CLOSED - Nerd Games - Winter 2024

She’s magnificent! I want to put her in my pocket and show her the world!

2 Likes

Prompt: January -astrologer
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Emoji Love- a family ATC
Project Link: Emoji Love- a family ATC
Brief Description: At 2.5 x 3.5 inches, ATCs are small pieces of art.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

I love that little turtle @storerboughtcreation!

@Bunny1kenobi, I really like the highlights that you added to the eye and the heart. Cute card!

4 Likes

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Floral Cat Purse
Project Link: Floral Cat Purse
Brief Description: This was almost a research project. It was just a few hours shy. I haven’t sewn a purse in so long!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Battle - January - Hare
Project Name: Bowl Cozies for Mom & Dad
Project Link: It’s a couple of bowl cozies, so… yeah.
Brief Description: When I first heard about bowl cozies I made a few for myself and my parents, but the pattern wasn’t very good. It was too small to really hold a bowl. After a few tries I found a pattern that I love and use exclusively now. But my parents still had the old ones. Last night I saw my Dad using a washcloth to hold his bowl and remembered I wanted to make them new ones. So, as soon as I got home I whipped up two of them quick as a bunny for them. Hence, Hare.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: The Miser (January)
Project Name: Dino ATC
Project Link: I added this to my ongoing Pick-3 ATCs post, if that counts.
Brief Description: The base for this card is an item I received in a swap probably over a year ago and finally used.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

@AudiobookLover i need a flag like that one. Almost EXACTLY like that one……

@storerboughtcreation the turtle is so little and cute. Love it!

@gozer I love that purse SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! Perfection in an accessory and absolutely perfect for you!

3 Likes

Prompt: Battle Hare
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: Moss Stitch Hat
Brief Description- I crocheted this while my husband was in his chiropractor apt. this stitch works so quickly
picture-

Prompt: Free Range 1
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: Apple Dutch Baby
Brief Description- An attempt at a new (to me) dessert. It was delicious but I think I should have used a larger pan as it took a very long time to cook and was still quite “wet”
picture-

4 Likes

@megwell - I love the idea of using old calendar pages as envelopes. I have an old Care Bear calendar and a few old sloth calendars that would be really fun to use in this way! Your T-Rex ATC is cute. And the project link definitely counts if you add your projects to it. So don’t forget to link any of those in the future for those bonus points! :smiley:

@gozer - I love bowl cozies. I have four from bunny1kenobi. I bet your parents and neighbors will get a lot of use from those cozies with the current cold spells we’ve been getting across the US. HOLY MOLY, that cat purse is AMAZEBALLS! It looks professionally made. Well done! :hearts:

@AudiobookLover - That pin display is great! It’s so colorful :hearts:

@Bunny1kenobi - How many family ATCs have you made at this point? I love that you are able to recreate all of these fun memories for your loved ones :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@ezrib - That hat looks so soft! What yarn did you use for it? It is as silky feeling as it looks? And your apple dutch baby looks delicious. I’ve never tried one, either to make or eat. But it sounds perfect on a cold evening. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

thanks, it is quite nice. the yarn was a gift, but here is the label

4 Likes

@storerboughtcreation i have made 56 family ATCs so far!

6 Likes

Running home to make bowl cozies for your parents, @gozer- you’re such a thoughtful daughter!

3 Likes

T-REX!!! That’s an awesome stamp! Glad you made it into art!

3 Likes

@ezrib how do you people crochet SO FAST!!!?? I’m all thumbs over here….

Dutch babies are delicious! Yours looks really tasty.

4 Likes

Prompt: January - The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
Team: :yarn:
Project Name: Hat for my FIL
Project Link: Fisherman’s hat
Brief Description: I made this for my FIL. For more details and link to the pattern I used, you can find that info in the project link :blush:
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I really like the pattern you used for this.

2 Likes

Prompt: January Battle - Tortoise
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Chili
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I’m getting over my holiday crafting hangover, so prepare to see a lot of food and nothing else. :upside_down_face: :smile: Here is some chili. I chose tortoise because I let it cook for hours.

Project Photo(s):

chili 24 - Copy

Prompt: January - The Astrologer
Project Name: French Omelettes
Brief Description: I got some Boursin cheese and decided to attempt a French omelette. Then I kinda got hooked on them and continue to try to get the technique down. Here’s a picture of a bunch of attempts, though there are a handful more not pictured. They’re yellow.

Project Photo(s):

french omelette attempts - Copy

Prompt: January - The Two Pots
Project Name: Cake loafs
Brief Description: I wanted cake. So I made some cake. I decided to use my mini loaf pan for easier storage of said cake. That was a mistake. Though I only filled them half way, they really expanded. The cake was fine tasting, though, lol. Also yellow, but I went with this prompt because they were very delicate and crumbly.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - The Peacock
Project Name: New Years foods
Brief Description: I made some treats for New Years Day. Some jewel toned foods including punch, veggies with homemade dip, and bacon wrapped little smokies in a homemade sauce (with some obviously not wrapped ones because I ran out of bacon, haha).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
Project Name: Lard
Brief Description: I used a lot of lard for the xmas eve oil fondue, so I had to restock. I get leaf fat from the CSA farm we’re members of and then render it. It takes hours, but that’s mostly waiting, so I’m submitting it as a normal prompt. I still packaged it in jars this time, but I read that cheese cloth as a lid can help avoid rancidity-causing moisture, so I’m giving that a try. It’s white!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: January - The Miser
Project Name: Tacos
Brief Description: And speaking of that lard, it’s very much the “good stuff” (like liquid gold but not liquid) in the kitchen. I’ve tried to stop cooking with so many oils because PUFAs seem to worsen my chronic health stuff, and have replaced most cooking oils with small amounts of lard, but I’m VERY picky what I’ll sacrifice it to make. Lard has gotten a bad wrap over the years, but is actually pretty amazing. Anyway, upon request I used some to fry up a batch tacos. They’re always a special treat and crowd pleaser.

Project Photo(s):

I’ll definitely have at least a few not food things next month. :laughing:

4 Likes

Those tacos are making me drool. They look delicious! :drooling_face:

I love Boursin cheese. I’ve never cooked with it. It never lasts long enough :rofl: I remember when my sister tried it for the first time. She ate the whole thing and had to buy us more because she liked it so much. It is so yummy, and I bet it’s delicious in omelets.

2 Likes

Prompt: January - The Peacock
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Monkey’s birthday bow tie
Project Link:
Brief Description: January 29 is Monkey’s birthday. He will be four years old. I made him a bow tie. I think I may be murdered in my sleep tonight.

My floofy baby is super vain. He looks at his reflection every single day. He doesn’t like to be interrupted. Hence, peacock
Project Photo(s):

7 Likes

Prompt: January Battle: Tortoise
Project Name: Hot Soup for an Icy Day
Project Link: Cauliflower Potato Soup with Savoury Cashew Cream
Brief Description: This qualifies as a tortoise because I made it slowly and it took many steps, but slow and steady won the race.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Libraries are worth all of this
Project Link: Paperback book from beginning to end (writing, photography, publishing, printing, and binding!)
Brief Description: I created this book from beginning to end. I took all the photographs that appeared in it, wrote the words, placed the previously taken photographs, printed it all at home, and handbound it. I made 8 so far and am hoping to finish at least 2 more… at some point. I gifted them to my coworkers in the programming department at the library (programming as in library programs, not coding). I was just hired in December as a Relief Programming Assistant, a casual position. I couldn’t be happier.
Project Photo(s):

To libraries, with love FRONT COVER

To libraries, with love INSIDE COVER

To libraries, with love CONTENT PAGE 1

To libraries, with love CONTENT PAGE 2

To libraries, with love BACK COVER

Prompt: The astrologer
Project Name: The Procrastinating paper hoarder’s solution. No gift bags? But lots of paper! There you go.
Project Link: Paper gift bags for birthday party favours
Brief Description: As usual, I procrastinated until the last minute for something… so I made these gift bags to use “right now,” as in… I was still making them when my daughter’s guests arrived. Lucky for me, teens don’t care what the parents are doing during a get-together anyway, lol.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: The Miser
Project Name: Mega Paper Destash… finally in action
Project Link: Birthday card for my 14-year-old--where does the time go?
Brief Description: Last year, I did a mega paper destash, but the destash was only half complete, because I just made stuff to use later. So I was still saving the paper. This is one of the pre-folded cards I was saving for just such an occasion. It started as just a red piece of folded paper, and I made the card for my daughter with it. I added the emojis on my phone to hide her name.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes