CLOSED - Nerd Games - Fall 2023

Nerd Games Anniversary Events

Junk Journal Challenge

Make a junk journal during the Fall 2023 Nerd Games season and you’ll be entered into a drawing to win an Amazon gift card! (Winner will be drawn after the season ends and gift card will be sent electronically. Winner must provide an email address for delivery.) Here is a tutorial if you’re looking for some ideas.

To enter the drawing, submit a junk journal as a project in the Fall 2023 Nerd Games thread, and send the link to the post of your completed journal to LovelyMiss, anytime by 11:59 pm (central) on Sunday, December 31, 2023.

Junk Journal Drawing Entry Form

Link to your completed junk journal post in the Fall 2023 Nerd Games Thread:

Nerd Games Crafty Crossword

Complete the Nerd Games Crafty Crossword anytime during the Fall season and get a small prize! PM LovelyMiss an image of your completed crossword using the form below by Sunday, December 31, 2023 @ 11:59 pm (central).

To submit your puzzle, do not post it publicly, PM it to LovelyMiss ONLY using the form below. You can complete it digitally or print/complete/and send an image. Whatever works best for you!

Nerd Game Crafty Crossword Claim Form

ATTACH AN IMAGE OF YOUR COMPLETED CROSSWORD. (Do NOT post your completed crossword puzzle in any public threads!)

Name and address as it should be formatted for mailing (including country):

5 Likes

Got my crossword in! Thanks @LovelyMiss for a fun game.

1 Like

Prompt: Historic Archeology (October Battle)
Team: Gourd of the Rings
Project Name: More scrap notecards
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made some more quickie notecards using weird cardstock leftovers (one is actually two hinged together with washi) and some stickers/pens. They’ll include a written record of the ATCs I’m sending.
Project Photo:

8 Likes

Really trying to stay caught up this season. (Will come back and laugh ruefully at this come December.)
Prompt: The Detectorists (October)
Project Name: Button magnets
Project Link: Fridge Magnets from Buttons (as in Pins)
Brief Description: The buttons I used for this project are metal.
Project Photo:

7 Likes

Every season I plan on staying on top of things, and by the middle of the first month I’m always behind. I hope you have more perseverance than me! Good luck!

6 Likes

I feel like I’m finally getting the hang of the different things on this site, so I’m going to try to jump in to the nerd games and actually do all the things more of the things this time around :blush:

Prompt: Blood and Treasure
Team: Don’t Stop Beleafing
Project Name: Inktober Days 1-3 mashup
Project Link: Inktober First 3 Days Mashup (includes a spider)
Brief Description: The paper I used for the drawing is flat, and I used multiple colours. I missed the first 3 days, so I decided to combine them into 1 drawing. Day 1’s theme was “dream,” day 2 was “spiders” (which is why I have blurred the photo), and day 3 was “path.” A road counts as a path, right?
Project Photo(s):

inktober 1-3

9 Likes

@megwell — Great cards! I really enjoy how you juxtaposition the phrase with the images in your cards. :slight_smile:

@LindyBlues — Great way to combine the first few prompts! :slight_smile: The spider is really well done, and I love the silvery web. :slight_smile: :spider_web:

4 Likes

I love the heads up and blurred photo. My bug/arachnid phobia is really bad, so I greatly appreciate it. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you @bluebird!

@storerboughtcreation, you’re welcome! When I first joined the site, I was looking around and saw a member who requested “no spiders” on an ATC swap. I figured it might be a phobia, so I decided to blur all spiders going forward, just in case. I can’t remember who the member was, but I suppose it may have been you.

Arachnid phobia was a bit of an inspiration for the “3-day mashup” drawing I made. It’s a woman dreaming. There are two dream “thought bubbles.” One of them is a spider, and then there are “dream dots” leading to another dream/thought bubble, which is a woman running away, saying “aaaa!” She’s running on a road. I hope this description includes you without causing undue stress. If the latter is the case, please let me know, and I will delete this text. Also, while I don’t mind spiders, centipedes completely freak me out, and even writing the word gives me the heebie-jeebies. So I completely understand not wanting to see something that gives you that feeling :heart:

Writing this also makes me wonder… perhaps I should include text description with my photos going forward.

5 Likes

Edited to add community post link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Descriptions like this are fine. Now, if you start describing hairy legs… :nauseated_face:

I don’t do any ATC stuff, so it wasn’t me. But even butterflies and ladybugs are terrifying. I’m totally cool with snakes and other reptiles/amphibians though. Go figure. :rofl:

2 Likes

I may be misremembering about the ATCs… I just saw “no spiders” somewhere when I was “creeping” the site, no pun intended (well, maybe just a little bit :joy:)

3 Likes

That’s very thoughtful of you. :slight_smile: I’m sure its a pretty common fear. I don’t care for creepy bugs, but its not a phobia. :slight_smile: Geekgirl is the one in the ATC swaps with ‘no spiders’ in her profile.

5 Likes

I agree! And, I’m glad it was brought up because I have a project that might be spider heavy! So, I’ll make sure to blur the photo and put the trigger warning.

6 Likes

Prompt: October - Battle - Prehistoric
Project Name: Mimsy
Project Link: Mimsy and Whimsy the dino sisters
Brief Description: Dinosaurs are prehistoric… as far as we know anyway. :wink:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Relic Hunter
Project Name: “straw” hat
Brief Description: This hat used wool I bought from a local crafty thrift shop, plus it was in a bazillion pieces (seriously, I had so many ends to weave in when I was done), because of dodo of a team mascot decided to chew on it. :roll_eyes: This hat took me FOREVER to make, and probably qualifies for a research project when paired with the tote.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - The Librarians
Project Name: Newsboy cap
Brief Description: I used a pattern to make this hat.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - The Detectorists
Project Name: “feather” head piece
Brief Description: This has a metal button embellishment on it, and I think it really makes the piece.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Blood and Treasure
Project Name: Dark brown hat
Brief Description: This is called a flat top hat. Or a golf cap. Or a scally cap. It has a few different names. But it’s flat
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: October - Uncharted
Project Name: “straw” tote
Brief Description: I have worked in the backside loop (not the back loop of the stitch, but the loop hidden at the backside of the stitch) plenty of times, but I didn’t know you could do it with single crochet. I’ve always seen it done with hdc.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Whimsy
Brief Description: She’s not a small dinosaur
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: mustache
Brief Description: This was quick to whip up.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap
Project Name: Carrot
Brief Description: This was quick to whip up. It fits inside the straw tote
Project Photo(s):

9 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Project Name: Quote book junk journal
Project Link: Quote book Junk journal
Brief Description: I went to visit my mother in law for a few days. We went to a play (Jekyll and Hyde-awesome) and spent the rest of our time using @LovelyMiss’ tutorial and kits (she kindly sent one for each of us) to make junk journals!

We made 4 signatures and intend our books to be written in as opposed to a cool collection of ephemera. So now we are collecting quotes to put into our journals.

Project Photo(s):

Crafty mayhem:

Exterior:

Some interior shots:

10 Likes

@storerboughtcreation — they are soooo cute! :smiley:

@Bunny1kenobi — The journal is lovely! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Added project link. :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Wow! Y’all smashed it. And there is another little sneak peak for what’s on the way for the other folks getting a kit!

4 Likes

Prompt: The Librarians (October)
Project Name: Watercolor mixed media
Brief Description: It’s made of paper and involves words. I also made it mostly from the library’s supplies, though not a pattern.
Project Photo: Here it is in my art journal.

Prompt: Blood and Treasure (October)
Project Name: Shirt ATC
Brief Description: This is made with artwork (from AIMR) and paint, is flat, AND is multicolored.
Project Photo: Photo by Lynx because I forgot to take one.

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Painty paper
Brief Description: At the library program where I made the top piece, I also used up my leftover paint and the scrap paper to make fodder.
Project Photo:

9 Likes