CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

A new Hermione’s Book Club Challenge has been posted…

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef - Blueberries
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Blueberry Cornmeal Olive Oil Cake
Brief Description: I went through heck trying to get these blueberries yesterday. When I scanned them at the self-checkout, the computer told me to ‘Put item aside’. The sweet attendant said that the computers weren’t recognizing blueberries, and ran over to produce to get another one. That didn’t work, so she tried taking a pic on her phone of the sku # on the signs. That one was blurry. She ran over a third time, and got a clean shot, and the computer accepted it. But by then a manager had come over to try to help, and noticed that while it did scan, it was overcharging me by $1. She didn’t want to sell them to me over priced. LOL. I finally assured her that I was fine with the non-sale price, and she reluctantly let me pay an extra dollar to leave the store with my precious berries.

Thank goodness, because this cake was worth it! Lightly sweet, rather than a huge sugar rush. If you try it, be sure to use a deep cake pan like a spring form, or a deep pie plate. The original 9" cake tin I tried to use was wayyyyy to short, and I had to pour it out into a glass pie plate. Hence the blueberries being on the bottom instead of the middle, where they should be. Didn’t matter, the cake was lovely.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

Hey @imera! Your Piexinhos da horta sounds delicious, but please remember when submitting cooking projects, you must provide a full recipe (complete with actual amounts & cooking times) OR a link to a complete recipe.

~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Scrappy Quilt Top
House: Hufflepuff
Brief Description: I am going to practice my apparation skills by relocating tons of scraps from a huge pile into a magnificent formation in a scrappy quilt. This advanced studies will focus on creating the quilt top. I hope to have the quilt top done within a couple of months.

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
Project Name & Page Link: Doll Dress
Brief Description: I don’t differentiate between colors all that well. Someone else might have a specific name for this shade but to me it is just a cheery bright blue (it’s a little more vibrant in person than in the picture).

Class or Challenge Title: Herbology
Project Name & Page Link: Planner Spread
Brief Description: I am attempting to turn over a new leaf as far as housecleaning goes (just started a modified version of the Fly Lady system - not too sure how I feel about it yet but it at least provides structure), and decided to commemorate the effort in my planner with this themed kit. (Also memorable because this was my first time successfully getting my Silhouette to work on a printable. Huzzah!). The colors are very soothing and there’s a bit of green in the kit to go with the general blue and white color scheme.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Match 1 - Barnton Quidditch
Brief Description: As demonstrated by the picture for the CoMC prompt, my smallest standard doll dress is less than 4 inches square. I can make smaller, but it’s not any fun.

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch Match 2 - Falmouth Falcons
Brief Description: Dark Colors

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
Project Name & Page Link: https://blog.dogundermydesk.com/2010/11/little-dog-harness-tutorial/
Brief Description: We are adopting our first puppy. We are already so in love with it. To celebrate I made a cutie patootie harness. It has a D ring to attach the leash.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention:Stash
Project Name & Page Link: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/sew-a-dog-coat-pattern-2977690
Brief Description: I made this dog coat for chilly day walks. It has a top waterproof layer and polartec lining. It should provide excellent protection for my new puppy. Everything was made from my stash.

@plaidpineapple That harness is so cute! I hope you’ll share an action shot. We all need more puppy pictures in our life.

I’m making pretty good progress on my advanced studies quilt (and hope to have something to share this Friday) but I need a mid-to-long term knitting project to work on during interminable Zoom meetings. To that end I would like to propose a 2nd Advanced Studies project!

Project Name: Yellow Gradient Socks
Brief Description: Make a pair of socks using the Aava pattern. I hope to have them completed by August, but I’m not holding my breath.

~ COMPLETED ADVANCED STUDIES ~
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Klaziena Shawl
Brief Description: It’s finally done! I’ve been working on this one since Christmas Eve, and I’m so glad it’s done.
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Class/Challenge: Defense Against the Dark Arts
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Blue Masks
Brief Description: For DADA, I made some masks to help a family member. I used a mixture of 2 patterns: A.B. Mask & A.B. Mask 2.0.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge: Quidditch Round 1, #8: Chudley Cannons
Project Name: Dumpling Kitty
Brief Description: I love making things out of yarn, so for this round, I crocheted a dumpling kitty. :slight_smile:
Project Picture:

(pattern)

3 Likes

That dumpling kitty is so cute!!

Headmistress, that shawl is stunning!!!

Gaudiknight, I totally hear you on the zoom meetings lol. I’m making a baby blanket!

2 Likes

Mistress Jennnie, I have to try that cake! It looks and sounds soooo good! (And I’m not even a huge cake person.) And oh my goodness, is that shawl ever gorgeous!!

Trillian, your dolly dresses are always so charming! And your Happy Planner spreads are such an inspiration!

PlaidPineapple, the puppy parkas are adorable! What great fabrics! Enjoy your new baby!!

Jellybean, awesome job on the masks! Your dumpling kitty is darling!! I love his happy little face! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that shawl is beautiful!

Advanced Studies Friday Update!

Class/Challenge: Advanced Studies Challenge 2nd time
Project Name and Link: Working away on the Annie’s Crochet Sampler
Description: Here are 9 of the blocks I’ve done this week. It definitely was more than 2 hours of work but it is totally relaxing and satisfying.

1 Like

Yay! Advanced Studies Friday, indeed. You guys have been busy!

@plaidpineapple and @MistressJennie - Congratulations on completing your AS projects! You have each earned 100 points for your house! :tada: :tada:

@Audania, @plaidpineapple, @Trillian - your AS proposals have been added to the project log! Happy crafting!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Start of the Monster Nine-Patch
Brief Description: I took some time to make up the nine-patches that will then be cut apart to make the blocks for my next quilt-top.

Before

After

6 Likes

**~ ADVANCED STUDIES PROPOSAL ~
Project Name: Bedding for my nieces
Brief Description:
Bedding for my nieces
3 twin quilts, pillow shams, and cases, using cotton for the top, faux fur for the back, possibly minky sheets as well.

1 Like

Hey @Teachergirl! That sounds like a great Advanced Studies project. :smile:
In future if possible, try to use the header we have in the Advanced Studies Post. The bolded text, and House Info make it easier on Abbeeroad & I, when we’re scrolling through the Craftalong, to see these proposal posts, and update the list quickly & easily. Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a copy of the header:
Project Name:
House:
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques used, materials using, plan of action, expected timeline, etc.)

1 Like

First of all, sorry for the lack of recipe earlier, I winged it all but next time I do I’ll try to add more info.

Class or Challenge Title: Iron Chef: Blueberry
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link: Blueberry mousse cakes
Brief Description: I’ve wanted to make these blueberry mouse cakes for a while, and over the weekend I had time to do it.
I loved the mousse taste, and the combination with the sponge cake, but the mirror glaze, as fun as it was to try it for once, didn’t help the cake at all, so it would be way better without it.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

@imera - those look delicious! And the presentation on a green plate is perfect.