Mask-Along

Found out yesterday that one of my new co-leaders in Scouts is hard of hearing and lip reads so now I’m on the hunt for DIYing some sort of see-thru mask. Anyone got any tips/suggestions on how to go about it?

1 Like

@Magpie actually made one of those!

1 Like

My mother, who wears a hearing aid and has severe hearing loss, realized that even with her hearing aids, she was doing a lot of lip reading. The wearing of masks has really impaired her understanding of speech in conversations.
And a friend who teaches deaf kids is really struggling with online learning, and mask-wearing to communicate to her students (depending on the venue). She has tested lots of different masks/shields and really, it depends on the person for workability. Sorry, no suggestions at this time.

ON a different note. My holiday mask offerings for our church’s virtual fund-raising holiday fair is going well. The fair committee did an amazing job with the website and orders are rolling in!

3 Likes

I sent some masks to my brother and nephew over the weekend…

3 Likes

So cute, I love how we are brightening up the mask hordes!

Just a few holiday masks. I decided to try a larger size for myself - the rare time that I am saying more than, “I’m well, how are you?” and “Thank you. Enjoy your day” while wearing a mask (i.e. my twice weekly grocery trip, etc.) my mask doesn’t sit as well on my face. It seemed like something that I’ll probably only wear for a month would be a good trial option.

I also switched out the liner with flannel to see if it will be easier on my poor nose skin!

Then I made a couple for my slightly older neighbor-friend who works at an antique mall.

All stash!

5 Likes

Love them! Especially the skully wreathes. What an odd and wonderful print. The vintage snowmen on bicycles is pretty epic too.

Fantastic festive fabrics!

1 Like

I love those snowmen on candy cane wheeled bicycles! How often do you see fabric like that?

Doing a food exchange with family in about an hour - made everybody some winter masks with 3 layers of cotton instead of 2. I needed some cheerful colors.

5 Likes

Those masks will definitely fight of some winter duldrums!

I really loved that snowman fabric and have used all but probably a square foot of it. I have made a dozen napkins, a few gift bags, and I don’t remember all what!

Just made 36 of these asks for our online Holiday Fair fund raiser for church. I offered up to 6 of each of these. Whew. There might be more last minute orders, but I feel pretty good about the amount sold.

4 Likes

@marionberries I love all the COLOR in your masks.

I took advantage of Spoonflower’s recent sale and bought Krampus fabric for my three boys. I also used a bit of Game of Thrones fabric to make one Krampus mask reversible. As you can see, each kid has his own mask pattern and ear loop preference. It would be easier to use the same pattern for all, but I am just happy that they wear them diligently without complaint.

8 Likes

I love your masks! They turned out really great.

1 Like

Qoh, your Krampus fabric is cool! I didn’t see that one on Spoonflower!

1 Like

Here are a few more masks
These were for me, except I’m currently in quarantine because a co-worker tested positive… So they have not been worn. Test results came back negative for me and my husband, but I still have to self isolate until at least 12/17, or whenever my husband’s symptoms go away…:

These recently went to my mom:

3 Likes

Oh my goodness, the candy cane skull and gingerbread men are AWESOME!

Best of luck with your self isolation. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

My school returned to in-person learning today! Woot woot! I’m celebrating by wearing my new Christmas deer mask. Later in the week I will wear it with the tree side out.:deer::evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

Nice!

My son’s school just did the opposite! Virtual for the foreseeable…

That stinks. I’m so sorry.