on a quilting technique, then making a new quilt block.; or participating in an online art journal class, and show off a completed art journal page. Please be sure to provide links to to your source materials for house points.
Muggle Studies: Although Muggles have some really amazing inventions to accomplish what might otherwise be done by magic, many also like to conserve the resources used to power these inventions. This term, please craft something by hand, or craft something that is in some way connected with conserving power resources. Examples include using hand tools to build something, hand sewing an item, and making a bicycle basket or pannier.
Note to all students: our potions ingredients are in total disarray and we even have run out of some of them. For your homework this term I would like you to craft something to organise or track stock of anything in your household. Alternately, you may make the best of dwindling supplies, by crafting solely from what you have on hand.
Study of Ancient Runes (SoAR): In the Study of Ancient Runes, pictographs of animals are used to represent numbers, and representing the number 6 is the salamander. The maximum hours of the creature’s ability to survive out of fire and the amount of legs most said creatures have contributes to its representation of the digit. For your assignment, please complete a task which includes 6 components. For example: 6 ingredients in a recipe or 6 colours in a design. Alternatively, craft something inspired by an amphibian.
Transfiguration: This term we will be turning cats into tea cozies. To practice please craft something related to tea time. Make yummy tea biscuits, crochet a tea cozy, or sew up a tea wallet.
House Pride Challenge: Please craft something by your chosen Hogwarts House.
House Unity Challenge: Please craft something inspired by another Hogwarts House, or by all of the Houses/School combined.
~ Detention Challenges ~
Advanced Studies Challenge: Put in 2 hours on an ongoing Advanced Studies project, and be prepared to show before & after progress shots.
Reparo Challenge: Repair something, alter something to suit you, or complete a large organization project.
Stash Challenge: Craft something solely from your stash. For this term only, you may complete this prompt 3 times!
WIP Challenge: Complete a Work In Progress.
~ Headmistress Prompts ~
Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes Challenge Series
March 1st - April 30th
1. Boxing Telescope: Poor Hermione got punched in the eye by the prototype to this WWW creation. Please craft something with a punch! A punch of color, a punch of spice in an awesome chili recipe, etc.
2. Dungbombs: Take something lousy, and turn it into something great. This could be upcycling something that would otherwise be thrown out, or doing using up tiny fabric scraps.
3. Love Potion: Craft something with a beloved supply you’ve hoarded, or craft something you’re obsessed with making lately.
4. Otter’s Fizzy Orange Drink: Your Headmistress & Ant Bee have been trying to recreate this magical recipe for ages now. Please recreate something you’ve seen somewhere that you just had to make , or cook/bake something scrummy!
5. Patented Daydream Charm: Craft something you’ve been dreaming about making for a while now.
6. Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder: Craft something that uses black, or a very dark color, as the dominant color in a project.
7. Portable Swamp: Fred & George placed a swamp in the hallway before leaving Hogwarts, and when Prof. Flitwick cleaned it up, he left a small section roped off because “it was a good bit of magic” . Craft something in a medium you are known for, your legacy as it were, or something that’s just a bit of pure fun.
8. Pygmy Puff: Craft something very cute, or very soft!
9. Screaming Yo-Yo: Craft one of two patterns or ideas you’ve been trying to decide between, or craft something with an alternating design pattern like stripes or chevrons.
10. Ten-Second Pimple Vanisher: Create something to be used on the skin, or do something like visible mending to make something unsightly disappear. Alternately you can make a supply that’s been lingering in your stash ‘vanish’.
11. Ton-Tongue Toffee: Dudley ended up with more than he bargianed for with a WWW toffee. Please use up a TON of something in a project. A ton of scraps, a ton of yarn in your stash, etc.
12. Trick Wands: Craft something there is a trick to, and share the trick with the group. This could be a hidden element as the ‘trick’, or it could be a special technique like an easier way to assemble something that’s normally difficult.
13. Wildfire Wizz-bang Fireworks: Craft something with bright colors on a dark background, or something that includes an element of sparkle, glitter, or shimmer.
~ Iron Chef Ostara Cook the Rainbow Challenge ~
April: BLUE/PURPLE. Blueberries, eggplant, cabbage! Try using BLUE or PURPLE foods in your dishes this month. Maybe a blueberry tart, garlic parmesan baked eggplant, or even a maple blackberry mojito…
~ Hermione’s Book Club ~
Chapter 15: Aragog April 19th-May 2nd
Harry and Ron follow the spiders to the Forbidden Forest, where they encounter an aging Aragog, who reveals that Hagrid is innocent of opening the Chamber of Secrets. When Harry asks about the monster that killed the girl in 1943, Aragog states it is an ancient creature that spiders fear, never speak of it, but does mention that the dead girl was found in a bathroom. Harry and Ron thank him and try to leave, but Aragog halts them, deciding let his children eat them. Mr Weasley’s Ford Anglia comes to their rescue. Recalling Aragog’s statements of the dead girl in the bathroom Harry later deduces that Moaning Myrtle might have been that victim.
For this challenge please conquer a crafty fear. Alternately you may craft 8 of something, or craft something for use in the bathroom like a wash cloth or a bath bomb.