CLOSED - Nerd Games - Fall 2023

Prompt: Research Project #1
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: Quote book junk journal
Project Link: Quote book Junk journal
Brief Description: I went to visit my mother in law for a few days. We went to a play (Jekyll and Hyde-awesome) and spent the rest of our time using @LovelyMiss’ tutorial and kits (she kindly sent one for each of us) to make junk journals!

We made 4 signatures and intend our books to be written in as opposed to a cool collection of ephemera. So now we are collecting quotes to put into our journals.

Project Photo(s):

Crafty mayhem:

Exterior:

Some interior shots:

10 Likes

@storerboughtcreation — they are soooo cute! :smiley:

@Bunny1kenobi — The journal is lovely! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Added project link. :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Wow! Y’all smashed it. And there is another little sneak peak for what’s on the way for the other folks getting a kit!

4 Likes

Prompt: The Librarians (October)
Project Name: Watercolor mixed media
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: It’s made of paper and involves words. I also made it mostly from the library’s supplies, though not a pattern.
Project Photo: Here it is in my art journal.

Prompt: Blood and Treasure (October)
Project Name: Shirt ATC
Brief Description: This is made with artwork (from AIMR) and paint, is flat, AND is multicolored.
Project Photo: Photo by Lynx because I forgot to take one.

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Painty paper
Brief Description: At the library program where I made the top piece, I also used up my leftover paint and the scrap paper to make fodder.
Project Photo:

9 Likes

I’m excited to get my junk journal items later this week! I am looking forward to making something fun. Yours turned out awesome sauce!

4 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:

3 Likes

Fodder is sooo useful! Love your colors!

3 Likes

Your Dino’s are SO adorable! Their colors, their accessories, their sass… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

@megwell, ooh, I love the idea of making quick notecards from irregular paper/cardstock scraps, and these are really cute. I think I’ll try making some too, to send with my ATCs; that sounds really handy.

I love your t-shirt ATC, and I love that it goes so well with so many of the recipients’ sock cards :slight_smile:

@storerboughtcreation I love your dinosaurs; they’re so cute! I especially love the tiny carrot, too :heart: I love that the dinosaur is carrying a purse :heart:

@Bunny1kenobi Your quote book junk journal is amazing!!! Beautifully put together. Did you bind it yourself? I love the gold on the spine.

5 Likes

I did bind it! I followed the tutorial that @LovelyMiss posted.

4 Likes

This is for the Care pin. It is not really something that I can add as a prompt, I don’t think, because this was a joint effort involving over 20 people who are fellow employees and their family members, in addition to the awesome people at Feed My Starving Children.

Our team alone created packages of, and then packed, 21 boxes of Manna Pack rice destined for a Third World or disaster stricken area. During the session, our team and the other people participating altogether packed 192 boxes that will feed 40,000 people over the next year! That’s pretty spectacular.

Me (center) with co-workers Annette (L) and Lisa (R):

Boxing our packages (36 packages per box-our team did 21 boxes in just over an hour):

7 Likes

This is such an amazing volunteer effort. I love this! You just helped 40k people have something to put on the table to eat. That is awesome.

5 Likes

Thanks! It was both fun and rewarding!

5 Likes

Wow! Awesome work, @Bunny1kenobi ! I’ve packed with them before and know it can be labor-intensive - that’s a huge haul you all completed! Thank you for sharing this goodness-in-the-world with us!

6 Likes

What a great way to spend an hour - making a difference in so many people’s lives!

3 Likes

Prompt: October Battle - Prehistoric Archeology
Team: So Corn-fused
Project Name: Leather + Bead Necklace 1
Project Link: Leather + Bead Necklaces
Brief Description: I made some necklaces as part of my holiday crafting spree. The photos can communicate the project without a bunch of wordy descriptions and it has a simplistic vibe, so…Pre-historic.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Relic Hunter
Project Name: Leather + Bead Necklace 2
Brief Description: This one has a old or vintage look, has ceramic (clay) beads, and has gray!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - The Librarians
Project Name: Leather + Bead Necklace 3
Brief Description: This one has black cord and white on the beads.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - The Detectorists
Brief Description: This one has metal and gold.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Blood and Treasure
Brief Description: This is multicolored (and the ring is both round and flat).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Uncharted
Brief Description: This has blue, and I’ve never made necklaces like this before now, so also new to me.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Week 1 Creep
Project Name: Scrappy Trees
Project Link: Scrappy Tree Ornaments
Brief Description: I made these for the Small Batch Ornament Swap over a number of days. I ended up changing my offering because they were a mm too thick to send as a regular letter. (My replacement ones are below.) It was extra annoying because dimensions were on my mind as I was crafting and I was making sure they weren’t getting over a 1/4 inch or 3 oz for letter weight. Once the minimal packaging was added in though, too thick. Whomp whomp. Anyway, I made the scrap fabric twine that I wrapped to make the tree bases, made the pom poms on top, used balled up thread and spongey pom poms I cut in half for the ornaments, a bit of lace ribbon for the trunks, and the hangers from leather cord.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Advent - Week 2 Psycho Killer
Project Name: Felt Flower Crown Bears
Project Link:
Brief Description: Here are my replacement offerings for the ornament swap. I was trying to only use what I had, so I went back to felt to make sure they’re flat enough! I really don’t like cutting. It’s my least favorite part of any project. So, these took a lot of meticulous focus and detail to have them kind of match. I sketched out a drawing and mini pattern before beginning, which helped a bit.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Graffiti Fabric Collage Cards
Project Link: Graffiti Fabric Collage Cards
Brief Description: I made these for the Homemade Greeting Card Swap. Technically I made them last round, but my partners hadn’t received yet, so here they are now!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Felt Bowls/Baskets
Project Link: Felt Bowls/Baskets - Get Ahead of the Holidays Challenge Entry
Brief Description: And finally, I also made these for the holidays. Part of the time was trial-and-erroring my pattern. I kept having to make small adjustments that necessitated starting over - I finally got one that worked in the end!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Here is my CARE submission. I will come back and comment soon.
I just finished my first (and only) craft show. I did it to help support the shelter I foster and adopt from. I hospice fostered for three years and then switched to special needs cats. I adopted a cat that was run over by a fire truck and had to have several operations to save her life. Her leg was amputated, but nothing slows my little girl down. I wanted to help give back because I know the surgeries to save Tobin were expensive.
The show was very, very small and slow. About 40% of the venders didn’t even show up. I ended up spreading out over two booths to help make it appear fuller. In the end, I raised $262 for the shelter and I am going to company match it so I can donate $512 (my company matches up to $250).

And you can see my wonderful mom in the pic above (she’s in blue).
And a shout out to @kwality570 who donated the Smitty’s Kittys to adopt and the reversible baskets! Thank you so much!!!

8 Likes

That looks incredible, go you!

3 Likes

That booth looks fantastic!!!

3 Likes