CLOSED: Nerd Games - Fall 2022

These are adorable!!!

2 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Festive Polar Bear
Project Link: Festive Polar Bear
Brief Description: This little bear took me all weekend but I love it!
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

Its awesome!

3 Likes

Okay… I’m committing to the prompts! I’ve done a bit of “how can I get this all done?” shuffling of projects. But, I think I have everything locked in :laughing:

Prompt: October- Toe of Frog
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Sloth Sleep Mask
Project Link: Sloth Sleep Mask

Brief Description: Lately, I find that I need to take an afternoon nap. And, since it’s sometimes still daylight when I do, I figured a sleep mask would be just the ticket. However, in true sloth fashion, it took me at least 3 years to get this done. :slight_smile: I used a free mask pattern for the shape of the mask, and I resized a quilt block from Wendi Gratz of Shiny Happy World for the sloth features. I used buttons for the eyes because this was originally for a prompt that required the use of buttons. And, it fits this prompt because the Dread Pirate Roberts (true love of Buttercup) wears a mask. :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Homonyms
Project Name: Flower Pencils
Project Link: Flower Pencils

Brief Description: Since my students borrow pencils and never return them, I figured I’d give this a try. And, when I tell kids to “borrow a flower,” they are confused until the walk up to the flower pot and “pick” a flower :slight_smile: Until then, they thought I just had a flower arrangement on my desk :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Pudding
Project Name: Santa Gnome
Project Link: Santa Gnome

Brief Description: Last year, a friend and I took a class at a local pottery studio and made sets of pottery trees. This year, we each made a Santa gnome! It stands about 12" tall. We were hoping to each make a smaller one, as well, but we ran out of time. During the class, I made the form, and after the class was over, they were fired and then the instructor added the glazes (and fired them again).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: November- Eraser
Project Name: Microwave Mug Cozy
Project Link: Microwave Mug Cozy

Brief Description: This is made in the same way as a microwave bowl cozy, but I mis-marked the darts, so I had to tear out one whole set, re-mark them all, and then re-stitch it! But, it’s the perfect size for my mugs (the mug pictured is a larger-than-standard-sized mug).

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

How kind of you to make a sloth sleep mask for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I LOVE it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

LOL! I did think of you when I was making it. Give me another 3 years, and I could make another one! :laughing:

2 Likes

Out of all of the things I had on tonight’s to-do list, this was the only thing I got done…

Prompt: October- Tongue of Dog
Project Name: Sea Salt Caramel Dark Chocolate Brownies
Project Link: n/a

Brief Description: Instead of exchanging gifts among the teachers on my team, we opted for a pot luck lunch, which is tomorrow (although we only have 20 minutes to eat it). I volunteered to make brownies! I’ve meant to make these for the last 2 or 3 events (2 baby showers and a cookout), but they never materialized (I bought grocery store bakery made brownies, instead). I wasn’t sure when the caramel should be applied, so I drizzled some on before baking (along with the sea salt), and then drizzled some on after (while still hot), along with just a pinch more salt. Probably should have waited until they cooled. I hope they’re not too salty… :laughing:

Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

When scrolling doen i saw this and thought it was a shadow box. Took me a second. Lol

5 Likes

@roler, your creatures are adorable and amazing as always. I’m especially partial to the polar bear (his sweater!) and penguin (that candy cane!)

@craftADDchick, a mug cozy is such a great idea. My hands get cold really easily, so I bet it would be great for cold drinks, too. And those brownies look delicious. Sounds like they would tick a lot of boxes for me.

Now that’s my kind of shadow box!

6 Likes

So how did the brownies taste? They look delicious. You’re lucky we can’t reach through our computer/phone screens and nab those :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :drooling_face:

2 Likes

They were delicious! I was hoping to take the extras home, but they were gone by the end of the day :smile:

1 Like

Prompt: December - candied fruit
Team: don’t stop Beleafing
Project Name: snowman
Project Link:
Brief Description: the colors of the hat and scarf are jewel toned. I made this for my moms white elephant exchange at her work.
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: December Battle- fruitcake
Project Name: Shadowbox for Mom
Project Link: Shadow boxes for parental units
Brief Description: This shadowbox features some miniatures that I made, including a fruit pie. Which is pretty close to a fruitcake. Sort of. It has fruit. But not figs, and since that is the other option, we’re going with fruit cake.
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: December - Figs
Project Name: Peace on Earth wall art
Project Link:
Brief Description: The motif on this wall art is round.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Pudding
Project Name: Shadowbox for dad
Project Link:
Brief Description: This shadowbox features several brown things: the guitar, the radio, and even the little papers that have the words on them are brown.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: December- Bread
Project Name: Kiddo’s birthday cake
Project Link:
Brief Description: This cake required some waiting time while baking. And it smelled good!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Advent #8
Project Name: candlestick tree
Project Link:
Brief Description: this tree is made with fabric.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent #9
Project Name: Money ATC
Project Link:
Brief Description: There’s a line in the song “Cold Cold Ground” that says, “ Bring a dollar with you, baby…“
Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Your little snowman is adorable, @storerboughtcreation!
I love how he is peeking over his scarf, so cute!

2 Likes

The microwave mug cozy is genius, @craftADDchick!

3 Likes

I love your shadow boxes. And I adore the candlestick tree. The colorful beads winding around it are so bright and cheerful :hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi I like the mixture of words and miniatures in your shadowboxes. And the candlestick tree is a really clever idea.

Meanwhile, I’m back to catching up at the last minute :woman_facepalming:t2: :
Prompt: Toe of Frog (October)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Playground ATC 1
Project Link: Big Ol' ATC Post
Brief Description: This side of the playground contains the hopscotch . . . court? Board? Whatever, the point is, hopping.
Project Photo(s): Bottom card in this photo
20221016_173347

Prompt: Eye of Newt (October)
Project Name: Playground ATC 2
Brief Description: This card has multiple ingredients (colored pencil, Sharpie, pen).
Project Photo(s): Top card in photo above.

Prompt: Wool of Bat (October)
Project Name: Murder, She Wrote ATC
Brief Description: The background is black.
Project Photo(s):
20221218_135536

Prompt: Monster Mash (Advent)
Project Name: Monster Love ATC
Brief Description: The dating site name MonsterMatch™ is inspired by the song.
Project Photo(s):
20221031_111340

Prompt: Bread (December)
Project Name: The Ghost that Walks ATC
Brief Description: This card is rectangular.
Project Photo(s):
20221031_111318

Prompt: Three Little Birds (Advent)
Project Name: Neon Pizza ATC
Brief Description: This card was inspired by a specific place, namely irid3sc3nt’s Pinterest feed :wink:.
Project Photo(s):
20221116_135539

Prompt: Undone [The Sweater Song] (Advent)
Project Name: Sweater Cards
Project Link: Ridiculous-Holiday-Sweater Christmas Cards
Brief Description: SWEATERS.
Project Photo(s):
20221201_211348

3 Likes